Thread: How Should the Police Respond to a Report of a Man with a Gun?

How Should the Police Respond to a Report of a Man with a Gun?

Banned
    The author recommends yes, with the cop attempting to have a consensual conversation.

I have been approached by cops seeking a consensual conversation. I just ask "are you here to arrest me?" when he answers "no" then I say "I have no desire to speak to you - I am a freeman now, talking to you will not make me free-er".

Quote Originally Posted by cricketdad View Post
    Unless things have changed with the Harnett county sheriff's dept they will not answer a MWG call, they will not even respond to shots fired call, unless there is a illegal purpose of the shots fired.

I walk daily on the roadway, about 8 miles a day, openly carrying. I have been seen several times by deputies and state police, not once have I been stopped or have they even slowed down. Though they do wave at me, at least since I lost weight they don't point and laugh anymore. I have been walking on the highway since early September. I am sure some yankess taking shortcuts on the road have made calls by now.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    How should the police respond to a report of a man with a machet, knife, baseball bat, golf club?

How should the police respond to a report of a man with a truck?

How should the police respond to a report of a man with a hat?

How should the police respond to a report of a man with a woman?

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Please note, y'all, that this is referring specifically to the peculiar Neenah, Wisconsin incident, and only generally to a MWAG. It's an UNC academic writing of the Wisconsin event.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

It was well written and I agree with the author. I actually agree with both sides, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    ...The officer engaged in a protracted dialogue with the man, at one point telling the man that he would be shot in the head if he made any furtive movements...
    Really? That's all we get to go on? ZERO details about what happened in between? How is that "well written?"

Also, by the phrase: "man with a gun strapped to his back," I'm assuming this was about carrying a long gun, not about open carry of a sidearm. There is a difference (even if not legally), yet this author ignores that difference.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

since it is concerning a long gun not even slightly germane to OC form.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    since it is concerning a long gun not even slightly germane to OC form.
    See nothing here that promotes the carry of a long gun.

The OP references the UNC School of Government and application of criminal law. The consideration is most certainly germane to OC of any gun and moreover is of state specific interest to gun owners in NC.

Appreciate your thought though, but we'll let the thread stand.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Aparentally some did not follow all the links in the article. One of them leads to this paper.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...oncealed-carry

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    See nothing here that promotes the carry of a long gun.

The OP references the UNC School of Government and application of criminal law. The consideration is most certainly germane to OC of any gun and moreover is of state specific interest to gun owners in NC.

Appreciate your thought though, but we'll let the thread stand.
    This is correct and appreciated moderation--a distinction/difference is recognized between the material and the rules.
    Last edited by Citizen; 11-16-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.