• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CJ Grisham arrested again today

half_life1052

The gun would have gotten a much bigger reaction if its nature wasn't known already to the officer. Open carry is bad ju-ju in Texas unlike other areas in the US. I would think that the officer knew what they were dealing with and took action under the color of law that was extra-legal.

half_life1052

I don't know absolutely but I feel pretty comfortable with what I have inferred from what I know so far. Being as I have about a 90% chance of being a resident of Austin by January I feel it is time to get my feet wet and learn a little about the lay of the land.

stealthyeliminator

I don't know absolutely but I feel pretty comfortable with what I have inferred from what I know so far. Being as I have about a 90% chance of being a resident of Austin by January I feel it is time to get my feet wet and learn a little about the lay of the land.

From what I've been able to gather, you can OC your rifle and BP replica pistol (even if it shoots real bullets) all around Austin without issue. Walk up to the capital, though, and you may get run through Travis County Jail.

half_life1052

From what I've been able to gather, you can OC your rifle and BP replica pistol (even if it shoots real bullets) all around Austin without issue. Walk up to the capital, though, and you may get run through Travis County Jail.

One thing I will miss about the 'burg will be the ease of open carry. I may have to think about OCing that which can't be mentioned here as an alternate.

stealthyeliminator

For those that are on the fence, or think that OCT is just a bunch of loose cannons, review this video and tell me what you think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ug_G119af0 Note the date and please, at least try to put together a time line for yourself. I can't handle much more misinformation or conclusion jumping when evidence to the contrary is available and presented.

hammer6

omg. authority for apparent owner?? the cops work for us homie...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

eye95

Who said OCT was a "bunch of loose cannons"?

I only said that I have a tough time getting outraged. CJ carried what could be mistaken for a real firearm in a place where a real firearm could not be carried. He got arrested. waa.

I hope his actions help the cause. I don't think they will help or hurt, but I ain't gonna get worked up over what I see as a stupid move on his part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OC for ME

I wonder if the money that some OCT advocates are spending on lawyers would be better spent on politicians that will work to get OC in Texas.

stealthyeliminator

Who said OCT was a "bunch of loose cannons"?

I only said that I have a tough time getting outraged. CJ carried what could be mistaken for a real firearm in a place where a real firearm could not be carried. He got arrested. waa.

I hope his actions help the cause. I don't think they will help or hurt, but I ain't gonna get worked up over what I see as a stupid move on his part.

<o>

Who said that? No one so far as I'm aware. Did I say that someone said that? Oh, doesn't appear so. >>> moving on?

[strike]I'm not trying to argue with you. You are free to be outraged, or not. However, the statement "CJ carried what could be mistaken for a real firearm in a place where a real firearm could not be carried" has several problems, which should be clear based on the discussion that has already taken place in this thread. First of all, CJ carried a toy that resembled a device which is exempted from "firearm" status. Had this been a real version of the device it was made to resemble, any arrest for a firearm related offense would have been equally unlawful - at least, that's idea. You might say we'll see how the court finds, but please see how that will likely not be the case in point #3. Secondly, if it could have legitimately been mistaken for a firearm and he was carrying it in an area that prohibited possession, this [strike]would[/strike] may have been probable cause to search and investigate. Upon investigation, it would have been determined that the suspected firearm was in fact nothing but a toy. The bottom line is that any arrest made on the premise that it was a real firearm is a false arrest when it was not a real firearm. It is against the law (well, the "rules," at least) to carry a firearm at the capital, it does not make you guilty of a crime to be merely suspected of carrying a firearm. Since when does mere suspicion of a crime justify arrest and formal charges, and especially when evidence has arisen that the suspicions were false? Thirdly, Grisham has not been charged with any weapons related offense, so whether he was carrying a toy pistol, a real BP pistol, a rifle, or a bazooka (according to reports, some were present) is probably completely irrelevant to the case. This, I believe, will turn into a case of whether or not the capital [/strike]

I will repost after work and hopefully make more sense than this. /\

Grisham's arrest appears to be a particularly targeted act made as part of a political power play of generally liberal officials.

Last edited:

eye95

Disingenuous question. You posted to those who "think that OCT are loose cannons," clearly implying that someone had indicated that they thought so.

Moving on unless you kick the honesty up a notch.

<o>

stealthyeliminator

"CJ carried what could be mistaken for a real firearm in a place where a real firearm could not be carried."
1. What CJ was carrying is probably completely irrelevant to the case because he wasn't charged with anything relating to any sort of illegal possession (such as unlawful carrying weapons).
!! The following will most likely be largely irrelevant to the case because Grisham was not charged with any possession/weapon charge.
2. CJ was not carrying a toy that resembled an object which he would have legally been prohibited from carrying, had it been real and not an imitation. Therefore, even if the "toy" was mistaken for the "real thing," it still would not have been grounds for an arrest.
3. Furthermore, even if the "toy" was mistaken not for what it was made to imitate, but was mistaken for a prohibited object, it may have been RAS for a stop and examination of the object, but probably not arrest...

eye95

"CJ carried what could be mistaken for a real firearm in a place where a real firearm could not be carried."
1. What CJ was carrying is probably completely irrelevant to the case because he wasn't charged with anything relating to any sort of illegal possession (such as unlawful carrying weapons).
!! The following will most likely be largely irrelevant to the case because Grisham was not charged with any possession/weapon charge.
2. CJ was not carrying a toy that resembled an object which he would have legally been prohibited from carrying, had it been real and not an imitation. Therefore, even if the "toy" was mistaken for the "real thing," it still would not have been grounds for an arrest.
3. Furthermore, even if the "toy" was mistaken not for what it was made to imitate, but was mistaken for a prohibited object, it may have been RAS for a stop and examination of the object, but probably not arrest...

Honest debate, unlike the dishonesty your post immediately above this one, so I will answer.

1. What he carried was relevant to the arrest. Probable cause does not have to be the same as truth. Once it is discovered that the probable cause to believe was not borne out, that does not mean that no other charges are possible. For example, resisting a lawful arrest for a crime not committed is still a crime if the arrest was lawful even though the arrestee was, until the resistance, guilty of no crime. Therefore, what he was carrying, and what it caused the officer's to reasonably believe, is quite relevant.

2. It IS grounds for arrest if it created PC.

3. If it creates PC, then it is grounds for arrest--even if it later turns out that no crime was committed.

At the very least, the mistaken belief that the toy was a gun (I believe that is what CJ intended), it is grounds to be asked to leave. When CJ didn't leave, he was guilty of trespass, even if it is later discovered that the object was not a gun.

In any event, CJ played childish games, and lost the game he started. I really don't care what happens to him. He acted stupidly and not in the interests of restoring the Right.

<o>

HPmatt

maybe Grisham should stop living in an anti gun state.... and start living in a free state.

if 1 million fed up texans moved up here to here to WA we'd have the liberals routed... and Washington is a freer state then Texas anyway... just suggesting.... :lol:

Texas is a very free state, unless you go to the capitol and p/o DPS troopers. I don't think this helps bring OC to life in Texas. Living responsibly, working with your state Reps and electing some new non-RINO Senators is going to be the way to get it done. With Rick Perry FINALLY not running for Governor, you've got current AG Greg Abbott running t/b Governor, our Texas Rep Dan Branch running for AG. Our current State Senator John Carona has been hanging out in Austin for at least 20 years sitting on his butt. Now he's got Huffines running against him - by working to elect Huffines this is much more effective at making Texas OC. The new candidates are interested in groups that can help them get elected.

Working with these guys in a responsible manner should be able to get some movement on OC. At the end of the day the goal is to expand OC with concurrence of citizens that possess common sense, not be portrayed in sound-bites to low-information voters by ignorant and/or biased TV and liberal press as gun nuts scuffling with DPS troopers on the Capitol grounds. Politicians sure don't want to be asked 'why do you have the endorsement of these wing nuts that are always getting arrested at the Capitol'. It would be much better framed as a law-and-order issue - expansion of the successful CHL program with its 584,850 holders/voters(as of 12/31/12).

Last edited:

eye95

Texas fails mightily in one notable aspect of Liberty: unlicensed carry. To my knowledge, the only way to lawfully carry a handgun in Texas is to ask the government for permission and to obtain a piece of paper granting that permission. Therefore, Texas has no RKBA. They have "the privilege, as determined by the State, to keep and bear arms."

<o>

HPmatt

Texas fails mightily in one notable aspect of Liberty: unlicensed carry. To my knowledge, the only way to lawfully carry a handgun in Texas is to ask the government for permission and to obtain a piece of paper granting that permission. Therefore, Texas has no RKBA. They have "the privilege, as determined by the State, to keep and bear arms."

<o>

Currently.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...§ 30.05. CRIMINAL TRESPASS. (a) A person commits an offense if he enters or remains on or in property...of another without effective consent or he enters or remains in a building of another without effective
consent and ...

2) Public property... the first part of the statute still applies to public property. ...

I think you are wrong here. "of another" means "of another person." This law does not apply to public property.