• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Should the Police Respond to a Report of a Man with a Gun?

davidmcbeth

Banned
The author recommends yes, with the cop attempting to have a consensual conversation.

I have been approached by cops seeking a consensual conversation. I just ask "are you here to arrest me?" when he answers "no" then I say "I have no desire to speak to you - I am a freeman now, talking to you will not make me free-er".

WalkingWolf

Unless things have changed with the Harnett county sheriff's dept they will not answer a MWG call, they will not even respond to shots fired call, unless there is a illegal purpose of the shots fired.

I walk daily on the roadway, about 8 miles a day, openly carrying. I have been seen several times by deputies and state police, not once have I been stopped or have they even slowed down. Though they do wave at me, at least since I lost weight they don't point and laugh anymore. I have been walking on the highway since early September. I am sure some yankess taking shortcuts on the road have made calls by now.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How should the police respond to a report of a man with a machet, knife, baseball bat, golf club?

How should the police respond to a report of a man with a truck?

How should the police respond to a report of a man with a hat?

How should the police respond to a report of a man with a woman?

:banghead:

Primus

It was well written and I agree with the author. I actually agree with both sides, if that makes sense.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
article said:
...The officer engaged in a protracted dialogue with the man, at one point telling the man that he would be shot in the head if he made any furtive movements...
Really? That's all we get to go on? ZERO details about what happened in between? How is that "well written?"

Also, by the phrase: "man with a gun strapped to his back," I'm assuming this was about carrying a long gun, not about open carry of a sidearm. There is a difference (even if not legally), yet this author ignores that difference.

Last edited:

solus

since it is concerning a long gun not even slightly germane to OC form.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
since it is concerning a long gun not even slightly germane to OC form.
See nothing here that promotes the carry of a long gun.

The OP references the UNC School of Government and application of criminal law. The consideration is most certainly germane to OC of any gun and moreover is of state specific interest to gun owners in NC.

Appreciate your thought though, but we'll let the thread stand.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
See nothing here that promotes the carry of a long gun.

The OP references the UNC School of Government and application of criminal law. The consideration is most certainly germane to OC of any gun and moreover is of state specific interest to gun owners in NC.

Appreciate your thought though, but we'll let the thread stand.

This is correct and appreciated moderation--a distinction/difference is recognized between the material and the rules.

Last edited: