• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BOYCOTT: Myer's Market Airport Blvd., Mobile, Open Carry Hostile

Tony_B

I went to Myer's Market (4684 Airport Boulevard Mobile, AL 36608) today out of necessity in that my fuel tank was on empty. This store is on the corner of General Bullard Boulevard and Airport Boulevard across from the Harbor Freight shopping center and Firestone on their right. While in the store I also purchased a coffee.

I paid for the coffee and fuel and left the store. About halfway between their front door and my vehicle out in the parking lot a woman calls out "Sir!" "Sir!" I only turned around after she kept on with the "Sir!" since there weren't but a couple of customers on the entire property.

She then approached me and stated, "I don't want you to take this the wrong way ... and I know Alabama is an open carry state, but ..." and then she went on to explain that "guns scare me" and that she "didn't want me coming into the store open carrying again." I told her that wasn't a problem, that I would take my business elsewhere, and that she would never see me again.

I went back into the store and got a refund for the fuel I had purchased but had yet not pumped. While waiting for the refund I asked the woman in question what specific behavior of mine concerned her during the time I was inside and paying for the goods I purchased at which point she didn't answer. The cashier didn't say anything but the look on her face while refunding my money was most certainly sympathetic toward me.

So in case you want to deprive those businesses that are open carry hostile Myer's Market at 4684 Airport Boulevard Mobile, Alabama 36608 is one such business. I'm trying to find the contact information for their corporate office but so far have not found one and won't be going back onto their property to look for such information on their doors or windows.

Last edited:

Tony_B

I can't quite see her actions and confrontational approach as someone who was afraid of you.
You know I hadn't even thought of that aspect of it. Now that you mention it she most certainly must have been scared :rolleyes: to have followed me out of the store and into the parking lot to communicate her political, anti-gun position.

Good catch. Thanks!

cjohnson44546

if someone told me...

"Guns scare me"

I'd say something similar to...

"That is so sad. Have you sought professional counseling or psychiatric care?"

Tony_B

if someone told me...

"Guns scare me"

I'd say something similar to...

"That is so sad. Have you sought professional counseling or psychiatric care?"
This is the first time in several years of open carry that I have ever been questioned or had a negative response in doing so. Have never had an officer stop me and have been in the presence of many over the years at various locations and times.

I try to make it a point to refrain from making comments that might make a bad situation worse. Especially when it involves open carry, but I understand your sentiment. I did make it clear that there were plenty of other stores that want my business and that she wouldn't see me again.

Still looking for their corporate contact information. I'd like to hear what the corporate policy is on this issue.

brimst0ne13

Hell, if she was afraid of midgets or had a phobia of people chewing juicy fruit, would she have run out and told them that and not to come back?

Judge_Johnston

Firearms Phobia

I suppose if you had a cross around your neck she would be in line with depriving you of your first Amendment rights. Ever since the civil right movement, private businesses just are not free to discriminate on the basis of one constitutional rights. Try being an innkeeper and not renting to a gay couple. I run into the "scared" all the time but they have no problem calling 911 and getting a young police office to come out and perhaps kill whoever is robbing them. So their argument is not based on logic, it is a mental illness.

eye95

Any progress on the corporate front? Personally, I don't join in boycotts. They are silly. I simply do not do business with establishments that won't allow me to carry.

Step one is to find out if I am dealing with a rogue petty functionary (they are everywhere, if you know what I mean). If I am, and the establishment allows carry, I will be back and carrying. If the corporate policy was accurately represented to me, I will take a shot at explaining why they should change the policy. Failing that, I will simply let them know that I won't be back.

That ain't boycotting. That is a simple patronization decision.