Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pet peeves

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

pet peeves

I thought there was a pet peeves thread already, but I can't find it...

Normally I'd just vent about stupid little things on Facebook, but feelings might get hurt if I did that for certain things.

Today's pet peeve - people that want to hold hands during prayer or meal blessings. Call me a germaphobe, but ****, I just washed my hands!!!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post

Normally I'd just vent about stupid little things on Facebook, but feelings might get hurt if I did that for certain things.

Today's pet peeve - people that want to hold hands during prayer or meal blessings. Call me a germaphobe, but ****, I just washed my hands!!!
    Just politely ask which direction is east, and mention that Allah prefers no hand holding during prayer.

Seriously, though. There's got to be a polite way out of that. Maybe pray with your hands in your lap? Or, just politely express that you're not Christian? Or, whatever.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Just politely ask which direction is east, and mention that Allah prefers no hand holding during prayer.

Seriously, though. There's got to be a polite way out of that. Maybe pray with your hands in your lap? Or, just politely express that you're not Christian? Or, whatever.
    The offender is my mother in law, and it would not go over well if I falsely announced that I was not a Christian, lol. My inlaws would certainly not see any humor. I would love to see their reaction to the Allah comment though. I've managed to escape it if whoever is saying the prayer starts at just the right time so that I can quickly bow my head and close my eyes so that it seems I didn't see her hold out her hand B)
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 11-08-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Personal-sized bottles of hand sanitizer, openly used both before and afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

I simply do not participate in group prayer/supplication. I will not stand, I will not bow my head, I will not (if outdoors) uncover my head, and I darned well will not kneel. I wuill keep quiet (within certain limits).

If you want to hold my hand you had better be offering me at least a free meal. Actually, that is not true, as I will not do so when dining at the home of folks who do that communal supplication around the table. They know my feelings and either reach across me to the next willing participant or, more usually, just stop on either side of me.

I gave up trying to be polite - that is, not causing someone's feelings to be hurt. I do try to refrain from yelling "Oh, heck [not actual word used] no!" when someone at a public (not open-to-the public religious group sponsored) event says "Let us pray." Do that in the name of your diety in a setting outside your religious denomination building/sponsored event and I will pointedly walk out on you until the forced religious service is over.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Skid, what you've described is exactly how I feel about the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem.

Ok so here's another one... Forced socialization. Like if someone is on a phone call or, worse, a video call and then they are like, here, do you want to talk to stealthy? As they hand you the phone or point the video call device at your face. No, they don't hand you the device so that you can simply exchange pleasantries and hand it back, they hold it there. They hold it there in your face until the awkward silence is so unbearable that even they can't take it anymore. If I had something to say to the person, I'd have picked up the phone and called them! People do the same thing with babies. People have literally come up with a baby in their arms and stuck the baby in my face, saying some **** like, oh, is that your uncle? Who's that? Get the baby outta my face?!?!??! Am I a terrible person?
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 11-08-2013 at 11:05 PM.

I really strongly dislike having to take my hat off, even in contexts like the pledge of allegiance. It has very little to do with the pledge itself, but my positive feelings about my hat are definitely stronger than my positive feelings about the pledge because they have more personal relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brace View Post
    I really strongly dislike having to take my hat off, even in contexts like the pledge of allegiance. It has very little to do with the pledge itself, but my positive feelings about my hat are definitely stronger than my positive feelings about the pledge because they have more personal relevance.
    Hmm I think I can understand this one. I used to wear a hat basically at all times, every day

Banned
    I have a lot of "pet peeves" ... however, I don't get that upset ...

I just drink a little bit more lunch than I normally do ...

One can have lunch anytime, so I have discovered...yummy yummy lunch
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-09-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Founder's Club Member
    Skid, what you've described is exactly how I feel about the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem.

Ok so here's another one... Forced socialization. Like if someone is on a phone call or, worse, a video call and then they are like, here, do you want to talk to stealthy? As they hand you the phone or point the video call device at your face. No, they don't hand you the device so that you can simply exchange pleasantries and hand it back, they hold it there. They hold it there in your face until the awkward silence is so unbearable that even they can't take it anymore. If I had something to say to the person, I'd have picked up the phone and called them! People do the same thing with babies. People have literally come up with a baby in their arms and stuck the baby in my face, saying some **** like, oh, is that your uncle? Who's that? Get the baby outta my face?!?!??! Am I a terrible person?
    Oh, that one is easy to solve.

