• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT, man who approached us at Bothel meet-up....

EMNofSeattle

So on 11/2 I went to the Bothell meet and greet at the Lyon's Den organized by Boosteddreams.

well so we're OCing in the coffee room and this guy approaches us and gives us the sell about his organization which helps the victims of human trafficking and then talks about how "Detractors like to use darks things in my past to discredit the organization". his name was Dan Benedict and his organization is called "the defender foundation"

so what exactly is so dark in his past?

well how about sexually molesting a 16 year old girl in 2005?

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...ises-questions-northeast-florida-charity-work

not only that but the Florida DA cut him a plush deal, he isn't required to register as a sex offender, and he would've had this conviction occured in Washington....

But maybe i'm just one of these evil detractors.....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Other than that you were OCing at the time, what has this got to do with OCing, promoting OC, or pretty much anything here at OCDO?

If you want to alert people to a sexual predator running around in some organization devoted to stopping human trafficking why not contact them and hold your discussions there?

stay safe.

EMNofSeattle

because it was at a group meeting involving 4 different people (at least) who frequent the Washington forum and gave us all business cards, I want the people who go to that meet up to know this guy who approached us is not who he says he is.

this was at a meet-up posted here in the Washington forum. with Washington forum members, which occured in the State of Washington, while we were OCing, in accordance with the laws of Washington. It takes some latitude yes, but it is relevant to some open carriers in Washington.

he alleges to be the founder of that organization. I don't care so much what people in his group do or don't at the moment, I want my Colleagues in Open Carry who were solicited by this guy to be aware of this in case they were considering supporting it in some way.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...sexually molesting a 16 year old girl in 2005?...

Normally, my first question is how old was the offender at this time, because there is a difference when the same charge is sometimes used when the "offender" is the 18-20-year old boyfriend, even though it can be debated to be still wrong.

But all that musing went away. It was his 16-year old STEPDAUGHTER, in 2002.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Normally, my first question is how old was the offender at this time, because there is a difference when the same charge is sometimes used when the "offender" is the 18-20-year old boyfriend, even though it can be debated to be still wrong.

But all that musing went away. It was his 16-year old STEPDAUGHTER, in 2002.

yeah he was in his late 40s, it was certainly not an aggressive prosecutor pulling people who were 3 days older then the age of consent statute allows....