Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 153

Thread: pet peeves

  1. #1
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,100

    pet peeves

    I thought there was a pet peeves thread already, but I can't find it...

    Normally I'd just vent about stupid little things on Facebook, but feelings might get hurt if I did that for certain things.

    Today's pet peeve - people that want to hold hands during prayer or meal blessings. Call me a germaphobe, but ****, I just washed my hands!!!

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,280
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I thought there was a pet peeves thread already, but I can't find it...

    Normally I'd just vent about stupid little things on Facebook, but feelings might get hurt if I did that for certain things.

    Today's pet peeve - people that want to hold hands during prayer or meal blessings. Call me a germaphobe, but ****, I just washed my hands!!!
    Just politely ask which direction is east, and mention that Allah prefers no hand holding during prayer.


    Seriously, though. There's got to be a polite way out of that. Maybe pray with your hands in your lap? Or, just politely express that you're not Christian? Or, whatever.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  3. #3
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Just politely ask which direction is east, and mention that Allah prefers no hand holding during prayer.


    Seriously, though. There's got to be a polite way out of that. Maybe pray with your hands in your lap? Or, just politely express that you're not Christian? Or, whatever.
    The offender is my mother in law, and it would not go over well if I falsely announced that I was not a Christian, lol. My inlaws would certainly not see any humor. I would love to see their reaction to the Allah comment though. I've managed to escape it if whoever is saying the prayer starts at just the right time so that I can quickly bow my head and close my eyes so that it seems I didn't see her hold out her hand B)
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 11-08-2013 at 09:53 PM.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,450
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I thought there was a pet peeves thread already, but I can't find it...

    Normally I'd just vent about stupid little things on Facebook, but feelings might get hurt if I did that for certain things.

    Today's pet peeve - people that want to hold hands during prayer or meal blessings. Call me a germaphobe, but ****, I just washed my hands!!!
    Personal-sized bottles of hand sanitizer, openly used both before and afterwards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Just politely ask which direction is east, and mention that Allah prefers no hand holding during prayer.

    Seriously, though. There's got to be a polite way out of that. Maybe pray with your hands in your lap? Or, just politely express that you're not Christian? Or, whatever.
    I simply do not participate in group prayer/supplication. I will not stand, I will not bow my head, I will not (if outdoors) uncover my head, and I darned well will not kneel. I wuill keep quiet (within certain limits).

    If you want to hold my hand you had better be offering me at least a free meal. Actually, that is not true, as I will not do so when dining at the home of folks who do that communal supplication around the table. They know my feelings and either reach across me to the next willing participant or, more usually, just stop on either side of me.

    I gave up trying to be polite - that is, not causing someone's feelings to be hurt. I do try to refrain from yelling "Oh, heck [not actual word used] no!" when someone at a public (not open-to-the public religious group sponsored) event says "Let us pray." Do that in the name of your diety in a setting outside your religious denomination building/sponsored event and I will pointedly walk out on you until the forced religious service is over.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,100
    Skid, what you've described is exactly how I feel about the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem.


    Ok so here's another one... Forced socialization. Like if someone is on a phone call or, worse, a video call and then they are like, here, do you want to talk to stealthy? As they hand you the phone or point the video call device at your face. No, they don't hand you the device so that you can simply exchange pleasantries and hand it back, they hold it there. They hold it there in your face until the awkward silence is so unbearable that even they can't take it anymore. If I had something to say to the person, I'd have picked up the phone and called them! People do the same thing with babies. People have literally come up with a baby in their arms and stuck the baby in my face, saying some **** like, oh, is that your uncle? Who's that? Get the baby outta my face?!?!??! Am I a terrible person?
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 11-08-2013 at 10:05 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Brace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    183
    I really strongly dislike having to take my hat off, even in contexts like the pledge of allegiance. It has very little to do with the pledge itself, but my positive feelings about my hat are definitely stronger than my positive feelings about the pledge because they have more personal relevance.

  7. #7
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Brace View Post
    I really strongly dislike having to take my hat off, even in contexts like the pledge of allegiance. It has very little to do with the pledge itself, but my positive feelings about my hat are definitely stronger than my positive feelings about the pledge because they have more personal relevance.
    Hmm I think I can understand this one. I used to wear a hat basically at all times, every day

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    16,172
    I have a lot of "pet peeves" ... however, I don't get that upset ...

    I just drink a little bit more lunch than I normally do ...

    One can have lunch anytime, so I have discovered...yummy yummy lunch
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-08-2013 at 11:40 PM.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,280
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Skid, what you've described is exactly how I feel about the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem.


    Ok so here's another one... Forced socialization. Like if someone is on a phone call or, worse, a video call and then they are like, here, do you want to talk to stealthy? As they hand you the phone or point the video call device at your face. No, they don't hand you the device so that you can simply exchange pleasantries and hand it back, they hold it there. They hold it there in your face until the awkward silence is so unbearable that even they can't take it anymore. If I had something to say to the person, I'd have picked up the phone and called them! People do the same thing with babies. People have literally come up with a baby in their arms and stuck the baby in my face, saying some **** like, oh, is that your uncle? Who's that? Get the baby outta my face?!?!??! Am I a terrible person?
    Oh, that one is easy to solve.

