Thread: Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day

Giving thanks to all of the men and women who served America to keep us free and safe from evil countries in the world.

America wasn't given its freedom. Men had to kill and die for it.

I salute them.

Thank you

I just returned home from my community's standing room only Veterans Day observance, complete with two minutes of silence, prayers, a sing-along, rifle salute and taps.

I had to again stand mute and gently weeping during their rendition of The Battle Hymn of the Republic, this after the music teacher's "teaching history through music." I asked her year before last for balance with the CSA Anthem Dixie's Land. History is written by the victors, often less than generous or ingenuous.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Any of you walking in a parade? I thought about it this year, but my VFW Post isn't very active unfortunately. Did get a cool letter from a local grade school though. That was different. Thanks to my fellow brothers in arms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Veterans-Day.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	10972

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    Giving thanks to all of the men and women who served America to keep us free and safe from evil countries in the world.

America wasn't given its freedom. Men had to kill and die for it.

I salute them.
    The recruiting station is right down the block ... open door, sign a piece of paper .. do your part.

Have not you watched Starship Troopers ? lol

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The recruiting station is right down the block ... open door, sign a piece of paper .. do your part. Have not you watched Starship Troopers ? lol
    Better, read it. The movie is a poor one dimensional cartoon of military enfranchisement.

Look at the huge Wikipedia article, that includes, "The novel has been criticised for its social and political themes including allegations of advocating fascism or militarism."
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-15-2013 at 05:46 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Any of you walking in a parade? I thought about it this year, but my VFW Post isn't very active unfortunately. Did get a cool letter from a local grade school though. That was different. Thanks to my fellow brothers in arms.
    Our little town's parade was the Saturday before. I towed a flatbed trailer full of Cob Scouts.