• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A fully 3D Printed Metal 1911 Pistol

zack991

It was bound to eventually happen, but I did not think it would be so soon. The company Solid Concepts has printed an entire 1911 pistol with a 3D laser metal sintering printer. What is more, the company has an FFL Manufacturing license and can print guns on behalf of customers with a five day turnaround. You provide them with a suitable CAD model and they will print it for you. This video shows their all-printed 1911 being fired. What is even more amazing is that they printed the barrel, including the rifling grooves. There was no machining whatsoever involved in the manufacturing of this gun.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/11/07/fully-3d-printed-metal-1911-pistol/

SWEET and great news

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Did not look as smooth as a regular 1911 .. slide issues ...

You can mill one too ...

5 day turn around ... unless the HP printer runs out of ink lol

This is all really a fad IMO ... at least for the next 10 yrs.

jeffrey-r

This is all really a fad IMO ... at least for the next 10 yrs.

You sound like a guy that would poo-poo the Internet back in 1999. "It'd just a fad. Pfft."

3d printing is about the furthest thing from a fad. I'd go so far as to say it's the next big technological advance in manufacturing, and it won't take 10 years to realize. Just a couple years ago "3d printing" was all but unheard of, especially at the consumer level.

I don't understand the negativity.

Someone manufactures a functioning 1911 from scratch from a 3d printer, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, and your response is "Meh, it looks a bit rough..."

OC for ME

No recoil spring. All Uncle Sam has to do is to slap a $1000 tax on springs, or outlaw springs except when purchased through a FFL. The Bound Book will be full of CBCs for the purchase of springs.....serial number checks to see if your spring was involved in a crime.

Brace

Springs have enough functions that they could be sold fairly in the open under a different guise, much like pipe diameter converters are. Of course a gun could already be made with a CNC machine and etc. I really like the 4 winds shotgun for its simplicity. In principle once these advance a bit they should enable large-scale production by individuals, which is what their real benefit is. 3D printing a rifle would be a lot more important though in that context.

77zach

No recoil spring. All Uncle Sam has to do is to slap a $1000 tax on springs, or outlaw springs except when purchased through a FFL. The Bound Book will be full of CBCs for the purchase of springs.....serial number checks to see if your spring was involved in a crime.

Good luck with that! Springs make the world go round. I think within a decade we'll be able to easily print our own guns.

davidmcbeth

Banned

"I need my springs...Bit**h !" said Mr. Hooks

stealthyeliminator

SWEET and great news

"It was bound to eventually happen, but I did not think it would be so soon."

My thoughts exactly. I read the title and though, wow, that was fast...

So it's a little rough. Could you not just finish it by hand to smooth out the edges?

1245A Defender

Sooo,,,,

They dont print Springs,,, no problem,, actually, they are easy to wind them your self!
They do print,,, pins...
Do they print,,, screws??? no problem, they are cheap at the store...
Can they print,,, screw threads in the holes??? that would really be some thing!

What they do is Incredible,,, but their must be much hand work
and parts going into making it ready to really fire!!

zack991

So it's a little rough. Could you not just finish it by hand to smooth out the edges?

Yea, I would say you would do the finish work like any other 1911. Also take the power from governments attempt to control free men. I hope this gets cheaper so everyone can do it.

Primus

How do they print rifling? Or is it milled later? My assumption is they just "print" the flat pieces and still use traditional means to lathe, mill, thread, etc. the reast of the pieces.

JustaShooter

How do they print rifling? Or is it milled later? My assumption is they just "print" the flat pieces and still use traditional means to lathe, mill, thread, etc. the reast of the pieces.

From the article:
What is even more amazing is that they printed the barrel, including the rifling grooves. There was no machining whatsoever involved in the manufacturing of this gun.

It's hard (for me anyway) to explain how they do it, but it is possible. The video in the article shows a bit of the process, but you really need to do a fair bit of reading / research to get a good understanding of how it works.

09jisaac

It's hard (for me anyway) to explain how they do it, but it is possible. The video in the article shows a bit of the process, but you really need to do a fair bit of reading / research to get a good understanding of how it works.

What is so hard to explain? It is similar to a 2D printer. The only difference is that there is now a Y coordinate.

Primus

What is so hard to explain? It is similar to a 2D printer. The only difference is that there is now a Y coordinate.

Except if you have a 5 inch barrel how do you "print" a rifling perfect from top to bottom? Disregard, I'll look it up.

Rusty Young Man

Smooth out the edges? You mean like, go shooting a lot, file down rough fabrication marks, and perform maintenance on the gun?
Never heard of it:rolleyes: (coming from a guy who carries a 1911....).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
From the article:

I would guess that for the barrel, just print "looking down the barrel". Start scanning at the breech and work your way "up" the bore. If the laser beam focus is tiny enough, I imagine you could get passable rifling grooves.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's how I was picturing the barrel being printed, also. Seems like it would be easier to print polygonal rifling, though, doesn't it?

Rusty Young Man

While a certain poundage (no bad thoughts!:)) of resistance is needed from the springs, you would be surprised how ingenuous the lowly "civilian*" can be:

http://www.fraternalorderoflawenforcement.com/content/Unusual Weapons 2.pdf

*(that is what we are called in the PDF)

Rusty Young Man

That's how I was picturing the barrel being printed, also. Seems like it would be easier to print polygonal rifling, though, doesn't it?

Even if it were limited to smoothbore, wouldn't the firearm still go bang? I'm looking at this 1911-printing like the printing of the all-plastic 3-D printed "Liberator": while the firearm itself wasn't made for repeated firing and prolonged abuse, the gun still went bang, and I wouldn't want to be shot by one either.