• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy/new carry

40/40EagleEye

Hello new guy around here, heard about the site from a buddy of mine today.

I've been on the search, bouncing from pawn shop to sporting goods store, and back again looking for the right gun. I just recently sold my Taurus Judge Public Defender and I do believe after a few arguments, several trips and hours spent in the same 2 stores, I've made a final decision to purchase a Springfield XDm Compact .40 3.8" with the grip extender I course. I don't mean the extended mag it comes with, that's too big, I mean the adds-the-pinky-only grip extender. The gun fits perfectly in my hand. It passes the "eyes closed draw" test. And I absolutely LOVE the idea I the grip/trigger safety combination along with the double action only aspect. I originally turned away from the XDm because I was stuck on .45s but the double stacked magazine made the XDm .45 WAY too huge for my tiny mits.

So as my first post here, I'd like to ask some advice from people who have this weapon, or those who don't have it and why.

And since I know it'll be asked, yes the username is a reference to the "unofficial" name/rank of a perfect score in a military qualification event.... Haha

Firearms Iinstuctor

You like the features and it fits you well some of the best reasons to own and buy a handgun.

I don't own XDs as I find grips safeties not necessary.

But if I found one on the free market and the price was right I most likely buy it. Well made handguns free market handguns brought at the right price are always a good buy.

DamnYankeeOk

Welcome. I just got the same pistol for the same reasons. Enjoy the new gun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

40/40EagleEye

I haven't bought it yet. And I like the grip safety. I have a personal belief that mechanical safeties only get good people killed. Grip/trigger safeties get bad guys killed.

I'm a big car guy. This bleeds over into guns in the way that I like my cars fast, but they gotta look good too. In that way I like my guns functional and comfortable, but I hate Glocks because they are so basic and simple and ugly to look at. An XDm is something very functional but also super sexy to stare at all day.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I haven't bought it yet. And I like the grip safety. I have a personal belief that mechanical safeties only get good people killed. Grip/trigger safeties get bad guys killed. .

Grip safeties and trigger safeties are mechanical it one doesn't depress them the gun well not fire.

I guess for you a good double action revolver would be the gun with the least safeties out there( none). One doesn't have to worry about any safeties with them.

If one can get the job done with a cylinder full they are one of the best carry guns IMHO.

Plus they are a lot sleeker and better looking then any semi auto.

But this argument is some like what better blondes, red heads or brunettes.

Last edited:

Kopis

i have quite a few friends with XDMs. I hear they're great. Im a glock guy just because i have a couple and all my mags/holsters interchange. i think if you get the same caliber xdms, they might do the same thing.

So did you get a perfect score in a qual event?

mobiushky

I don't have the XDm, but I have a .45 XD compact. The major drawback I have with the grip safety is the difficulty in racking the slide it presents. I don't know if the XDm functions the same, but the XD requires that you depress the grip safety before you can rack the slide. Which is not a big issue during shooting/reloads at all. The issue is when you are working unloaded and want to break it down to clean or when you want to lock the slide open to present it to someone else, etc. The action of gripping the grip safety AND trying to engage the slide catch is a bit awkward. Not impossible, didn't say that, just odd and not really intuitive.

Otherwise, it's a nice gun to have and I enjoy it at the range, but I have others I prefer to carry and the XD sits in the nightstand rarely ever on the the hip.

HPmatt

So as my first post here, I'd like to ask some advice from people who have this weapon, or those who don't have it and why.

I love my XDm 45 Bi-tone - but it is very poor work companion - as 40/40 noted you find yourself looking at it during the day and don't get much work done. As such I CC the M&P 9mm shield - it too has the extended pinkie magazine and changeable backstraps - can get it to fit just right in my hand. No grip safety, but it does have a nicely positioned thumb safety if you want to engage it.

40/40EagleEye

Grip safeties and trigger safeties are mechanical it one doesn't depress them the gun well not fire.

Ya I know. I just always refer to the slide safety as the "mechanical" safety because that's usually the first one people think of.

And Kopis, yes once. I usually averaged about 34-36. I got a 41/42 on the EST 2000, and barely squeezed a perfect qual when we went back to the live fire range. The range had the sonic setup that showed where exactly you hit each target. There were 2 I remember that if te system was accurate, I damn near just knocked it down with the shock wave haha.

Thanks for the info guys.

I myself find it actually easier to grip the gun in firing position to utilize the slide. Do you pull the back or palm the slide? I see what you mean though watching other people using different hand positions

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I haven't bought it yet. And I like the grip safety. I have a personal belief that mechanical safeties only get good people killed. Grip/trigger safeties get bad guys killed.

I'm a big car guy. This bleeds over into guns in the way that I like my cars fast, but they gotta look good too. In that way I like my guns functional and comfortable, but I hate Glocks because they are so basic and simple and ugly to look at. An XDm is something very functional but also super sexy to stare at all day.

Ah but it is there "basic and simple" that makes them not only reliable but beautiful. And you don't find recalls running around for Glocks like you do with XD's. I am also a gearhead and love fine machines. But a car is in a different category than a defensive arm. My carry guns are tools and as such, the single most important asset is that they work.... that they go bang when they are called upon. Simple and basic elevates this asset more than complexity and fancy does.

Incidentally, I own and XD40 so I do know something about them.

JustaShooter

you don't find recalls running around for Glocks like you do with XD's.

The only recall I'm aware of for Springfield Armory is for the XDs, are you aware of any other "recalls running around" for their firearms?

Oh, and btw, just because Glock doesn't call them recalls and won't admit to ever having a recall doesn't mean they aren't recalls. ;) If it walks like a duck... You know, like that "Technical Bulletin" back in 1992 that affected nearly a half a million firearms where Glock gave owners a "free factory upgrade" - as far as I know, that was the largest firearm recall in US history.

mobiushky

The only recall I'm aware of for Springfield Armory is for the XDs, are you aware of any other "recalls running around" for their firearms?

Oh, and btw, just because Glock doesn't call them recalls and won't admit to ever having a recall doesn't mean they aren't recalls. ;) If it walks like a duck... You know, like that "Technical Bulletin" back in 1992 that affected nearly a half a million firearms where Glock gave owners a "free factory upgrade" - as far as I know, that was the largest firearm recall in US history.

There was also the "non-recall" recall on the original Gen 4 recoil springs. Not bashing Glock, they all have things that come up from time to time. If you ever find a company with 100% perfection rolling off the line 100% of the time, that gun's gonna cost you a million dollars to buy.