Thread: Reading PA Robbers shot dead

Reading PA Robbers shot dead

Don't see in this article where it mentioned if the 'guy from downstairs with the gun' was open carrying or not, but when the robbers pointed their guns at him he was ready. I like the neighbors comments to the relative of one of the perps.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=518277
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    "He should have never done what he done, but how do you tell your kids? How do you tell his brother's kids? How do you tell his kids?" she said. (from link)

hmmmm... how about "HE BE DEAD !"

And, of course, the families say it's not fair.

http://bearingarms.com/mother-of-thu...-its-not-fair/
    I carry everywhere because crime doesn't make appointments.

Now come on they where just hard working men going on after work /S
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertongue View Post
    And, of course, the families say it's not fair.

http://bearingarms.com/mother-of-thu...-its-not-fair/
    Whoever said that life is "fair"? Is it fair that someone who worked hard for their money had to be faced with an armed thug who wanted to take that money away from them? Is it fair that a citizen had to make the decision as to whether he was going to be shot or be the shooter?

I am getting sick and tired of hearing, "But he was such a good person", or "He was just turning his life around", or "He wouldn't hurt anyone". Hellooooo!! Good people don't stick a gun/knife in someone's face and demand money. People turning their life around don't go around threatening other people's lives. People who wouldn't hurt anyone.....well, I think you get the picture.

I do think that this scenario is going to become more frequent until the criminal/thug element gets the message that people are tired of being helpless victims.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Here in Virginia the guy who shot the two robbers would probably be the one getting charged with murder. Not sure if the felony murder rule (which VA does not "officially" have) would apply to the getaway driver.

The robbery was completed. Nobody was being threatened with imminent death or great bodily harm when the guy came up on the scene. He created a threat of imminent death or great bodily harm when he drew on the two guys.

Yes, the world is probably better off without those two, who might have continued their criminal ways and eventually shot someone. But even though they do not plsay by the rules, we are "duty bound" to do so in order to keep our Good Guy white hats.

My considered opinion is that cheering for the shooter in this situation is pretty much dancing in the blood of innocent victims.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Really!!! ????

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Here in Virginia the guy who shot the two robbers would probably be the one getting charged with murder. Not sure if the felony murder rule (which VA does not "officially" have) would apply to the getaway driver.

The robbery was completed. Nobody was being threatened with imminent death or great bodily harm when the guy came up on the scene. He created a threat of imminent death or great bodily harm when he drew on the two guys.

Yes, the world is probably better off without those two, who might have continued their criminal ways and eventually shot someone. But even though they do not plsay by the rules, we are "duty bound" to do so in order to keep our Good Guy white hats.

My considered opinion is that cheering for the shooter in this situation is pretty much dancing in the blood of innocent victims.

stay safe.
    Did you just describe, two armed robbers, as innocent VICTIMS????
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Cool

stay safe.
    Please re-read the articles. They turned and pointed their weapons at him and he defend himself.

stay safe.
    not totally sure what happened since i wasn't there...but despite a completed robbery the story says the robbers pointed a gun at the shooter. that would qualify as reasonable belief in serious bodily injury if you ask me...but i've been called an idiot before. the people on scene seem to back up this version of events. so, it sounds like a good shoot...though there is no such thing as a good shoot. if you're shooting...things are bad. i bet the shooter didn't go home, crack open an ice cold bud and smile about his day.
    Last edited by CT Barfly; 11-07-2013 at 03:17 PM.

If a cop had been standing outside the store with gun drawn (a reasonable precaution knowing they were engaged in an armed robbery and probably wouldn't exit the store unarmed), and as the criminals exited the store they observed the officer, turned in his direction, and raised their weapons and were then shot by the cop, would you feel the same?

I actually laughed when I read your statement because I thought you were kidding and felt it was a good jab at bleeding heart liberals. Not saying you are a bleeding heart liberal, but I did truly think you were kidding.

P.S. While I wouldn't advise people to engage in the citizen's actions of waiting for armed robbers to exit the store, I'm going to go with "fleeing felon rule", and perhaps even reasonable use of force to effect a citizen's arrest of a felony committed in his presence to support his conduct. Again, from a practical standpoint his conduct was dumb, but I'm glad the bad guys didn't get away and also glad the two "innocent victims" are no longer a menace to society.
    Last edited by BrianB; 11-07-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added postscript.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)
    If you CCW, consider the benefits of joining CCWSafe.com.

I just read another article on the shooting and it gave a different account of events that's weighted even more heavily in favor of the shooter.

Original article here.
    A concerned citizen witnessed the robbery happening from outside the store and waited there for the suspects.

The armed men took cash, cigarettes and lottery tickets before exiting the store. Outside they were confronted by the concerned citizen who told them not to move and that he was calling police.

Adams said a struggle ensued and the suspects took out their weapons. The citizen, however, was also armed and fired at the suspects.

The suspects were both shot in the chest and died at the scene.

Police took the armed citizen in for questioning, but after reviewing video of the incident and speaking with a number of witnesses, authorities released the man.

Adams said the shooter was very cooperative. The man had a license to carry, and since he was threatened at gunpoint, no charges are expected to be filed.
    Also, the "getaway driver" that was subsequently arrested has been charged with the murder of the two men as Pennsylvania has a "felony murder" rule that says he's responsible for their deaths as he was an accomplice to the commission of the felony.
    NRA Certified Instructor

my jaw dropped when i seen this video., just how stupid is this family? if i were them i would be hanging my head in shame. wonder if they voted for Obama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-JmmkxolkA

SKIDMARK, i was wondering if you were serious are you missed the point in the story
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

ive been following this story pretty close. the DA seems very pro 2A but they did have multiple witnesses and CCTV. the citizen clearly went above and beyond what the average person would but i think he is able to kindly ask them to wait for the police, they chose to draw their guns and try to shoot him instead of following a lawful order.

whoa one of the shooters had a hand cannon! no wonder he couldnt draw first! looks like it has an 8-10" barrel

that was some quick shooting too considering he beat two other guys to the draw and shot both of them.

holy hell, i cant watch this video, "he was never a bad person", good boy, he's not no big thug or hard criminal (dont hard criminals commit felonies?). i love the one short bald guy... "how about people just start running around here policing the city on their own? how much worse will it get?" umm it'll probably get better.
    Last edited by Kopis; 12-10-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    my jaw dropped when i seen this video., just how stupid is this family? if i were them i would be hanging my head in shame. wonder if they voted for Obama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-JmmkxolkA
    His mom said the dead young perp might have been 'doing it to pay his child-support'.....maybe a little crack for daddy, but still.. what a touching story of a dad trying to support his ex-wife's child....So sorry he couldn't have continued his life and grown up to reach his full potential....
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    His mom said the dead young perp might have been 'doing it to pay his child-support'.....maybe a little crack for daddy, but still.. what a touching story of a dad trying to support his ex-wife's child....So sorry he couldn't have continued his life and grown up to reach his full potential....
    Considering how the states treat, alleged, fathers in child support cases, I kinda understand the feeling.

Most cases never get a day in a court of law, just an administrative (you're guilty) court and then are hounded until the end of times.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    So sorry he couldn't have continued his life and grown up to reach his full potential....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Gr3FsJ4A0
    NRA Certified Instructor

I have to agree with skid here. I was generally opposed to the citizen getting involved and creating a situation where the judicious decision would be to stay out of the way, remember features and license plates. But I was appalled when I read the headline in the second link on a pro-2nd Amendment website (Mother of thug killed during armed robbery whines “it’s not fair”) along with some of yall's commentary. A mother's grief should never be played off as whining. Also, while the armed robbers were not innocent victims, they could've just as easily been convicts. It's not our place to "clean up the streets" and I know that a good number of members here seem responsible enough. However, the bravado and course discussion of this story was a bit of a turn off and yall may not want to be quoted on some of these things.

Banned
    "If only I had raised him to respect others, to be honest, to not be a thug..." "If he hadn't chosen to break the law..." "My son is gone, and there is no one to blame but me and him..."

I could get behind those expressions of grief.

But, "It's not fair"? Nope. That's immature whining. She built him. She should live with the consequences. He won't.