Thread: Another parent who looks to the state for parenting help - funny story

Banned

Another parent who looks to the state for parenting help - funny story

When he would not get up Monday morning, the mother said she threatened to throw water on him, and he responded by saying that if she did he would tear up their home, according to police.

The woman did splash water on him, at which time the boy punched a window and threw household items, including a large vase and a wall mirror, which shattered, police said.

http://onlineathens.com/blotter/2013...etting-out-bed

At least the boy is not a liar....

There is a much easier way to get recalcitrant teenagers out of their warm bed in the morning. Buy a couple of bags of glass marbles and put them in the freezer.

Warn your teen that you will only call them X number of times (two is the most I would give) before you take unpleasant action against them.

When the teen does not get out of bed, get the frosty marbles, open the bag, pull the covers up just a little, and pour the marbles into the bed with the teen.

When those icy cold marbles hit that nice warm rear end, you will be treated to the sight of a teenager levitating out of the bed!! Only rarely is a repeat performance necessary.

As a side note, this doesn't get the bed wet, either!
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    There is a much easier way to get recalcitrant teenagers out of their warm bed in the morning. Buy a couple of bags of glass marbles and put them in the freezer.

Warn your teen that you will only call them X number of times (two is the most I would give) before you take unpleasant action against them.

When the teen does not get out of bed, get the frosty marbles, open the bag, pull the covers up just a little, and pour the marbles into the bed with the teen.

When those icy cold marbles hit that nice warm rear end, you will be treated to the sight of a teenager levitating out of the bed!! Only rarely is a repeat performance necessary.

As a side note, this doesn't get the bed wet, either!
    This is pure genius....

The boy’s mother told police that her son had been tardy more than 30 times already this year because of his reluctance to get out of bed.
    I'm very tempted to say "that there is a parenting problem", but at what point does a teen become responsible to get himself up in the morning, not act like a 3yo, etc.?

Obviously it's a parenting problem because he's 14 & acting like he's 3, thinks violence is the appropriate response to his mom caring enough not to let him be late again, can't control his anger.

But it's also a failure of the child to grow, develop, learn.
    I wonder if he's been checked for any medical condition which makes waking up early difficult, like depression?
    (In which case, the parents should enforce an earlier bedtime.)
    Hey, Junior - if you can't get up on time & behave like a civilized human being, you're going to lose your electronics overnight, you're going to go to bed 30 min earlier every night until you can get up on time & behave appropriately.

But if she couldn't control a violent teen, I have no disagreement with asking police to do it, & leaving him sitting in jail for the day.
    Maybe he'll get it through his head that he's heading down the wrong path.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I wonder how many kids the deleted has to develop all these critical child rearing skills? Why do we have to hear from life's failures?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

SNIP

SNIP
    Two is the most?! I'm sure you're the "I told you once" kinda parent, just like me.

Yes parents, if you have to say something to your child more than once, you're not doing your job.

I remember a few mornings where I just couldn't get out of bed for school.

A (not by me) strategically placed bag of frozen peas provided quite a bit of motivation to vacate my sleeping space as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I'm very tempted to say "that there is a parenting problem", but at what point does a teen become responsible to get himself up in the morning, not act like a 3yo, etc.?
    If he's acting like a 3 yr old at 14, it's highly probably that it's the parent's fault.

Obviously it's a parenting problem because he's 14 & acting like he's 3, thinks violence is the appropriate response to his mom caring enough not to let him be late again, can't control his anger.
    Exactly.

But it's also a failure of the child to grow, develop, learn.
    I wonder if he's been checked for any medical condition which makes waking up early difficult, like depression?
    Typically the failure of the child to grow, develop, learn, is the parent's fault. That's why they're the parents. It's always a possibility that a medical condition can complicate the parent/child relationship, but if the parent is doing their job, they'll recognize this.
    (In which case, the parents should enforce an earlier bedtime.)
    Hey, Junior - if you can't get up on time & behave like a civilized human being, you're going to lose your electronics overnight, you're going to go to bed 30 min earlier every night until you can get up on time & behave appropriately.
    It's impractical to enforce silly "bedtime" rules on a teenager that will "wreck the house". Behavior problems become unmanageable when children become teens. This is why an effective, consistant discipline system must be part of the child's life from the beginning.

But if she couldn't control a violent teen, I have no disagreement with asking police to do it, & leaving him sitting in jail for the day.
    Maybe he'll get it through his head that he's heading down the wrong path.
    It is unfortunate that many parents don't know how to... well... be a parent. They do a poor job of parenting and then frustratingly hand over their child to the state when things get out of hand. The state loves this... Liberty doesn't.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 11-06-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Banned
    Need a visit by the Oompa-Loompas ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0zZttfUaw

They'll take that bag of cold marbles and club him in the head until he needs to go to the ER ... I mean on the father ! As the Oompa-Loompas say,,,what is the reason why your kid is a brat..parents!
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-06-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I wonder how many kids the deleted has to develop all these critical child rearing skills? Why do we have to hear from life's failures?
    Because us parents are dropping the ball and neglecting to teach our children how to be... PARENTS.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Because us parents are dropping the ball and neglecting to teach our children how to be... PARENTS.
    My mother tied one of my siblings to the bed to insure he got his needed sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    My point is that I, parent, did not drop the ball.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

There is a much easier way to get recalcitrant teenagers out of their warm bed in the morning. Buy a couple of bags of glass marbles and put them in the freezer. <snip>
    Only works if the kid is not wearing clothes (PJs or other sleeping attire).

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Only works if the kid is not wearing clothes (PJs or other sleeping attire).
    Wanna bet?
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

While we may all laugh at the troubles of both parent and child, I pause to remind you that the mother's actions in calling for help may in fact be self-preservation.

Parents are ultimately criminally and civilly responsible for seeing that their children who are within the age of mandatory school attendance in fact get there. Many cases of parents doing time in the pokey for not getting their kid inside the schoolhouse door.

My favorite story is of the mother whose teenage daughter would get off the school bus a few streets away from home. Mom started driving her and taking her inside to the principal's office. Kid then started ditching school. After several episodes of that mom bought a pair of handcuffs and spent all day at school with the kid. Kom went to juvie cpourt trying to get permission to chain the kid at home to prevent her from running away when the kid thought that would keep her out of school. While turned down, the judge did approve lo-jacking the kid with an ankle GPS w/ speaker - if the kid was reported as not at school they would start looking for her while broadcasting a message that she was a runaway and truant. Kid spent a few weekends in juvie lockup for trying to remove/destroy the device. The end of the story? The kid gave up and decided it was easier to just go to and stay in the school building. (She did no work and failed, but that humiliation is another story.)

If it takes going to those extremres to demonstrate who is the parent and who is te child, those are the extremes you must go to. Or go to court and tell the judge you cannot control the kid/do not want the kid any more and let the state screw up their life.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Skid, you hit the nail right on the head. What many younger parents fail to realize is that you are not supposed to be your kid's "best friend"; you are supposed to be that child's mother or father. Yes, you are supposed to show them love and treat them with love and kindness. No, you are not supposed to let a child run roughshod all over you.

There is no earthly excuse for beating a child, but there are many children who would benefit from an application of the board of education to the seat of knowledge. And I strongly disagree with the edumacated idiots who say that spanking a child will make them violent. Letting the little buggers run hog wild and pig crazy is what makes them violent. Children have to be taught to be civilized.

Probably the most important thing about disciplining a child is letting that child know that, while you must punish them for their misdeed, you have not stopped loving them. Momma and Dad both wore my tail out when I needed it (frequently!), but I always knew I was loved. The other thing is, once the punishment is administered, the matter should be dropped unless the offense is repeated.