• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

N.C (PPP) Confusion

Mike

Site Co-Founder
So, at 18 years of age you may legally open carry a firearm. But in order to buy that firearm you must get a Pistol Purchase Permit in order to buy privately since an 18 year old cannot go through an FFL.

The police in my counties(own multiple properties) are very confused and tend to be very ignorant towards me. And now I'm scared to O.C without being harassed again.

---
What NC statute are you walking around with that implies an 18 year old may open carry a handguns? Please provide a link.

NC does not forbid open carry or possession of handguns by those 18 years of age. Their will be no statute stating that this is legal - you are looking for a NC statute which states an age at which one cannot open carry or possess a handgun.

Federal law at 18 USC 922(X) bans possession of handguns generally by those under 18.
----

Update - you cite the statute above - keep part is that minor is somebody under 18. Highlight it in yellow!

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

---
What NC statute are you walking around with that implies an 18 year old may open carry a handguns? Please provide a link.

NC does not forbid open carry or possession of handguns by those 18 years of age. Their will be no statute stating that this is legal - you are looking for a NC statute which states an age at which one cannot open carry or possess a handgun.

Federal law at 18 USC 922(X) bans possession of handguns generally by those under 18.
----

Update - you cite the statute above - keep part is that minor is somebody under 18. Highlight it in yellow!

There are no statutes that implies a 18 year old may open carry a handgun, there are also no statutes that prohibit such carry.

carolina guy

---

----

Mike,

There is also no NC Statute that says that a 50 year old can OC a pistol. Perhaps it would be more "precise" to say that there is no statute that PROHIBITS the OC of a pistol at 18, or 21, or 50...

Last edited:

carolina guy

Actually, the original poster's cite does imply this by making possession under 18 lawful - that's exactly what he should cite if harassed by police.

I think he did cite the law (red highlight is mine):

From OPers post:

§ 14-269.7. Prohibitions on handguns for minors.

(a) Any minor who willfully and intentionally possesses or carries a handgun is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section does not apply:

(1) To officers and enlisted personnel of the Armed Forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties or acting under orders requiring them to carry handguns.

(2) To a minor who possesses a handgun for educational or recreational purposes while the minor is supervised by an adult who is present.

(3) To an emancipated minor who possesses such handgun inside his or her residence.

(4) To a minor who possesses a handgun while hunting or trapping outside the limits of an incorporated municipality if he has on his person written permission from a parent, guardian, or other person standing in loco parentis.

(c) The following definitions apply in this section:

(1) Handgun. - A firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.

(2) Minor. - Any person under 18 years of age. (1993, c. 259, s. 1; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 14, s. 5; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 597, s. 1; 2011-183, s. 9; 2011-268, s. 6.)

So...if minors are prohibited from "carrying" and one has to be 21 to CC, that only leaves OC for a person from 18 to 21.