After the ambush, you call, oh, say, The Watchtower, and tell them you have someone who wants to learn more, then hand the phone to the offender. Calling one of those infommercial 800-numbers works just as well.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

"Fored socialization" can only take place if you allow it. Turn away. Say "No!" Look at the camera and tell the person on the other end the person who just pointed it at you is an asshat and you are sorry the asshat imposed on them. Smack the thing out of their hand while yelling "Do not try to capture my soul, you devil!"

Word gets around pretty fast that there are things up with which you will not put. The biggest danger when doing these sorts of actions in public is receiving applause from innocent by-watchers.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Pet peeves

I am peeved at those that confuse honor with personal convenience. To me, honor inheres in the personal inconvenience that I endure. Where is the honor in begging-off American Legion funeral duty just because it is uncomfortable or inconvenient. Where is the honor in remaining covered - hatted - in a lady's presence, or in Karley's Bar. I remember well Snake Hill, the MarBar at PNSY, "He who enters covered here will buy the bar a round of cheer."

I am peeved at the unending multiplication of thread/topics spammed through all subforums, as though some sort of kudos-reputation is engendered.

About personal hygiene; I am very pleased with Hibiclens chlorhexidine gluconate products. I use it daily on my hands and semi-weekly (that means more than weekly) as a body wash. (I ride a low-rider trike, the seat is ~4 inches off the ground, through all sorts of unseen road trash.)

I am amused by those concerned about personal contact. Study up on community acquired immunities and the effects of hyperhygiene. In Church we share a Christian greeting and Communion cup, and handsanitizer that some use before contact and some after. How commonsensical! The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-09-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

"there" doesn't equal "their"
    "there" doesn't equal "they're"

it's = it is
    its = possessive form of "it"

MOOT point, not "mute" point

"I should have" not "I should of"

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post

it's = it is

"Grammar NAZI's" +1

Pet peeve; citing John Robinson's Free Republic

Citing John Robinson's Free Republic as though it is is somehow more credible than OCDO or the Wikipedia or a sea-story. (Nightmare, "Since Mar 26, 1998")

Banned
    Pet peeves? This thread and most of the posts in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Well,,,

SPELL CHECKER!!!!

All to happy to tell me my word is NOT a WORD,,, regardless of its usage..
    BUT,, its spelling recommendations mean little if I dont know
    What the recommended word means..

I wanted to spell concor (beating an enemy in a battle),,,,
    Still dont know how,,, didnt get any recommended spelling answers...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Banned

pet peeves

Conquer.

Sometimes thinking of a similar word with the same root helps. Think "conquest" when trying to spell "conquer." The spelling of "conquest" is more obvious from its pronunciation.

<O>
    Last edited by eye95; 11-09-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Where is the honor in remaining covered - hatted - in a lady's presence, or in Karley's Bar
    So women aren't allowed to wear hats? You horrible sexist.

Pet peeve

People who mistake cap and, worse, ballcap for hat. There is a reason that there are two different words.

Pet peeve; people that indulge in a bland and imprecise language.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Pet peeves? This thread and most of the posts in it.

<o>
    I am sorry to hear that...

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people stop short at a red light, and repeatedly inch forward the entire time they're waiting.
    Advocate freedom please

My biggest pet peeve is people who can't drive.

I do my best to make sure every load I am hauling is secured, but mistakes do happen. I am driving slow for a reason, tail gating me won't make me speed up. Now I have to slow down.

Or

People jumping straight into to furthest lane. People sometimes miss things. You don't want to not see the car you are pulling out in front of AND blocking all paths for them to avoid a collision. Gain speed in the first lane you reach, then go the the lane you want to be in.

Or

If you are in a hurry for the light to change, stop on the sensor. Pulling a whole car length into the intersection will not help. You have actually legally ran the stop light. If someone collides into your vehicle, it is legally YOUR fault.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

I like my space bubble around me...don't jump in there without consent or permission.

Exclamation Peeves

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post

it's = it is

Add 'aloud' for allowed and the 'loose/lose' mix-up.

Smile peeves

I am sorry to hear that...

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people stop short at a red light, and repeatedly inch forward the entire time they're waiting.
    Generally they look like they cannot wait for the light to change...and then are caught looking the wrong way when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "Grammar NAZI's" +1
    Hah!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast