Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Freaked Customer

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    86

    Freaked Customer

    I'm stocking shelves and notice a guy packing a revolver, not a big deal and continue with my work. about two minutes later a panicked customer comes to me and says "that guy over there has a gun"! I reply in a very courteous way "this is Idaho and everyone has a gun, it's legal in this state to carry". the customer gave me a dirty look like I was supposed to do something about it. I went back to work immediately and figured this ***** must be just another protectionist.

    big store in Nampa

    I do know how to spell ****** the page is censoring me
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-07-2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Verbiage & public image

  2. #2
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by jugglzo View Post
    ... "that guy over there has a gun"! I reply in a very courteous way "this is Idaho and everyone has a gun, it's legal in this state to carry". .
    The movie Miss Congeniality - Sandra Bullock jumps a guy in the crowd with a gun - Candice Bergen says 'Of course he had a gun. This is Texas, everybody has a gun. My florist has a gun'.

    Shopper should have stayed back East where it is much safer with gun control /so
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  3. #3
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    .....back east, or California.....

  4. #4
    Regular Member Eeyore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Shopper should have stayed back East where it is much safer with gun control /so
    Generalizations are dangerous. Vermont is very much in the east, and it has Constitutional carry. Virginia has very reasonable gun laws, and it's in the east. Meanwhile, Texas (where "everybody has a gun") bans OC. So region is not necessarily an indicator.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

  5. #5
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Virginia is in the South. Some say Maryland is also in the South, I disagree. Easterners (yankees) and folks from Kalifornia do not necessarily speak to geography but mindset.

    And Texas is a whole other country, just ask a Texan.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by jugglzo View Post
    I'm stocking shelves and notice a guy packing a revolver, not a big deal and continue with my work. about two minutes later a panicked customer comes to me and says "that guy over there has a gun"! I reply in a very courteous way "this is Idaho and everyone has a gun, it's legal in this state to carry". the customer gave me a dirty look like I was supposed to do something about it. I went back to work immediately and figured this ***** must be just another protectionist.

    big store in Nampa

    I do know how to spell ****** the page is censoring me
    Any type of censorship is bad, even if meant to be for good ..... good intentions, bad results.

    You should have said "oh, that's just my brother ... I would not interact with him, he has a bad temper - killed 20 people last week" and then watch the panic set in...
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-07-2013 at 11:55 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Tx
    Posts
    326
    "And Texas is a whole other country, just ask a Texan. "



    We very often wish we were!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    3
    It's really amazing to me how a tool can cause such a frenzy in some folks... A few years ago I was taking an o/u shotgun into a pawn shop in Moscow to see what they'd give me for it and was carrying it down the sidewalk a block or two because parking is horrendous in that town and I couldn't park any closer. It was unloaded (of course) with the barrel open and was pointed safely at the ground. Looking back at it now, I probably should have had it in a case or taken the barrel off but I guess I assumed everyone would know that it wasn't loaded if they saw that the break was open and there was no shell in either of the barrels. You would have thought I was pointing it at the people around me from the way they reacted. They were holding their hands up, telling me not to shoot them. They were making all kinds of comments about the gun and were noticeably uncomfortable in its presence. I told more than one person that it wasn't loaded and even showed it to them. I guess I should have known that would happen being that I was in Moscow, but I was kind of taken aback at just how crazy people acted about an inanimate object. I guess when you grow up around them and are comfortable with guns, it's not such a big deal and you begin to assume others won't see it as a big deal either. Oops. I just feel bad for people who choose not to educate themselves about guns but react irrationally and fearfully to them instead.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Lynch View Post
    It's really amazing to me how a tool can cause such a frenzy in some folks... A few years ago I was taking an o/u shotgun into a pawn shop in Moscow to see what they'd give me for it and was carrying it down the sidewalk a block or two because parking is horrendous in that town and I couldn't park any closer. It was unloaded (of course) with the barrel open and was pointed safely at the ground. Looking back at it now, I probably should have had it in a case or taken the barrel off but I guess I assumed everyone would know that it wasn't loaded if they saw that the break was open and there was no shell in either of the barrels. You would have thought I was pointing it at the people around me from the way they reacted. They were holding their hands up, telling me not to shoot them. They were making all kinds of comments about the gun and were noticeably uncomfortable in its presence. I told more than one person that it wasn't loaded and even showed it to them. I guess I should have known that would happen being that I was in Moscow, but I was kind of taken aback at just how crazy people acted about an inanimate object. I guess when you grow up around them and are comfortable with guns, it's not such a big deal and you begin to assume others won't see it as a big deal either. Oops. I just feel bad for people who choose not to educate themselves about guns but react irrationally and fearfully to them instead.
    First off, that is Long Gun OC, which is not to be discussed here unless the area prohibits handgun OC (which I really don't think is the case in Idaho). Just letting you know.
    Secondly, welcome to OCDO (and greetings from AZ). Please read the forum rules to avoid making a bad first impression. Afterwards, hope you continue to contribute to the forum.
    That being said, consider the fact that carrying it on your back with a sling would probably have been a better option than in-hand.


