Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmart refused to sell me ammo

Question Walmart refused to sell me ammo

Hello,

I'm a military spouse who happens to have a CCW permit in the state of Florida. I tried to buy ammo for my 38 at the local Walmart. I was asked for ID, so I pulled out my Florida license. I was told that I can't buy ammo in the state of VA without a Va license. I explained that I had a CCW permit in the state of Fla and was told that it didn't matter because VA is an open carry state. I was then told that my husband (active duty Navy) could buy them but that he had to provide copies of his orders and other documents. Well, good luck with that. We don't carry that stuff around Walmart. I'm a new gun owner and I didn't have any facts to argue with the guy. So, I need to know if anyone has ever heard of this or has fact to back it up either way. Thanks.

(Chesapeake, Virginia)

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ordiewife View Post
    Hello,

I'm a military spouse who happens to have a CCW permit in the state of Florida. I tried to buy ammo for my 38 at the local Walmart. I was asked for ID, so I pulled out my Florida license. I was told that I can't buy ammo in the state of VA without a Va license. I explained that I had a CCW permit in the state of Fla and was told that it didn't matter because VA is an open carry state. I was then told that my husband (active duty Navy) could buy them but that he had to provide copies of his orders and other documents. Well, good luck with that. We don't carry that stuff around Walmart. I'm a new gun owner and I didn't have any facts to argue with the guy. So, I need to know if anyone has ever heard of this or has fact to back it up either way. Thanks.

(Chesapeake, Virginia)
    The clerk sounded like he/she had buying a firearm confused with buying ammunition. That's not surprising since they are Walmart employees.
    You should have asked for the Department Manager.
    Your permit isn't a factor! (That's a nice way of saying we don't need no steenkin permits...right now anyway. )
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-14-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Sounds like someone is confusing the law with purchasing a firearm. You can purchase ammo in any state as long as you have a valid ID that shows you are of age to purchase ammunition.

First thing you do is request to talk with the manager, I'm sure he will straighten it out, and if he doesn't then that's another issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Would have been good to ask for the store manager on the spot - correct deficiencies where we find them.

No permit/license is required to buy ammo.

Welcome to OCDO and Virginia.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Law suit?

The only restriction Walmart imposes in Virginia is the question (for handgun ammo like .38) is "Are you 21 or older?". This would keep them in accordance with BATFE regulations. You were refused commerce in a public establishment. You were discriminated against.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    The only restriction Walmart imposes in Virginia is the question (for handgun ammo like .38) is "Are you 21 or older?". This would keep them in accordance with BATFE regulations. You were refused commerce in a public establishment. You were discriminated against.

You were refused commerce in a public establishment.
    Which is within Walmart's sole discretion to do so.

You were discriminated against.
    No, she just ran into an ignorant Walmart employee. Like that doesn't happen hundreds of time a day!

Thanks everyone. I am definitely older than 21. So, some of you were saying that I can't buy a firearm in VA because I'm a Florida resident. But, my husband could, is that right?

Thanks everyone. I am definitely older than 21. So, some of you were saying that I can't buy a firearm in VA because I'm a Florida resident. But, my husband could, is that right?
    "Active military personnel permanently stationed in Virginia, including the Pentagon, are treated as Virginia residents for the purchase of a handgun."
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    They ask if ammo is used for a pistol or not. At least they did when I could pass as under 21

Curious. I've never been asked for ID or anything else when buying ammo at WM.

Wal-Mart had ammo

ORDIEWIFE when you contact the manager with this. let us know what they say and any hting else that happens with it
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    ORDIEWIFE when you contact the manager with this. let us know what they say and any hting else that happens with it
    Plus which store/location was involved.

Did I miss that?

I'd just go to a different store in your location or go back a different time of day. You got someone who was confused.

You do know you can buy online with no ID or anything. PM me if you want a link.

Oh, wait...

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/380acp/

HTH
    Last edited by Maverick9; 11-14-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    --snipped--
    You do know you can buy online with no ID or anything. PM me if you want a link.
    Real time on-line price check and purchase:

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/new-we...ts-ammo-stock/

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Which is within Walmart's sole discretion to do so.

No, she just ran into an ignorant Walmart employee. Like that doesn't happen hundreds of time a day!
    What you mean to tell me that all the employees of Wal-Mart don't have at least an Associate degree? I thought most had PHD's if you hear them talk.

(where is the sarcasm button?)

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    What you mean to tell me that all the employees of Wal-Mart don't have at least an Associate degree? I thought most had PHD's if you hear them talk.

(where is the sarcasm button?)
    Would that be "Post hole Digger", or "Piled higher and Deeper"?

I get so confused over acronyms.

Banned
    OP should write a song about the incident .. become a top 40 on the country charts ...

Quote Originally Posted by JesterP99 View Post
    Sounds like someone is confusing the law with purchasing a firearm. You can purchase ammo in any state as long as you have a valid ID that shows you are of age to purchase ammunition.

First thing you do is request to talk with the manager, I'm sure he will straighten it out, and if he doesn't then that's another issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    Bolded part.. is not a true statement... you may wish to review Ill/MA laws for starters..

Almost anytime you have a problem with an employee you should ask for their supervisor.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

I have NEVER shown my ID to buy ammo............... not once, not ever

Hello,

(Chesapeake, Virginia)
    Where at in Chesapeake ma'am? Depending where you are there's a few places I can link you in a PM, and it shouldn't be a problem.

You can buy a rifle or shotgun, but anything else (handgun, "other firearm", etc.) can only be purchased in your state of residence, with a photo ID from that state.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    You can buy a rifle or shotgun, but anything else (handgun, "other firearm", etc.) can only be purchased in your state of residence, with a photo ID from that state.
    Not so.

If one purchases out of their home state, the handgun will need to be transfered to a FFL in their home state - cannot be handed directly to them.

Banned
    The actual "transfer" must happen between an FFL and a transferee in the transferee's and the FFL's home State. That is often accomplished by using an FFL in one's home State to complete the transfer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The actual "transfer" must happen between an FFL and a transferee in the transferee's and the FFL's home State. That is often accomplished by using an FFL in one's home State to complete the transfer.
    There is no is requirement that the originator of a handgun transfer be an FFL or go through one.

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
    A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]
    http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-...-state-firearm
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-14-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast