Thread: White racists more likely to be gun owners: study by Brit & Aussie Uni. DILLIGAF?

White racists more likely to be gun owners: study by Brit & Aussie Uni. DILLIGAF?

The report, published in the peer-reviewed online publication PLoS One, said that for each one-point increase “there was a 50 percent increase in the odds of having a gun in the home and a 28 percent increase in support for policies allowing people to carry concealed guns.”

While symbolic racism, which is a subtle but modern measure of anti-black racism, was associated with higher rates of gun ownership, researchers also attempted to identify signs of overt racism, which did not appear to have any correlation to gun ownership.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ership-racism/

I'll link to PLoS One shortly

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetch...esentation=PDF 10 pages 123 KB
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-06-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quite frankly, considering that the objective of many of the early "gun control" laws, especially here in the South, was to disarm everyone not a WASP, I am amazed at this result.

I would challenge these "researchers" (I suspect an agenda there) to do some honest research on the origins of gun control. with emphasis on the ethnicity of the groups targeted by those laws.

Considering the level of violence both within and directed at the black community, I am more than a little shocked that more law-abiding black citizens are not armed to protect themselves and their families. As an example, we are at forty-two homicides and counting for the year here in Montgomery; almost all, if not all, of those homicides are black.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

" The study says that during the civil rights movement black activists exercised their right to carry guns for protection from police and extreme white factions, and that the response white people was to demand stricter gun control."

This is BS.. I'm not a racist I have lots of black guns

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Given that ~20% of the population is black, I fail to see the relevance of citizens choosing to not go armed when they clearly have the right to do so.....thugs don't count.

John R. Lott's evaluation and extensive comments.

UPDATE 2: I was so curious why these authors didn’t run the same regressions on non-whites, I decided to do it myself. First, my attempt to redo their regression result for gun ownership. My question is whether it is credible that these researchers didn’t try to run these regressions on non-whites. I find that hard to believe, if only as a way of double checking their results. Click on screen shots of the regression data to make them larger. All the variables used in the O’Brien et al paper are used here with the exception of the “implicit racism” variable, which they found no evidence that it was statistically significant in any case.
    http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...icy-decisions/

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Given that ~20% of the population is black, I fail to see the relevance of citizens choosing to not go armed when they clearly have the right to do so.....thugs don't count.
    That would be 13%.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

I think every color under the sun should be able to own a gun. Providing they can legally of course. The race card is getting really worn out.

So...
    Light'em Up!

Given that ~20% ~13% of the population is black, I fail to see the relevance of citizens choosing to not go armed when they clearly have the right to do so.....thugs don't count.

Thanks for the correction.

Dilligaf... No, no it does not.

I'm sorry, but...

I read this far in the report, and the opening remarks included this:
    "The public health importance of gun reform in the US is clear and should not need such tragedies for policy change."
    and stopped reading. I got the distinct impression that the entire report would be highly skewed in favor of stricter gun control, using "racism" simply as the rationale, so I skimmed through the rest of the article. For all it's "objectivity", the report may as well have been written by Piers Morgan. Perhaps I am now under-informed, but the preceding - coupled with the fact that the researchers are all from countries with Draconian gun ownership laws (compared to the USA) - tells me there is an agenda... one that carries with it the odor of BS.

The implication seems to be that "white racists" are the primary owners of firearms, and there are no "racists" of color. There is no question that some gun owners are racist to some degree, and to believe otherwise is foolish. It is equally foolish to assume that there are no black Americans who are racist. I cannot recall the last time I read or saw a news report claiming that a white man had shot a black man simply because of his skin color. Possibly in the early 1960s? The Ku Kluxers seem to be no longer disposed toward the random elimination of blacks, but there are gangs of blacks (primarily black youth) roaming the streets of many of our major cities "playing" something called the Knockout Game. The "game" consists of one member assaulting an unsuspecting white person, and trying to knock them out with one punch. This attack is usually followed by the group kicking and punching the victim into unconsciousness - or worse.

I went searching for stats, and - to be fair - I went to one of the most liberal sources I could think of for those stats - The Huffington Post (I figured that if anybody would play it down, it would be the Huff-n-Puff) SURPRISE! Here's what I found there...
    ...according to a 2005 Bureau of Justice Statistics report, more than 90 percent of black murder victims are killed by other black people. And if we look at interracial murder, there are about twice as many black-on-white murders as the other way around, and that ratio has held steady for decades.
    I can't imagine why some white folks - perhaps many... maybe most - do not trust black strangers! I'm guessing that a lot of black folks don't trust white strangers much - and black strangers even less, simply because the black man is perceived as more likely to do them bodily harm.

My "bottom-line" is that owning a firearm or two - or twenty - does not automatically qualify one as a "racist"! It is the "color" of one's heart that makes them a racist, combined with actions designed to intimidate, denigrate, humiliate, or discriminate against another person based upon race or ethnicity. "Symbolic racism"? I consider that to be a swastika painted on a Jewish temple, a flaming cross planted in a black persons front yard, or a firebomb tossed into an AME Zionist church. I do not see firearms as "symbols of racism". Just my worth. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 11-07-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Typo...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    I read this far in the report, and the opening remarks included this: and stopped reading. I got the distinct impression that the entire report would be highly skewed in favor of stricter gun control, using "racism" simply as the rationale, so I skimmed through the rest of the article. For all it's "objectivity", the report may as well have been written by Piers Morgan. Perhaps I am now under-informed, but the preceding - coupled with the fact that the researchers are all from countries with Draconian gun ownership laws (compared to the USA) - tells me there is an agenda... one that carries with it the odor of BS.

The implication seems to be that "white racists" are the primary owners of firearms, and there are no "racists" of color. There is no question that some gun owners are racist to some degree, and to believe otherwise is foolish. It is equally foolish to assume that there are no black Americans who are racist. I cannot recall the last time I read or saw a news report claiming that a white man had shot a black man simply because of his skin color. Possibly in the early 1960s? The Ku Kluxers seem to be no longer disposed toward the random elimination of blacks, but there are gangs of blacks (primarily black youth) roaming the streets of many of our major cities "playing" something called the Knockout Game. The "game" consists of one member assaulting an unsuspecting white person, and trying to knock them out with one punch. This attack is usually followed by the group kicking and punching the victim into unconsciousness - or worse.

I went searching for stats, and - to be fair - I went to one of the most liberal sources I could think of for those stats - The Huffington Post (I figured that if anybody would play it down, it would be the Huff-n-Puff) SURPRISE! Here's what I found there... I can't imagine why some white folks - perhaps many... maybe most - do not trust black strangers! I'm guessing that a lot of black folks don't trust white strangers much - and black strangers even less, simply because the black man is perceived as more likely to do them bodily harm.

My "bottom-line" is that owning a firearm or two - or twenty - does not automatically qualify one as a "racist"! It is the "color" of one's heart that makes them a racist, combined with actions designed to intimidate, denigrate, humiliate, or discriminate against another person based upon race or ethnicity. "Symbolic racism"? I consider that to be a swastika painted on a Jewish temple, a flaming cross planted in a black persons front yard, or a firebomb tossed into an AME Zionist church. I do not see firearms as "symbols of racism". Just my worth. Pax...
    Interesting you brought this up as it is virtually taboo in most circles and on so many sites. But it is true. Racist behavior is far more prevalent among blacks against whites than the other way around [Dr. Thomas Sowell, Dinesh D'Souza, Dr. Walter Williams, and others]. One dare not utter these truths, especially in the print and broadcast media because heads are in the sand when truth makes itself known.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 11-07-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Given that ~20% ~13% of the population is black, I fail to see the relevance of citizens choosing to not go armed when they clearly have the right to do so.....thugs don't count.

Thanks for the correction.
    I don't understand the relevance of this statistic.

And remember children, there's no such thing as a 'black racist.'
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Junk Study.

Mr. Black_water called it using far fewer words than I.

Mr. Black_water called it using far fewer words than I.
    Better words too.

Unfortunately with less impact than John R. Lott's evaluation and extensive comments (above), except to the Howdy Doody Peanut Gallery here.