    *EDIT 10 Dec.*
    My intent and tone for this post were (quite understandably) misunderstood. Two weeks of not logging on only made this worse since I couldn't apologize. See post #21.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 12-10-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Clarifying my mistake at the bottom
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  10. #10
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by jugglzo View Post
    I'm stocking shelves and notice a guy packing a revolver, not a big deal and continue with my work. about two minutes later a panicked customer comes to me and says "that guy over there has a gun"! I reply in a very courteous way "this is Idaho and everyone has a gun, it's legal in this state to carry". the customer gave me a dirty look like I was supposed to do something about it. I went back to work immediately and figured this ***** must be just another protectionist.

    big store in Nampa

    I do know how to spell ****** the page is censoring me
    Love it! (except the part where you chose to use more colorful language)
    I had a very similar experience on my first day of OC: Home Depot, older Caucasian gentleman got all scared, African-American worker gave monosyllabic responses to his questions, 3 responses total. I've continued to patronize that particular establishment, and I refer other Freedom-loving Americans to the same. So, glad to hear you answered so matter-of-factly and courteously.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,096
    Which big store if I might ask?
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    86

    cant say

    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Which big store if I might ask?
    cant say for fear of loosing my job

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    First off, that is Long Gun OC, which is not to be discussed here unless the area prohibits handgun OC (which I really don't think is the case in Idaho). Just letting you know.
    Secondly, welcome to OCDO (and greetings from AZ). Please read the forum rules to avoid making a bad first impression. Afterwards, hope you continue to contribute to the forum.
    That being said, consider the fact that carrying it on your back with a sling would probably have been a better option than in-hand.
    My apologies! I admittedly did not read the rules because I came here directly from the Idaho Open Carry site. I was only trying to relate to the reactions that people have about seeing a gun in plain sight. Thanks for letting me know about the Long Gun OC rule.

  14. #14
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Lynch View Post
    My apologies! I admittedly did not read the rules because I came here directly from the Idaho Open Carry site. I was only trying to relate to the reactions that people have about seeing a gun in plain sight. Thanks for letting me know about the Long Gun OC rule.
    Gibbs' Rule #6. You were not talking about LGOC cuz you were not OCing a LG.

    Welcome to OCDO.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    3

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Gibbs' Rule #6. You were not talking about LGOC cuz you were not OCing a LG.

    Welcome to OCDO.
    Right, which is why I thought it might be ok to share that story even though it was an over/under instead of a handgun, but no matter. I will absolutely go and check out the rules thread so no more mistakes are made.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Lynch View Post
    Right, which is why I thought it might be ok to share that story even though it was an over/under instead of a handgun, but no matter. I will absolutely go and check out the rules thread so no more mistakes are made.
    Oh my FREAKIN GOSH! She mentioned a LOOOOOOONG GUUUN. Call the Long Gun Nazi's out. Shut down the forums. Quarantine the message boards.

    OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!

    >sniffle<

    ____________________
    Life is Precious.

    CarryTheTruth

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    First off, that is Long Gun OC, which is not to be discussed here unless the area prohibits handgun OC (which I really don't think is the case in Idaho). Just letting you know.
    Secondly, welcome to OCDO (and greetings from AZ). Please read the forum rules to avoid making a bad first impression. Afterwards, hope you continue to contribute to the forum.
    That being said, consider the fact that carrying it on your back with a sling would probably have been a better option than in-hand.
    FIRST OFF: Say "Welcome".

    SECOND OFF: Quit being so danged Nazi-like with "Long Gun OC ... is not to be discussed here".

    Something more like: Hey, Nicole, it looks like you're new to OC.org and may not be aware of some of the forum rules, as I'm not certain you are aware that we only discuss handgun OC on forums unless that area prohibits it (but allows long gun OC). Thanks for taking some time to become familiar with OC.org's Forum Rules. Again, Welcome And, we look forward to future contributions from you.

