• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting from MS

Glocklover20

Hi, I had a few questions regarding TN state gun laws. I have my CC permit and will have my Enhanced soon, I no that TN honors my CC permit. What are the restrictions on me as a non-resident, if any? This includes state parks, city parks, stores, etc... I will be in and around Gatlinburg. If there is any tips, advise that anyone can give me it would be much appreciated. I also know that most of you are not lawyers and I will be consulting a TN lawyer soon just to be safe as we visit TN at least 2 times a year, I would just like to have a little more knowledge before i talk to the lawyer.

Kopis

Hello fellow glock lover! I cant answer about the parks and what not but you may OC or CC with any recognized CCW, HCP or WCP. Some people recommend to CC in places that are in question.

Glocklover20

Hello fellow glock lover! I cant answer about the parks and what not but you may OC or CC with any recognized CCW, HCP or WCP. Some people recommend to CC in places that are in question.
I'll probably cc due the the large number of people and not being very firmillar with the police force there.

Kopis

TN doesnt have any issues with Open carry. I live in AR just across from memphis and OC all the time. Ive even encountered a few LEOs while on my bike OCing or walking in downtown memphis. They would barely even glance at my firearm before nodding at me.

Glocklover20

TN doesnt have any issues with Open carry. I live in AR just across from memphis and OC all the time. Ive even encountered a few LEOs while on my bike OCing or walking in downtown memphis. They would barely even glance at my firearm before nodding at me.

Now I will be checking g handgun law site right after this but if I'm not mistakin do TN cops have right to stop and demand your gun and check your criminal status?

docachna

stop and identify

Now I will be checking g handgun law site right after this but if I'm not mistakin do TN cops have right to stop and demand your gun and check your criminal status?

Here's a snippet from the NRA site:

It is unlawful for any person to carry "with the intent to go armed" a firearm, knife with a blade length exceeding four inches, or a club. The burden is on the state to show an "intent to go armed."

It is a defense to unlawful carrying if the possession or carrying was:

•By a person authorized by written directive and permit to carry handguns.

So, in TN, you start with the presumption that under TN statute, carrying a handgun is a crime, but various defenses exist. One of those defenses is having a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). Since possession of a handgun is INITIALLY a crime, then merely seeing you with a visible weapon arguably gives law enforcement reasonable, articulable suspicion that you MAY be committing a crime (carrying of a handgun). Since he cannot eliminate that suspicion without contacting you, thus, LEO in TN have the right to stop you and confirm that you have an HCP, and thus have a valid defense to the charge of carrying a handgun "with intent to go armed" (must flow from Civil War days....).

Presumably, the limits to such a stop would be that LEO can check your HCP for validity (and, I presume, check you for warrants in the course of so doing). I do not believe TN law explicitly permits LEO to disarm you during such a stop, but most of the time, this is overlooked in favor of "officer safety". I'm not agreeing, mind you....

Occasionally, an LEO will want to run the weapon in NCIC to insure it is not stolen. My own personal position is that this is improper, and probably constitutes an illegal search under the 4th Amendment, unless there is some OTHER indicia supporting a suspiction that the firearm is stolen. I have taken recently to covering my weapon's serial number with electrical tape. This way, LEO cannot claim the serial number was in "plain view", thus justifying a search, during which they wrote down the serial number and ran it. Might not be for everyone - that's what I do.

I've never had the experience since moving to TN 16 months ago. Hope I don't. If you choose to OC in TN, just understand you are required to show them your HCP. If they start moving beyond that, of course, it's up to you how far you let it go before you start asking "am I free to leave ???". In the few "stop and ID" incidents I've had in other states, use of those exact words brought the contact to a screeching halt, as the officer realized I knew just a little bit about my rights. Of course, the one time he said "no", that brought out a great big can of Shut The Flame Up on my part.....

Enjoy your stay.

Kopis

Yes, yiu must provide a recognized handgun or weapons permit to an LEO upon request in TN.

Glocklover20

Here's a snippet from the NRA site:

It is unlawful for any person to carry "with the intent to go armed" a firearm, knife with a blade length exceeding four inches, or a club. The burden is on the state to show an "intent to go armed."

It is a defense to unlawful carrying if the possession or carrying was:

•By a person authorized by written directive and permit to carry handguns.

So, in TN, you start with the presumption that under TN statute, carrying a handgun is a crime, but various defenses exist. One of those defenses is having a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). Since possession of a handgun is INITIALLY a crime, then merely seeing you with a visible weapon arguably gives law enforcement reasonable, articulable suspicion that you MAY be committing a crime (carrying of a handgun). Since he cannot eliminate that suspicion without contacting you, thus, LEO in TN have the right to stop you and confirm that you have an HCP, and thus have a valid defense to the charge of carrying a handgun "with intent to go armed" (must flow from Civil War days....).

Presumably, the limits to such a stop would be that LEO can check your HCP for validity (and, I presume, check you for warrants in the course of so doing). I do not believe TN law explicitly permits LEO to disarm you during such a stop, but most of the time, this is overlooked in favor of "officer safety". I'm not agreeing, mind you....

Occasionally, an LEO will want to run the weapon in NCIC to insure it is not stolen. My own personal position is that this is improper, and probably constitutes an illegal search under the 4th Amendment, unless there is some OTHER indicia supporting a suspiction that the firearm is stolen. I have taken recently to covering my weapon's serial number with electrical tape. This way, LEO cannot claim the serial number was in "plain view", thus justifying a search, during which they wrote down the serial number and ran it. Might not be for everyone - that's what I do.

I've never had the experience since moving to TN 16 months ago. Hope I don't. If you choose to OC in TN, just understand you are required to show them your HCP. If they start moving beyond that, of course, it's up to you how far you let it go before you start asking "am I free to leave ???". In the few "stop and ID" incidents I've had in other states, use of those exact words brought the contact to a screeching halt, as the officer realized I knew just a little bit about my rights. Of course, the one time he said "no", that brought out a great big can of Shut The Flame Up on my part.....

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks for the information, I can honestly say I have never been stopped and asked to see my id or gun in MS, I do hope it will not happen in TN so I will probably just CC.