• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart refused to sell me ammo

ordiewife

Hello,

I'm a military spouse who happens to have a CCW permit in the state of Florida. I tried to buy ammo for my 38 at the local Walmart. I was asked for ID, so I pulled out my Florida license. I was told that I can't buy ammo in the state of VA without a Va license. I explained that I had a CCW permit in the state of Fla and was told that it didn't matter because VA is an open carry state. I was then told that my husband (active duty Navy) could buy them but that he had to provide copies of his orders and other documents. Well, good luck with that. We don't carry that stuff around Walmart. I'm a new gun owner and I didn't have any facts to argue with the guy. So, I need to know if anyone has ever heard of this or has fact to back it up either way. Thanks.

(Chesapeake, Virginia)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hello,

I'm a military spouse who happens to have a CCW permit in the state of Florida. I tried to buy ammo for my 38 at the local Walmart. I was asked for ID, so I pulled out my Florida license. I was told that I can't buy ammo in the state of VA without a Va license. I explained that I had a CCW permit in the state of Fla and was told that it didn't matter because VA is an open carry state. I was then told that my husband (active duty Navy) could buy them but that he had to provide copies of his orders and other documents. Well, good luck with that. We don't carry that stuff around Walmart. I'm a new gun owner and I didn't have any facts to argue with the guy. So, I need to know if anyone has ever heard of this or has fact to back it up either way. Thanks.

(Chesapeake, Virginia)

The clerk sounded like he/she had buying a firearm confused with buying ammunition. That's not surprising since they are Walmart employees.
You should have asked for the Department Manager.
Your permit isn't a factor! (That's a nice way of saying we don't need no steenkin permits...right now anyway. )

Last edited:

JesterP99

Sounds like someone is confusing the law with purchasing a firearm. You can purchase ammo in any state as long as you have a valid ID that shows you are of age to purchase ammunition.

First thing you do is request to talk with the manager, I'm sure he will straighten it out, and if he doesn't then that's another issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would have been good to ask for the store manager on the spot - correct deficiencies where we find them.

No permit/license is required to buy ammo.

Welcome to OCDO and Virginia.

The Wolfhound

Law suit?

The only restriction Walmart imposes in Virginia is the question (for handgun ammo like .38) is "Are you 21 or older?". This would keep them in accordance with BATFE regulations. You were refused commerce in a public establishment. You were discriminated against.

notalawyer

The only restriction Walmart imposes in Virginia is the question (for handgun ammo like .38) is "Are you 21 or older?". This would keep them in accordance with BATFE regulations. You were refused commerce in a public establishment. You were discriminated against.

You were refused commerce in a public establishment.
Which is within Walmart's sole discretion to do so.

You were discriminated against.
No, she just ran into an ignorant Walmart employee. Like that doesn't happen hundreds of time a day!

ordiewife

Thanks everyone. I am definitely older than 21. So, some of you were saying that I can't buy a firearm in VA because I'm a Florida resident. But, my husband could, is that right?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks everyone. I am definitely older than 21. So, some of you were saying that I can't buy a firearm in VA because I'm a Florida resident. But, my husband could, is that right?
"Active military personnel permanently stationed in Virginia, including the Pentagon, are treated as Virginia residents for the purchase of a handgun."
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

MattinWA

They ask if ammo is used for a pistol or not. At least they did when I could pass as under 21 ;)

papa bear

ORDIEWIFE when you contact the manager with this. let us know what they say and any hting else that happens with it

DocWalker

Which is within Walmart's sole discretion to do so.

No, she just ran into an ignorant Walmart employee. Like that doesn't happen hundreds of time a day!

What you mean to tell me that all the employees of Wal-Mart don't have at least an Associate degree? I thought most had PHD's if you hear them talk.

(where is the sarcasm button?)

Marco

Sounds like someone is confusing the law with purchasing a firearm. You can purchase ammo in any state as long as you have a valid ID that shows you are of age to purchase ammunition.

First thing you do is request to talk with the manager, I'm sure he will straighten it out, and if he doesn't then that's another issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Bolded part.. is not a true statement... you may wish to review Ill/MA laws for starters..

Almost anytime you have a problem with an employee you should ask for their supervisor.

XD40sc

I have NEVER shown my ID to buy ammo............... not once, not ever