• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More PDR of Maryland stupidity

eye95

Originally outraged, now I am not so sure.

While the article says early on that the shooter did not know the dead man, it turns out, as finally mentioned later in the article, that the wife did!

Also, the use of the term "home invasion" is disingenuous. It is designed to evoke the typical image of a home invasion: armed intruder(s) who come with intent to do bodily harm and/or to rob.

This could well be a domestic disturbance gone bad. Since there are questions in my mind, and since the only article posted clearly is biased in favor of the shooter, I'll withhold judgment pending facts from an impartial source or a biased account from the other direction to compare/contrast with the biased account we now have.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
IIRC Maryland has a "duty to retreat" that takes you all the way to your back against the wall. If my addled memory is not wrong, then the shooter jumped the gun, so to speak.

I'm not saying I endorse such a law. I'm saying that if you make up your mind that if one day you find yourself in a situation where you intend to shoot, you are better off knowing the local laws about when, where, and how much you can.

Also, if I'm not wrong about the law, it shows why it needs to be changed. SYG has never meant blowing somebody away preemptively, in spite of what the hoplophobes think.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why should you be required to provide evidence that could be used against you in court? And that would include a 911 call.

I would just dump the body outside with a note ... "special trash pickup" or something ...
Compounding a possible crime with another crime makes no sense at all.

Primus

So I'm assuming the guy wasn't armed? Does Maryland have a castle doctrine? From what I'm reading the guy shot him based on "flicking of his shirt near his waist band". Seems like a stretch to be a good shoot. Even the biased report posted says the guy "busted the door in" (how do you do that one kick? anyone tried to boot a door in? Takes alot) and then the guy shot him as he walked in. No gun, nothing. Need more info, but dead men don't speak so I guess he got that half right.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So I'm assuming the guy wasn't armed? Does Maryland have a castle doctrine? From what I'm reading the guy shot him based on "flicking of his shirt near his waist band". Seems like a stretch to be a good shoot. Even the biased report posted says the guy "busted the door in" (how do you do that one kick? anyone tried to boot a door in? Takes alot) and then the guy shot him as he walked in. No gun, nothing. Need more info, but dead men don't speak so I guess he got that half right.

Broken door, guy shot in the house? That's enough for me. What, you have a metal detector on your entryway? Anyone who breaks into a house is not there to give you a Publishers' Clearinghouse check. 9th Amendment ...

eye95

What is "good enough" for some posters around here may not be "good enough" for the LAW.

The advice from this poster is, at best, useless and, at worst, dangerous legally. Pay attention to this troll at your legal peril. Know the law in your State. This troll does not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Silvertongue

From what I have read on this article and of Maryland law, it appears Skid is both correct and incorrect; the man would have had a Duty to Retreat outside the home, but Castle Doctrine applies in the house.

Copied and pasted from Wikipedia:
"[A] man faced with the danger of an attack upon his dwelling need not retreat from his home to escape the danger, but instead may stand his ground and, if necessary to repel the attack, may kill the attacker." Crawford v. State, 231 Md. 354, 361, 190 A.2d 538, 541 (1963).

Slightly off-topic, I noticed issues with the article. The author called Duty to Retreat a common law principle and even went so far as to call the Castle Doctrine "somewhat hackneyed."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
From what I have read on this article and of Maryland law, it appears Skid is both correct and incorrect; the man would have had a Duty to Retreat outside the home, but Castle Doctrine applies in the house.

Copied and pasted from Wikipedia:
"[A] man faced with the danger of an attack upon his dwelling need not retreat from his home to escape the danger, but instead may stand his ground and, if necessary to repel the attack, may kill the attacker." Crawford v. State, 231 Md. 354, 361, 190 A.2d 538, 541 (1963).

Slightly off-topic, I noticed issues with the article. The author called Duty to Retreat a common law principle and even went so far as to call the Castle Doctrine "somewhat hackneyed."

Thanks for the clarification.

stay safe.