• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the second amendment out of date? live debate this afternoon!

Black_water

There will never be a shortage of statists that will argue that any <insert freedom here> right is outdated...just depends on agenda I guess.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The 13 colonies had good reason to distrust the new central U.S. government's disposition towards internal divisions , and they harbored absolutely no faith whatsoever that it could defend the states in the event of external threats.

Yes they did. After all, just six years past they had fought off a despotic form of government and were now in the process of forming their own. They had both history and their recent venture as lessons of what governments can do when left unchecked. What our Founders did in this nation was being watched closely by the nations of Europe. We were hope for the peasants suffering under monarchies, and fear of those monarchies for what we did and what it might cause in their own countries. Humans seem to always revisit lessons of those who went before them.

And history, along with pain, are the greatest teachers.