• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pet peeves

stealthyeliminator

I thought there was a pet peeves thread already, but I can't find it...

Normally I'd just vent about stupid little things on Facebook, but feelings might get hurt if I did that for certain things.

Today's pet peeve - people that want to hold hands during prayer or meal blessings. Call me a germaphobe, but ****, I just washed my hands!!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Normally I'd just vent about stupid little things on Facebook, but feelings might get hurt if I did that for certain things.

Today's pet peeve - people that want to hold hands during prayer or meal blessings. Call me a germaphobe, but ****, I just washed my hands!!!

Just politely ask which direction is east, and mention that Allah prefers no hand holding during prayer. :)

Seriously, though. There's got to be a polite way out of that. Maybe pray with your hands in your lap? Or, just politely express that you're not Christian? Or, whatever.

stealthyeliminator

Just politely ask which direction is east, and mention that Allah prefers no hand holding during prayer. :)

Seriously, though. There's got to be a polite way out of that. Maybe pray with your hands in your lap? Or, just politely express that you're not Christian? Or, whatever.

The offender is my mother in law, and it would not go over well if I falsely announced that I was not a Christian, lol. My inlaws would certainly not see any humor. I would love to see their reaction to the Allah comment though. I've managed to escape it if whoever is saying the prayer starts at just the right time so that I can quickly bow my head and close my eyes so that it seems I didn't see her hold out her hand B)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Personal-sized bottles of hand sanitizer, openly used both before and afterwards.

I simply do not participate in group prayer/supplication. I will not stand, I will not bow my head, I will not (if outdoors) uncover my head, and I darned well will not kneel. I wuill keep quiet (within certain limits).

If you want to hold my hand you had better be offering me at least a free meal.:p Actually, that is not true, as I will not do so when dining at the home of folks who do that communal supplication around the table. They know my feelings and either reach across me to the next willing participant or, more usually, just stop on either side of me.

I gave up trying to be polite - that is, not causing someone's feelings to be hurt. I do try to refrain from yelling "Oh, heck [not actual word used] no!" when someone at a public (not open-to-the public religious group sponsored) event says "Let us pray." Do that in the name of your diety in a setting outside your religious denomination building/sponsored event and I will pointedly walk out on you until the forced religious service is over.

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

Skid, what you've described is exactly how I feel about the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem.

Ok so here's another one... Forced socialization. Like if someone is on a phone call or, worse, a video call and then they are like, here, do you want to talk to stealthy? As they hand you the phone or point the video call device at your face. No, they don't hand you the device so that you can simply exchange pleasantries and hand it back, they hold it there. They hold it there in your face until the awkward silence is so unbearable that even they can't take it anymore. If I had something to say to the person, I'd have picked up the phone and called them! People do the same thing with babies. People have literally come up with a baby in their arms and stuck the baby in my face, saying some **** like, oh, is that your uncle? Who's that? Get the baby outta my face?!?!??! Am I a terrible person?

Last edited:

Brace

I really strongly dislike having to take my hat off, even in contexts like the pledge of allegiance. It has very little to do with the pledge itself, but my positive feelings about my hat are definitely stronger than my positive feelings about the pledge because they have more personal relevance.

stealthyeliminator

I really strongly dislike having to take my hat off, even in contexts like the pledge of allegiance. It has very little to do with the pledge itself, but my positive feelings about my hat are definitely stronger than my positive feelings about the pledge because they have more personal relevance.

Hmm I think I can understand this one. I used to wear a hat basically at all times, every day

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have a lot of "pet peeves" ... however, I don't get that upset ...

I just drink a little bit more lunch than I normally do ...

One can have lunch anytime, so I have discovered...yummy yummy lunch

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Skid, what you've described is exactly how I feel about the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem.

Ok so here's another one... Forced socialization. Like if someone is on a phone call or, worse, a video call and then they are like, here, do you want to talk to stealthy? As they hand you the phone or point the video call device at your face. No, they don't hand you the device so that you can simply exchange pleasantries and hand it back, they hold it there. They hold it there in your face until the awkward silence is so unbearable that even they can't take it anymore. If I had something to say to the person, I'd have picked up the phone and called them! People do the same thing with babies. People have literally come up with a baby in their arms and stuck the baby in my face, saying some **** like, oh, is that your uncle? Who's that? Get the baby outta my face?!?!??! Am I a terrible person?

Oh, that one is easy to solve.

After the ambush, you call, oh, say, The Watchtower, and tell them you have someone who wants to learn more, then hand the phone to the offender. Calling one of those infommercial 800-numbers works just as well.

:D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Fored socialization" can only take place if you allow it. Turn away. Say "No!" Look at the camera and tell the person on the other end the person who just pointed it at you is an asshat and you are sorry the asshat imposed on them. Smack the thing out of their hand while yelling "Do not try to capture my soul, you devil!"

Word gets around pretty fast that there are things up with which you will not put. The biggest danger when doing these sorts of actions in public is receiving applause from innocent by-watchers.

stay safe.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
"there" doesn't equal "their"
"there" doesn't equal "they're"

it's = it is
its = possessive form of "it"

MOOT point, not "mute" point

"I should have" not "I should of"

That's all I can think of at the moment.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

SPELL CHECKER!!!!

All to happy to tell me my word is NOT a WORD,,, regardless of its usage..
BUT,, its spelling recommendations mean little if I dont know
What the recommended word means..

I wanted to spell concor (beating an enemy in a battle),,,,
Still dont know how,,, didnt get any recommended spelling answers...

eye95

Conquer.

Sometimes thinking of a similar word with the same root helps. Think "conquest" when trying to spell "conquer." The spelling of "conquest" is more obvious from its pronunciation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
<O>

Last edited:

09jisaac

My biggest pet peeve is people who can't drive.

I do my best to make sure every load I am hauling is secured, but mistakes do happen. I am driving slow for a reason, tail gating me won't make me speed up. Now I have to slow down.

Or

People jumping straight into to furthest lane. People sometimes miss things. You don't want to not see the car you are pulling out in front of AND blocking all paths for them to avoid a collision. Gain speed in the first lane you reach, then go the the lane you want to be in.

Or

If you are in a hurry for the light to change, stop on the sensor. Pulling a whole car length into the intersection will not help. You have actually legally ran the stop light. If someone collides into your vehicle, it is legally YOUR fault.

Contrarian

Peeves

"there" doesn't equal "their"
"there" doesn't equal "they're"

it's = it is
its = possessive form of "it"

MOOT point, not "mute" point

"I should have" not "I should of"

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Add 'aloud' for allowed and the 'loose/lose' mix-up.