• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Assault and Carrying.

sudden valley gunner

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.040

Legislative recognition: "The legislature recognizes that RCW 9A.16.040 establishes a dual standard with respect to the use of deadly force by peace officers and private citizens, and further recognizes that private citizens' permissible use of deadly force under the authority of RCW 9.01.200, 9A.16.020, or 9A.16.050 is not restricted and remains broader than the limitations imposed on peace officers." [1986 c 209 § 3.]

Jeff Hayes

You are allowed to use "that amount of force required to neutralize the threat. Deadly force is to be used as a last resort when all other lesser means cannot be or have been employed without success."
First law of common sense.

One should never consciously use deadly force. The only place Deadly force is appropriate is on the battle field IMHO. If you are attacked one only attempts to stop the threat using the minimum force to keep your aggressor from continuing or escalating further. If the force you use happens to kill your aggressor then so be it, I personally would never set out to kill anyone, morally and legally that is not something I would do.

Taking a punch does not justify using a pistol unless there is a severe disparity of force involved in the situation.

These what if scenarios are really a waste of time in most cases. For example there is a big difference between punching a 90 year old woman and punching the right tackle from the Nebraska football team.

Whitney

Fundamentally Unanswerable Pseudoquestions/Phillisophical Bu11$h1t

I hope this is the right place to ask this question:

To what extent are you obligated to take a beating from anyone in Washington state?

Let's say you are at the store buying something. Someone doesn't like you, or whatever you are doing and mouths off you to. An "FU" "FU Too" conversation breaks out, and then someone punches you in the face. Assuming you are just standing there, Are you obligated to take another punch, or can you then defend yourself (to include deadly force?) At what point are you justified in pulling your gun?

DO NOT misunderstand me. I don't advocate shooting anyone, and I feel unholstering a firearm should be a very last resort.

However, there is no duty to retreat in WA, and I cant help but be curious about this type of situation.

Following is what I remember from my hitch in the military. I still use this as my guidance today.

Deadly force is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death or serious bodily harm.

One should never consciously use deadly force. The only place Deadly force is appropriate is on the battle field IMHO. If you are attacked one only attempts to stop the threat using the minimum force to keep your aggressor from continuing or escalating further. If the force you use happens to kill your aggressor then so be it, I personally would never set out to kill anyone, morally and legally that is not something I would do.

Taking a punch does not justify using a pistol unless there is a severe disparity of force involved in the situation.

These what if scenarios are really a waste of time in most cases. For example there is a big difference between punching a 90 year old woman and punching the right tackle from the Nebraska football team.

What if, you do not put yourself in the "hypothetical situation" to begin with. I aknowledge the what if scenarios are precursor. Consider your next "what if", then figure out a way to avoid or not get there. I am absolutely NOT saying lock yourself in your home and never come out.

~Whitney

Jeff Hayes

Following is what I remember from my hitch in the military. I still use this as my guidance today.

Deadly force is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death or serious bodily harm.

What if, you do not put yourself in the "hypothetical situation" to begin with. I aknowledge the what if scenarios are precursor. Consider your next "what if", then figure out a way to avoid or not get there. I am absolutely NOT saying lock yourself in your home and never come out.

~Whitney

Avoidance is always the best choice you will get no argument from me on that.

Last edited:

kparker

Wrong on two counts.

One should never consciously use deadly force.

"Use of deadly force" and "intent to kill" are not synonymous phrases. The former simply means any force that can cause death. Any time a person uses a firearm or a knife to repel an attack, they are using deadly force.

Entirely wrong. A "disparity of force" can certainly be used to help determine whether a certain case was a justifiable use of deadly force, but it's by no means a requirment.

Jeff Hayes

Wrong on two counts.

"Use of deadly force" and "intent to kill" are not synonymous phrases. The former simply means any force that can cause death. Any time a person uses a firearm or a knife to repel an attack, they are using deadly force.

Entirely wrong. A "disparity of force" can certainly be used to help determine whether a certain case was a justifiable use of deadly force, but it's by no means a requirment.

I have to disagree with you here, if I understand you correctly you are saying if someone punches you in the face you can pull your firearm out and shoot them.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have to disagree with you here, if I understand you correctly you are saying if someone punches you in the face you can pull your firearm out and shoot them.

First, there is a difference between using a firearm BECAUSE you were punched in the face, and using a firearm to PREVENT being punched in the face. No one has argued for the former, so I vote that you did not understand correctly.

Last edited:

OC for ME

GZ was punched in the face, so to speak, and the cops down there seem to feel that he was justified. There is no guarantee that GZ would have succumbed to he being punched in the face, so to speak.

Jeff Hayes

First, there is a difference between using a firearm BECAUSE you were punched in the face, and using a firearm to PREVENT being punched in the face. No one has argued for the former, so I vote that you did not understand correctly.

You are absolutely correct there is a big difference between prevention and revenge.

Bringing a firearm to a fist fight would be an inappropriate escalation of force IMHO barring a severe disparity of force of course. You can react how ever you like but you had better be able to prove you were in fear of great bodily harm or death in the state of Washington to justify shooting someone to keep them from punching you again. I would think that was a pretty steep curve to prove in a court of law with a hostile prosecutor.

Jeff Hayes

GZ was punched in the face, so to speak, and the cops down there seem to feel that he was justified. There is no guarantee that GZ would have succumbed to he being punched in the face, so to speak.

GZ was not simply punched in the face he was on his back being repeatedly assaulted by a young strong assailant. Assuming you watched the trial would you gamble your freedom on a single punch to the face or even a fist fight? GZ had a lot more to fall back on than a simple fist fight.

kparker

After all this time, do we really have to trot out RCW 9A.16.050 again?

Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.

kparker

Bringing a firearm to a fist fight would be an inappropriate escalation of force IMHO...

Absolutely not. Perhaps the disparity of our points-of-view is that you may be assuming willing participants in mutual combat; but I'm thinking of the OP's scenario of an assault that is unprovoked (other than by words.) In that latter scenario, you are welcome to think that your assailant both (a) means you no permanent harm but just wants to prove a point, and (b) has such a finely-calibrated fist that he can strike you with absolutely no risk of "great personal injury" -- but that's not the way the prudent person would bet.

EMNofSeattle

You are absolutely correct there is a big difference between prevention and revenge.

Bringing a firearm to a fist fight would be an inappropriate escalation of force IMHO barring a severe disparity of force of course. You can react how ever you like but you had better be able to prove you were in fear of great bodily harm or death in the state of Washington to justify shooting someone to keep them from punching you again. I would think that was a pretty steep curve to prove in a court of law with a hostile prosecutor.

Depends though, if you're armed and your attackers knows that fact and chooses to attack you anyway you need to consider the possibility of a gun grab which IMO would give someone reasonable cause to use deadly force to prevent th other party from accomplishing.

Assuming of course you didn't instigate the fight or had no way to retreat in safety.....

I generally think of "fistfight" as referring to a somewhat mutual instigation between both parties, in that sense there is no "victim" per se if both parties are relatively similar. If some young football player decides to beat someone up, that's an assault and you are definitely a victim if targeted as such

509rifas

I hope this is the right place to ask this question:

To what extent are you obligated to take a beating from anyone in Washington state?

Let's say you are at the store buying something. Someone doesn't like you, or whatever you are doing and mouths off you to. An "FU" "FU Too" conversation breaks out, and then someone punches you in the face. Assuming you are just standing there, Are you obligated to take another punch, or can you then defend yourself (to include deadly force?) At what point are you justified in pulling your gun?

DO NOT misunderstand me. I don't advocate shooting anyone, and I feel unholstering a firearm should be a very last resort.

However, there is no duty to retreat in WA, and I cant help but be curious about this type of situation.

This is absolutely the place to ask this question, and it's a very important question.
A lot of people's idea of a self-defense scenario is where you are just out with the wife and kids and you are accosted by a gang of crackheads with ice picks and screwdrivers, but anyone who's ever used a gun in self-defense (displayed or fired) knows that is never how it plays out.
I don't settle with the argument that "you should never be in a situation that anyone anyone will have a problem with you and you can't claim self defense if they do." The world doesn't work like that anymore. I don't follow the whole "think about that life choices you make or what you chose the be born like" when it comes to self-defense. Jackholes are everywhere.

First of all, you are never obligated to take a beating (except by LE -141 Wn.2d 731, STATE v. BRADLEY -you cannot defend yourself even against torture by LE unless actual danger of death) without being able to defend yourself. If someone punches you, be it in line at the store or in an alley, you can use force to prevent violence against yourself or others. What degree of force depends on circumstances, obviously.

Disparity of force has been mentioned many times in the previous comments. You can't shoot someone for punching you at Safeway unless you really believe (and can show in court why your belief was rational) that you were in danger of serious bodily injury (and not just a damaged ego and sore jaw). Bar fights are pretty much the same, in my opinion. If you get into it at a bar and things get out of hand, since you can't legally carry there anyway, if you pull a gun you not only violate statutes but bar fight rules, which is just as bad. If you're on the floor getting beat with pool cues that's something else, since there would be a real danger of serious bodily harm.

For what it's worth, if you're in "FU vs FU too" situations at the store, go by street rules. If you pull a gun in a fist fight you're a coward, absent other circumstances. If you weigh 110 and some 350lb doush who doesn't like you starts slapping you around but you don't have reason to believe you'll suffer serious bodily injury just get the cock out of the way. By WA law, if you have reason to believe you are in actual danger or felony assault, such as broken bones or what have you, you can use force. If said doush does so in an alley, you probably do have reason to believe you may be in for serious bodily harm unless you get more violent. But if someone bigger than you punches you at the store and you shoot him, you better have an expensive lawyer.

I don't say any of this lightly or as just an internet wannabe lawyer thing. I've drawn a gun several times for what I perceived (and still believe in hindsight) to be actual imminent danger to myself or others from unlawful use of weapons. I've heard a lot of people say "don't draw a gun unless you are going to use it" and whatnot. I don't agree with that, or even the idea that warning shots are a bad idea. (warning shots at Walmart are a bad idea.) If you get hit by some guy who's probably had too much to drink at 1:45am on the street, you have to consider both the degree of harm he's intent on causing you (and what you can prove in court) and what you can live with doing. I'd much rather shoot in the air to get a jackhole's full attention and possible change of attitude than shoot someone who was just out getting his doush on on a Saturday night. I know the mind runs fast and crazy when confronted by possibilities of force against you, but when it's happened to me what passed through my mind for whatever reasons was that I didn't want to hurt or kill someone by mistake or misperception and took cover before I aimed my weapon. Fortunately I never had to shoot, but I definitely understand where "FU" can go horribly wrong.

[I can't believe what the auto-censor is blocking out these days...]

OC for ME

GZ was not simply punched in the face he was on his back being repeatedly assaulted by a young strong assailant. Assuming you watched the trial would you gamble your freedom on a single punch to the face or even a fist fight? GZ had a lot more to fall back on than a simple fist fight.
At what point is anyone, let alone GZ, permitted to use a firearm to defend themselves? How many punches to the face.....or, must you wait until your noddle is being banged on the cement before you can defend yourself with a firearm.

Simple, you get jumped, pull out your gat and then decide if the next obvious act is required. Or, wait for the "GZ just right moment" and then see if you can, or are able to, defend yourself with your gat. It seems that folks are side stepping the issue, not in a bad way, that in fact we do need to wait until the "GZ just right moment" before we bust a cap so that we are in the sweet spot for justifying our bustin a cap.

Are you concerned for your safety at the moment you get jumped, or is a small part of your noddle thinking about the "what next" after you save your own bacon while you are engaged in saving your bacon.