• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forbe's Rick Unger: Open Carry is not cool

Repeater

It seems Progressive Rick Unger can't help himself by hyperventilating about the Open Carry event at the Blue Mesa Grill in Arlington Texas:

Texas Gun Bullies Use Semi-Automatics To Terrorize Mothers Against Guns-NRA Remains Silent
Open Carry bragged—

“We had a great time today walking through San Antonio with our semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. The best part was that the reaction was very positive and supportive. People are “getting used” to seeing and being around guns and police have come to accept it and don’t even question us anymore. What we are doing is working and society is coming to view the sight of “military style rifles” in public as just another normal thing. Isn’t that a good thing?”

Does anyone really think that this is what the 2nd Amendment was designed to accomplish?

Does anyone think the Founders would approve of a group of 40 armed citizens making their point by terrifying their unarmed neighbors practicing their own right to pursue their point of view? To defend such an action in unworthy of any true defender of the 2nd Amendment.

It’s really quite amazing. One would think that the most ardent gun rights activist and protector of 2nd Amendment rights would be capable of simply saying that the behavior we witnessed here was just not cool. Acknowledging this would, in no way, dent their 2nd Amendment credentials. And yet, so many cannot bring themselves to do this.

Unger asserts that openly showing a weapon is an act of terrorism -- and that the NRA should condem it:
It also seems appropriate to point out Webster’s definition of terrorism— ”the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal.” While I suppose some would argue that placing one in fear of being on the wrong end of a violent act is not violence until the act takes place, I wonder if anyone who has ever found themselves on the business end of a weapon would agree?

This leads to the question all gun rights advocates should now be asking—why am I writing this article when it should be the National Rifle Association speaking out loudly against Open Carry Texas?

While I understand that the NRA would support the political objectives of Open Carry, I don’t know how they can continue to claim that they are all about 2nd Amendment rights if they remain quiet in the face of those who would use the 2nd Amendment to support gun bullying.

So, your move NRA. Let’s hope you do the right thing.

Contact Rick at thepolicypage@gmail.com and follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Because "open carry" in Texas is limited to rifles and shotguns.

It is the LAW that is requiring their "open carry" to be so conspicuous and controversial.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
+1

You see the terrorists all over airport security lines - have seen them every time I fly for at least the last 10 years.

But the airports make it easy to spot them - they make them wear blue rubber gloves.

stay safe.

rushcreek2

The question is ..... Did he feel "terrorized" ?

Obviously not - since he feels "safe" referring to them as "terrorists".

" Terror " occurs when Mr. Unger, et al find themselves surrounded by a mob of REAL terrorists ...wishing that the Open Carry Texas crew would please show up.

Please ...wear some identification to let us "terrorists" know that you don't want any "terrorists" like us risking our necks attempting to save you from rapists, robbers, or murderers.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"...One would think that the most ardent gun rights activist and protector of 2nd Amendment rights would be capable of simply saying that the behavior we witnessed here was just not cool..."

I agree, it wasn't cool. I don't open carry for coolness. I've never met anybody who did.

Black_water

It also seems appropriate to point out Webster’s definition of terrorism— ”the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal.”

What they really want as the definition is: Anything that offends us.

I think it is a stretch to call someone walking around with a gun "terrorism".

I can't seem to wrap my brain around the mindset that lawful citizens displaying guns is somehow worse than criminals concealing them.

Thundar

The Unger worm failed to cite his "Webster's" source for his meaning of terrorism. Mine is quite different.

Since when did the open carrying of firearms become an act of terrorism?

Since when did the irrational fears of gun grabbers become the standard for appropriate behavior?

The logic is flawed, so the author makes an emotional appeal.

Complete fail.

Saxxon

The problem really is Texas doesn't allow open carry of pistols (sidearms). Realistically I wouldn't OC my rifle/shotgun around unless there was an event necessitating such (ie a riot) in progress. I OC my pistol fairly often in warm weather as some might know. The carrying of a rifle/shotgun for self-defense while ocnducting your day-to-day business is problematic as it is cumbersome compared to a holstered pistol.

As for the airport terrorists, you might like this little clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaCPYqLCdQ