• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ordinance to Prohibit Firearms on Township Property (Falls Twp, Bucks PA)

sgmwatkins

My Township (Falls) in Bucks County, PA have decided to propose a new ordinance to prohibit firearms on township owned-property. The made a motion at the Nov. 6th meeting and are going to discuss the next meeting and vote on it. I am not one of those crazy constitutionalists who open carry in hopes of attracting the attention of law enforcement & the public and then post the encounter on youtube, but I am quite upset about this.

I have been CC for a very longtime and I am glad that I live in PA because its pro-gun attitude and never have I OC before.
When is the luancy going to stop? I would really like to organize a group to attend the meeting and OC. I am going to address the board of supervisors and oppose their proposal during public comment.

Is there any one interested in going? The meeting is Tuesday, Nov 19th at the Falls Township Municipal building.

Thanks for listening.

SGM

aadvark

Falls Township Ban Illegal

sgmwatkins:

Notwithstanding The Good Intentions that I am sure that Township Supervisors otherwsie have, This Proposal is ILLEGAL.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does NOT Allow Local Governmental Units to Regulate Firearms, and This Includes Public Property and Public Buildings.

Specifically 18 Pa.C.S. 6120 Preempts and Precludes Falls Township from taking any such Action Governing Firearms.

You can find 18 Pa.C.S. here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...pe=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=61&sctn=20&subsctn=0

aadvark

P.S.: You can Open Carry ANY Firearm You Legally Own without any need for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms while going about Your Business on Foot as a Pedestrian. The Only Things You can not do while Openly Carrying without a Permit are: Open Carry in Schools, Open Carry in Courthouses, Open Carry in an Area Effected by a State of Emergency Declaration which is Currently Active, or Open Carry on Public Property in Philadelphia.

sgmwatkins

Right On!!!

Thanks!! I understand their intentions, but there are far off and uneducated. I will educate thanks to what you sent me many thanks!!!!!

sgmwatkins:

Notwithstanding The Good Intentions that I am sure that Township Supervisors otherwsie have, This Proposal is ILLEGAL.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does NOT Allow Local Governmental Units to Regulate Firearms, and This Includes Public Property and Public Buildings.

Specifically 18 Pa.C.S. 6120 Preempts and Precludes Falls Township from taking any such Action Governing Firearms.

You can find 18 Pa.C.S. here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...pe=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=61&sctn=20&subsctn=0

aadvark

P.S.: You can Open Carry ANY Firearm You Legally Own without any need for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms while going about Your Business on Foot as a Pedestrian. The Only Things You can not do while Openly Carrying without a Permit are: Open Carry in Schools, Open Carry in Courthouses, Open Carry in an Area Effected by a State of Emergency Declaration which is Currently Active, or Open Carry on Public Property in Philadelphia.

HPmatt

Thanks!! I understand their intentions, but there are far off and uneducated. I will educate thanks to what you sent me many thanks!!!!!

I would think you would contact the Tnwp attorney about compliance w state law and its pre-emption. Perhaps you could also contact the PA AttyGenl and find out who on the staff handles 2A issues and go over it with them. Probably a phone call between the two would remove it from the Agenda.

Another course might be to gather the facts and legal background and speak at the Twp meeting and inform the honorables that their suggestions are illegal. An opportunity to educate the ignorant.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I would think you would contact the Tnwp attorney about compliance w state law and its pre-emption. Perhaps you could also contact the PA AttyGenl and find out who on the staff handles 2A issues and go over it with them. Probably a phone call between the two would remove it from the Agenda.

Another course might be to gather the facts and legal background and speak at the Twp meeting and inform the honorables that their suggestions are illegal. An opportunity to educate the ignorant.

Speaking at the meeting - open caring or not - good idea.

But most meetings in life are just to memorialize what has been decided ahead of time - so contact your Township Supervisors and the press - get the press educated and get that preemption statute mentioned in their article.

david.ross

Let me just say, I've emailed the same lawyer with an acknowledgement back from August 2013.

They know state pre-emption exists and are absolutely without a doubt willfully going to break the law. Currently there's an ordinance against firearms at the Falls Twp park.

They're going to end up being sued and money on their side wasted. I'll be going to the hearing when one of the PA bills to have the municipalities foot the bill should they break state law.