    THRID OFF: OK, the website is OpenCarry.org; not "OnlyOpenCarryHandgunsCanBeDiscussedUnlessProhibit edInThatArea.org".
    In short, your "first impression" in slamming down on Nicole is the bad impression.

    Nicole,
    IdahoCarry.org has forums where you can post *anything* reasonable regarding *any* kind of carry, in or outside of Idaho.

    That, and you are already a member of the Idaho Carry FB page; so, you're good to go there.

    Oh, and I write and champion firearm laws throughout all of Idaho. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask if ya want non-legal commentary or opinion on such (cuz I'm not a lawyer...).

    EDIT: Just read some of yer other posts & blogs online; don't mean to qualify you can't hold yer own; you obviously can.
    ______________________
    Life is Precious.

    CarryTheTruth
    Last edited by CarryTheTruth; 12-08-2013 at 12:22 AM.

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    No one slammed the OP - people were discussing the rules and no his mention of a long gun does not in and of itself constitute a violation, particulary in that he was carrying a handgun.

    What the Forum Rule say is straight forward and easily understood:


    • (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions which ban handgun carry but not long gun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    whew, glad to see you are still with us grapeshot was worried you might have been replaced by the ADMINs cuz the way the AZ poster came in ranting and raving thinking they was in charge out here in the ethernet...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    whew, glad to see you are still with us grapeshot was worried you might have been replaced by the ADMINs cuz the way the AZ poster came in ranting and raving thinking they was in charge out here in the ethernet...

    ipse
    Still here and am now receiving OCDO fringe benefits (thanks John): free parking at any public library if there on "company business", no charge use of interstate highway rest stops, and can now log-on to OCDO at any hour of the day AND am allowed to eat while "working."

    Psst - please don't tell John I do that last one, he might not approve
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    I apologize if I came off as confrontational; guess I should have used a few emoticons so people wouldn't read it in a foaming-at-the-mouth tone. Maybe my not wanting her to be wrongfully arrested or shot by police was the reason I posted the last sentence?

    At any rate, Nicole Lynch seemed to understand my intent and tone (after all, she didn't attack me for my response to her post). Hope everyone here understands my intent, sees that I accept my post lacked some finesse (with the sentence structure out of order as well), and we can all let this go (again, my apologies to Nicole Lynch especially).

    I haven't had the time to log on til today, and I come to find this happened from one of my posts. On the plus side, good to see people sticking up for new members (still remember that).
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 12-10-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I apologize if I came off as confrontational; guess I should have used a few emoticons so people wouldn't read it in a foaming-at-the-mouth tone. Maybe my not wanting her to be wrongfully arrested or shot by police was the reason I posted the last sentence?

    At any rate, Nicole Lynch seemed to understand my intent and tone (after all, she didn't attack me for my response to her post). Hope everyone here understands my intent, sees that I accept my post lacked some finesse (with the sentence structure out of order as well), and we can all let this go (again, my apologies to Nicole Lynch especially).

    I haven't had the time to log on til today, and I come to find this happened from one of my posts. On the plus side, good to see people sticking up for new members (still remember that).
    We may ruffle each others feathers occassionally, but for the most part we are friends on the same team......we are brothers & sisters in the same family
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Still here and am now receiving OCDO fringe benefits (thanks John): free parking at any public library if there on "company business", no charge use of interstate highway rest stops, and can now log-on to OCDO at any hour of the day AND am allowed to eat while "working."
    We're all equal, but some of us are clearly more equal than others!! <harumph>

  24. #24
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Still here and am now receiving OCDO fringe benefits (thanks John): free parking at any public library if there on "company business", no charge use of interstate highway rest stops, and can now log-on to OCDO at any hour of the day AND am allowed to eat while "working."

    Psst - please don't tell John I do that last one, he might not approve
    wait, hold on... wait, still cant type as i am laughing way too hard to type...whew, thats better, ah wiping the tears from my eyes...YOU'V COME A LONG WAY BABY (ruff quote from telly s)... congratulations on the promotion w/frige benefits...

    is john at least going to buy your holiday dinner today?

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 12-10-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  25. #25
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    what grapeshot said: ...we are brothers & sisters in the same family!

    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    We're all equal, but some of us are clearly more equal than others!! <harumph>
    much to the consternation of one of the buckeye posters we all bring a common passion to the forum as such I will thrust a mug of eggnog in the air as a salute to that concept!!

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •