• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pet peeves

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
MI do my best to make sure every load I am hauling is secured, but mistakes do happen. I am driving slow for a reason, tail gating me won't make me speed up. Now I have to slow down.

That one definitely bugs me.

I like to drive fast as much as the next guy, but if for some reason you are wanting to go faster than me, I can promise you that tailgating me will only cause me to slow down. I've been rear-ended before, so I've learned about the need to drive for the guy behind me, too, and if you're six inches away that means you need to go that much slower.

OC for ME

Has God ever permitted anyone to catch something after holding hands for a prayer to him? I don't know, but everyone I know has not caught anything.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Has God ever permitted anyone to catch something after holding hands for a prayer to him? I don't know, but everyone I know has not caught anything.

You know, there might be something deeper going on here. It occurs to me that holding hands prevents opportunists from snagging the choicest stuff while other heads are bowed. Maybe the hand-holding was developed because one or more members of the family wasn't entirely trusted by the others.

And, of course, there's that whole angle of those who are most distrustful are that way because they know what they would do...

I think a little backround checking on the in-laws might be in order.

:D

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Not quite on the subject of holding hands while praying before a meal, but its in the ballpark:

[video=youtube;vMEOOWsNROo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMEOOWsNROo[/video]

ETA: For those who might be unfamiliar, Jerry Clower was a hilarious comedian who specialized in rural humor. Tons of little short stories. If you liked the one posted, you can find more and even funnier on YouTube.

Last edited:

eye95

I was about to concede that you were right and I was wrong, and then I thought about it.

Yes, you put the apostrophe after the "s" in plural nouns to make them possessive, if the "s" is what made the noun plural. In this case the plural is "people," so adding the "s" is only to make the word possessive. Therefore, the proper placement of the apostrophe is the one I used.

I do appreciate the sentiment of your post, though. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

JustaShooter

I was about to concede that you were right and I was wrong, and then I thought about it.

Yes, you put the apostrophe after the "s" in plural nouns to make them possessive, if the "s" is what made the noun plural. In this case the plural is "people," so adding the "s" is only to make the word possessive. Therefore, the proper placement of the apostrophe is the one I used.

I do appreciate the sentiment of your post, though. ;)

Indeed, it was done in fun more so than in fact - although if we were talking about a peoples (note the subtle distinction, a collective noun for people of different races/nations as opposed to a collective noun for multiple persons) then it would have been correct as I stated. Golly, ain't language fun? ;)

eye95

I considered the possibility that the post we are toying with was using the collective noun "people," for which the plural is "peoples," and dismissed it. I think he meant the plural of "person."

Anyway, your high school English teacher would be proud to read that you think that grammar is fun! ;)

Personally, I think grampar is more fun than grammar.

<o>

Kopis

That one definitely bugs me.

I like to drive fast as much as the next guy, but if for some reason you are wanting to go faster than me, I can promise you that tailgating me will only cause me to slow down. I've been rear-ended before, so I've learned about the need to drive for the guy behind me, too, and if you're six inches away that means you need to go that much slower.

Well please dont try to drive in europe or anywhere else in the world for that matter. The left lane is for passing, if a car is coming up on you, move over expeditiously. You dont need to wait until i pass or until youre 10 car lengths in front of the car that you are passing by 5mph.

Slowing down only decreases the following distance which makes it more likely for you to get rear ended. Ive never understood americans mindset on this. It's something to do with the entitlement mentality. This is my road and my space around my car and im doing the speed limt. youre breaking the law by speeding so i am going to punish you by driving slow or try to get you to rear end me.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Well please dont try to drive in europe or anywhere else in the world for that matter. The left lane is for passing, if a car is coming up on you, move over expeditiously. You dont need to wait until i pass or until youre 10 car lengths in front of the car that you are passing by 5mph.

Right, because nowhere in Europe are there one-lane roads. :rolleyes:

Nobody said a word about driving slow in the left lane.

Nobody is "punishing" anybody for speeding. I don't believe in traffic laws, for crissake. :lol:

The simple fact is, when we're on a one-lane road, and you can't pass me, if I'm driving as fast as conditions/safety allow, and you're closer than the stopping distance, I have to slow down to accommodate. If this causes you to reduce your following distance, then I'll have to slow down even further to accommodate (and that's your fault). This is experienced driving. Period, end of discussion.

Oh, and I absolutely promise you I have more driving time in Europe: Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, UK, Czech Republic, etc etc etc. :)

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Nobody said anything about the fast lane. In fact, most of the time I've see or experienced this it has been on two-lane roads where the numpty behind me wasn't happy with speed limit plus a bit.

Slowing down only decreases the following distance which makes it more likely for you to get rear ended. Ive never understood americans mindset on this. It's something to do with the entitlement mentality. This is my road and my space around my car and im doing the speed limt. youre breaking the law by speeding so i am going to punish you by driving slow or try to get you to rear end me.

Again, in my experience the numpty behind me has already closed the following distance to next-to-nothing, so slowing down increases the amount of time available for reaction. Also, I'm not (nor have I seen anyone advocating) trying to get the guy to rear-end me.

eye95

If I am in the fast lane, and someone is coming up on me fast, I will try to move right if safe.

However, on a single lane road, or if moving right is not possible and safe, then I will slow down. It has nothing to do with punishing another driver. It is an attempt to make my speed match the following distance set by the other driver. It may also make possible moving right.

If my slowing down causes the following distance to be lessened, I will slow down more until the following distance is appropriate to the speeds we are both traveling. Yes, I know that my stubbornly applying this reaction with a stubborn driver behind me might prompt him to drive badly enough to cause impact. However, in that case, it will be well that we both slowed down, making the likely consequences of the impact far less severe than, say, spinning out at 75 mph.

BTW, I have another little trick that has worked on rare occasions. If my headlights are not already on, I turn them on. Drivers can easily mistake that for brakes being applied. Some do, most don't, but it is worth a shot.

<o>