    After the ambush, you call, oh, say, The Watchtower, and tell them you have someone who wants to learn more, then hand the phone to the offender. Calling one of those infommercial 800-numbers works just as well.

    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,450
    "Fored socialization" can only take place if you allow it. Turn away. Say "No!" Look at the camera and tell the person on the other end the person who just pointed it at you is an asshat and you are sorry the asshat imposed on them. Smack the thing out of their hand while yelling "Do not try to capture my soul, you devil!"

    Word gets around pretty fast that there are things up with which you will not put. The biggest danger when doing these sorts of actions in public is receiving applause from innocent by-watchers.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,922
    "there" doesn't equal "their"
    "there" doesn't equal "they're"

    it's = it is
    its = possessive form of "it"

    MOOT point, not "mute" point

    "I should have" not "I should of"


    That's all I can think of at the moment.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    12,802
    Pet peeves? This thread and most of the posts in it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  13. #13
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,349

    Well,,,

    SPELL CHECKER!!!!

    All to happy to tell me my word is NOT a WORD,,, regardless of its usage..
    BUT,, its spelling recommendations mean little if I dont know
    What the recommended word means..

    I wanted to spell concor (beating an enemy in a battle),,,,
    Still dont know how,,, didnt get any recommended spelling answers...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    12,802

    pet peeves

    Conquer.

    Sometimes thinking of a similar word with the same root helps. Think "conquest" when trying to spell "conquer." The spelling of "conquest" is more obvious from its pronunciation.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    <O>
    Last edited by eye95; 11-09-2013 at 08:59 AM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Brace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Where is the honor in remaining covered - hatted - in a lady's presence, or in Karley's Bar
    So women aren't allowed to wear hats? You horrible sexist.

  16. #16
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Pet peeves? This thread and most of the posts in it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>
    I am sorry to hear that...


    One of my biggest pet peeves is when people stop short at a red light, and repeatedly inch forward the entire time they're waiting.
    Advocate freedom please

  17. #17
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,693
    My biggest pet peeve is people who can't drive.

    I do my best to make sure every load I am hauling is secured, but mistakes do happen. I am driving slow for a reason, tail gating me won't make me speed up. Now I have to slow down.

    Or

    People jumping straight into to furthest lane. People sometimes miss things. You don't want to not see the car you are pulling out in front of AND blocking all paths for them to avoid a collision. Gain speed in the first lane you reach, then go the the lane you want to be in.

    Or

    If you are in a hurry for the light to change, stop on the sensor. Pulling a whole car length into the intersection will not help. You have actually legally ran the stop light. If someone collides into your vehicle, it is legally YOUR fault.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Black_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    On The Border in AZ
    Posts
    125
    I like my space bubble around me...don't jump in there without consent or permission.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Seattle,WA, , USA
    Posts
    258

    Exclamation Peeves

    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    "there" doesn't equal "their"
    "there" doesn't equal "they're"

    it's = it is
    its = possessive form of "it"

    MOOT point, not "mute" point

    "I should have" not "I should of"


    That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Add 'aloud' for allowed and the 'loose/lose' mix-up.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Seattle,WA, , USA
    Posts
    258

    Smile peeves

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I am sorry to hear that...


    One of my biggest pet peeves is when people stop short at a red light, and repeatedly inch forward the entire time they're waiting.
    Generally they look like they cannot wait for the light to change...and then are caught looking the wrong way when it does.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "Grammar NAZI's" +1
    Hah!

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,200
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    MI do my best to make sure every load I am hauling is secured, but mistakes do happen. I am driving slow for a reason, tail gating me won't make me speed up. Now I have to slow down.
    That one definitely bugs me.

    I like to drive fast as much as the next guy, but if for some reason you are wanting to go faster than me, I can promise you that tailgating me will only cause me to slow down. I've been rear-ended before, so I've learned about the need to drive for the guy behind me, too, and if you're six inches away that means you need to go that much slower.

  23. #23
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    11,101
    Has God ever permitted anyone to catch something after holding hands for a prayer to him? I don't know, but everyone I know has not caught anything.

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,280
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Has God ever permitted anyone to catch something after holding hands for a prayer to him? I don't know, but everyone I know has not caught anything.
    You know, there might be something deeper going on here. It occurs to me that holding hands prevents opportunists from snagging the choicest stuff while other heads are bowed. Maybe the hand-holding was developed because one or more members of the family wasn't entirely trusted by the others.

    And, of course, there's that whole angle of those who are most distrustful are that way because they know what they would do...

    I think a little backround checking on the in-laws might be in order.

    Last edited by Citizen; 11-09-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  25. #25
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    11,101
    God helps those.....who help themselves.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •