• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Virginia can I have my pistol in my hotel room?

Johnbo

Planning on having a pistol in my vehicle stored in compartment as I travel, can I take my firearm with me to my hotel room? I am from a state with no reciprocity with Va. I don't mean to wear it or carry it but have it in my room for protection.

Thanks,
Johnbo

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Planning on having a pistol in my vehicle stored in compartment as I travel, can I take my firearm with me to my hotel room? I am from a state with no reciprocity with Va. I don't mean to wear it or carry it but have it in my room for protection.

Thanks,
Johnbo

Yes you can have it in your Hotel room....or wear it openly nearly everywhere. There are a few forbidden places, schools, courthouses, a few others. I'm sure someone will jump in with the complete list which isn't long.

Open carry is legal here without a permit, enjoy the freedom and see if you can get your state with the program.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Welcome to Virginia, enjoy your visit. As Peter said open carry is good here. Wish we could get VA and GA together on reciprocity.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk

Johnbo

ah ok I didn't know OC was legal in VA. Do you need a permit? I guess not. I OC all the time in GA. Wish we had reciprocity not sure why not. No training requirement in Ga? I guess.

Thanks for your replies. Taking my father's ashes to be interred at Arlington this week.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to Virginia Johnbo.

Any person not otherwise restricted by mental or legal disqualification may OC in VA, including in a vehicle, w/o a permit.

We can't carry in courts and jails - no surprise there.

We enjoy state preemption so you won't find any difference from city to town to county, presuming your handgun holds 20 rounds or less.

A majority of restaurants, gas stations and retailers are either friendly or neutral.

Most major shopping centers (malls) are anti gun as all a majority of movie theaters - these are private property and make their own rules. If asked to leave, just comply.

Tried to find the VCDL "carry card" but am not on my home PC - can any one post it or a link to it for our visitor?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
ah ok I didn't know OC was legal in VA. Do you need a permit? I guess not. I OC all the time in GA. Wish we had reciprocity not sure why not. No training requirement in Ga? I guess.

Thanks for your replies. Taking my father's ashes to be interred at Arlington this week.

Sorry about the loss of your dad. Arlington National Cemetery is one place where you'll not be able to carry due to federal property. Its a shame really as most of the occupants fought to protect our freedoms.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

2a4all

Oh no i know better than to carry at the cemetery. Ill have to leave them locked in the trunk.
Johnbo: I passed thru your state in Sep, travelling to & from Orlando. I arrange not to stop, as like you here, I am unpermitted there.

As for your visit to Arlington (sorry about your dad), when I take my mother to visit my dad at the Bay Pines VA cemetery in St Petersburg FL, I leave my firearm at her house in Tampa, as transporting a firearm onto federal property is prohibited. Not even locked in the trunk. Same is true at Arlington.

You'll need to park off property. Whatever you do, don't enter DC with your firearm, or any parts thereof or ammunition.

Enjoy your stay.

Numenor

We don't have reciprocity with GA because the GA CHP database isn't accessible 24/7/365 for checking permit validity. That's a VA law requirement for us to recognize another state's CHP.

So... get on your Legislature about that. :p

Last edited:

Johnbo

Thanks for all yalls help. Turns out I could have left my pistols anywhere inside my car when I went to the cemetery. No one checked or even seemed like they would ever check. Went early and spent about 6 hours walking around. Quite a special place. I ended up hiding the pistols in my hotel room and leaving the do not disturb sign on the outside knob. The day earlier I had accidently travelled across the bridge into DC while tying to figure out how to drive back to my hotel. Oh well. Traffic sucks in this area; it was very confusing. Nice state yall have there. Too bad it's right next to Washington DC. One question though... if OC is legal in Virginia... why does it seem lots of your law enforcement types don't like it or uphold the law. Here in Ga the typical response from Leo is "I wish more people carried" or "have a nice day". Was OC just recently passed in Virginia?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for all yalls help. Turns out I could have left my pistols anywhere inside my car when I went to the cemetery. No one checked or even seemed like they would ever check. Went early and spent about 6 hours walking around. Quite a special place. I ended up hiding the pistols in my hotel room and leaving the do not disturb sign on the outside knob. The day earlier I had accidently travelled across the bridge into DC while tying to figure out how to drive back to my hotel. Oh well. Traffic sucks in this area; it was very confusing. Nice state yall have there. Too bad it's right next to Washington DC. One question though... if OC is legal in Virginia... why does it seem lots of your law enforcement types don't like it or uphold the law. Here in Ga the typical response from Leo is "I wish more people carried" or "have a nice day". Was OC just recently passed in Virginia?

Actually Virginia has had OC literally forever - there is no statute/law against it, therefore OC is legal. Local municipalities were controlled by the fact that Va. is a Dillon Rule state - but there were some attempts by localities to abridge that right.

State preemption of all firearms laws slammed the door on such efforts.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

All in all we enjoy a relatively good relationship with LEA, which is not to say there are not occasional isolated problems. Unfortunately, northern Virginia (NoVa) has a large population of people from traditionally anti gun states that bring with them their bias. Lots of good freedom loving people there too though - many of them dedicated to promoting and defending our RKBA.

If you're in our fair state long enough, try to catch one of the local meet n' greets and share some face time with with those that have been there and done that. If time is to short, give us a heads up before you come back next time and we'll arrange a lunch or dinner - we enjoy doing that. :)

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Actually Virginia has had OC literally forever - there is no statute/law against it, therefore OC is legal. Local municipalities were controlled by the fact that Va. is a Dillon Rule state - but there were some attempts by localities to abridge that right.

State preemption of all firearms laws slammed the door on such efforts.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

All in all we enjoy a relatively good relationship with LEA, which is not to say there are not occasional isolated problems. Unfortunately, northern Virginia (NoVa) has a large population of people from traditionally anti gun states that bring with them their bias. Lots of good freedom loving people there too though - many of them dedicated to promoting and defending our RKBA.

If you're in our fair state long enough, try to catch one of the local meet n' greets and share some face time with with those that have been there and done that. If time is to short, give us a heads up before you come back next time and we'll arrange a lunch or dinner - we enjoy doing that. :)

Thank you for that. There are many of us "north of the Ni" that are dedicated to promoting our RKBA.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you for that. There are many of us "north of the Ni" that are dedicated to promoting our RKBA.

That there are and darned effective too. You guys and gals get the job done.
icon14.png