Thread: New guy/new carry

New guy/new carry

Hello new guy around here, heard about the site from a buddy of mine today.

I've been on the search, bouncing from pawn shop to sporting goods store, and back again looking for the right gun. I just recently sold my Taurus Judge Public Defender and I do believe after a few arguments, several trips and hours spent in the same 2 stores, I've made a final decision to purchase a Springfield XDm Compact .40 3.8" with the grip extender I course. I don't mean the extended mag it comes with, that's too big, I mean the adds-the-pinky-only grip extender. The gun fits perfectly in my hand. It passes the "eyes closed draw" test. And I absolutely LOVE the idea I the grip/trigger safety combination along with the double action only aspect. I originally turned away from the XDm because I was stuck on .45s but the double stacked magazine made the XDm .45 WAY too huge for my tiny mits.

So as my first post here, I'd like to ask some advice from people who have this weapon, or those who don't have it and why.

And since I know it'll be asked, yes the username is a reference to the "unofficial" name/rank of a perfect score in a military qualification event.... Haha

You like the features and it fits you well some of the best reasons to own and buy a handgun.

I don't own XDs as I find grips safeties not necessary.

But if I found one on the free market and the price was right I most likely buy it. Well made handguns free market handguns brought at the right price are always a good buy.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

My open carry pistol is a full size XD .45 and I LOVE it...
    Single stack 1911 compact for concealed carry
    Last edited by MattinWA; 11-10-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Welcome. I just got the same pistol for the same reasons. Enjoy the new gun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I OC an XDm 9 4.5 every single day.

In fact, she's sitting next to me even as I type this.

She says hi, by the way.
    I carry everywhere because crime doesn't make appointments.

I haven't bought it yet. And I like the grip safety. I have a personal belief that mechanical safeties only get good people killed. Grip/trigger safeties get bad guys killed.

I'm a big car guy. This bleeds over into guns in the way that I like my cars fast, but they gotta look good too. In that way I like my guns functional and comfortable, but I hate Glocks because they are so basic and simple and ugly to look at. An XDm is something very functional but also super sexy to stare at all day.

Quote Originally Posted by 40/40EagleEye View Post
    I haven't bought it yet. And I like the grip safety. I have a personal belief that mechanical safeties only get good people killed. Grip/trigger safeties get bad guys killed. .

Grip safeties and trigger safeties are mechanical it one doesn't depress them the gun well not fire.

I guess for you a good double action revolver would be the gun with the least safeties out there( none). One doesn't have to worry about any safeties with them.

If one can get the job done with a cylinder full they are one of the best carry guns IMHO.

Plus they are a lot sleeker and better looking then any semi auto.

But this argument is some like what better blondes, red heads or brunettes.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 11-11-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

i have quite a few friends with XDMs. I hear they're great. Im a glock guy just because i have a couple and all my mags/holsters interchange. i think if you get the same caliber xdms, they might do the same thing.

So did you get a perfect score in a qual event?

I don't have the XDm, but I have a .45 XD compact. The major drawback I have with the grip safety is the difficulty in racking the slide it presents. I don't know if the XDm functions the same, but the XD requires that you depress the grip safety before you can rack the slide. Which is not a big issue during shooting/reloads at all. The issue is when you are working unloaded and want to break it down to clean or when you want to lock the slide open to present it to someone else, etc. The action of gripping the grip safety AND trying to engage the slide catch is a bit awkward. Not impossible, didn't say that, just odd and not really intuitive.

Otherwise, it's a nice gun to have and I enjoy it at the range, but I have others I prefer to carry and the XD sits in the nightstand rarely ever on the the hip.

So as my first post here, I'd like to ask some advice from people who have this weapon, or those who don't have it and why.
    I love my XDm 45 Bi-tone - but it is very poor work companion - as 40/40 noted you find yourself looking at it during the day and don't get much work done. As such I CC the M&P 9mm shield - it too has the extended pinkie magazine and changeable backstraps - can get it to fit just right in my hand. No grip safety, but it does have a nicely positioned thumb safety if you want to engage it.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Grip safeties and trigger safeties are mechanical it one doesn't depress them the gun well not fire.
    Ya I know. I just always refer to the slide safety as the "mechanical" safety because that's usually the first one people think of.

And Kopis, yes once. I usually averaged about 34-36. I got a 41/42 on the EST 2000, and barely squeezed a perfect qual when we went back to the live fire range. The range had the sonic setup that showed where exactly you hit each target. There were 2 I remember that if te system was accurate, I damn near just knocked it down with the shock wave haha.

Thanks for the info guys.

I myself find it actually easier to grip the gun in firing position to utilize the slide. Do you pull the back or palm the slide? I see what you mean though watching other people using different hand positions

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I haven't bought it yet. And I like the grip safety. I have a personal belief that mechanical safeties only get good people killed. Grip/trigger safeties get bad guys killed.

I'm a big car guy. This bleeds over into guns in the way that I like my cars fast, but they gotta look good too. In that way I like my guns functional and comfortable, but I hate Glocks because they are so basic and simple and ugly to look at. An XDm is something very functional but also super sexy to stare at all day.
    Ah but it is there "basic and simple" that makes them not only reliable but beautiful. And you don't find recalls running around for Glocks like you do with XD's. I am also a gearhead and love fine machines. But a car is in a different category than a defensive arm. My carry guns are tools and as such, the single most important asset is that they work.... that they go bang when they are called upon. Simple and basic elevates this asset more than complexity and fancy does.

Incidentally, I own and XD40 so I do know something about them.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    you don't find recalls running around for Glocks like you do with XD's.
    The only recall I'm aware of for Springfield Armory is for the XDs, are you aware of any other "recalls running around" for their firearms?

Oh, and btw, just because Glock doesn't call them recalls and won't admit to ever having a recall doesn't mean they aren't recalls. If it walks like a duck... You know, like that "Technical Bulletin" back in 1992 that affected nearly a half a million firearms where Glock gave owners a "free factory upgrade" - as far as I know, that was the largest firearm recall in US history.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    The only recall I'm aware of for Springfield Armory is for the XDs, are you aware of any other "recalls running around" for their firearms?

Oh, and btw, just because Glock doesn't call them recalls and won't admit to ever having a recall doesn't mean they aren't recalls. If it walks like a duck... You know, like that "Technical Bulletin" back in 1992 that affected nearly a half a million firearms where Glock gave owners a "free factory upgrade" - as far as I know, that was the largest firearm recall in US history.
    There was also the "non-recall" recall on the original Gen 4 recoil springs. Not bashing Glock, they all have things that come up from time to time. If you ever find a company with 100% perfection rolling off the line 100% of the time, that gun's gonna cost you a million dollars to buy.