• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Selling pistols on radio shows.

logunowner

We have a radio show that allows people to phone in and sell stuff. They will not allow the sale of handguns on the show saying that they can't be the middle man without an FFL.

Is this true, thanks for you time.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They are wrong. There is no federal licensing needed to introduce a buyer to a seller.

That said, they can still decide they don't want to do it, but the reason they gave you is incorrect.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Agree with Mac....

It's their show, their rules. However, when they make statements, as you say they have, it shows they are probably not real friendly to firearms or are just plain ignorant.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
It is not actually that simple, it is in fact very complex.

Laws surrounding electioneering can get in the way since the government decided to make guns a political topic and broadcasting rules are actually pretty strict on the matter, one misguided verb or adjective can make the difference 60 days before an election.

Many radio stations cross state lines and it is virtually impossible to transfer guns across state lines to another person without an ffl and the radio station could be accused of facilitating that, a stretch but the anti's seem to know no limits to how much they will stretch anything.

On top of all of that, you have the civil liabilities and if I sold you a hand gun and you were not of legal age, then you did something wrong with it, well if the radio show advertised it, the lawyers would attach them to the liabilities in a civil action as well simply because of deeper pockets and what they think they can convince a jury through careful selection to do. It would be pretty easy to say that there is no way little johnny 35 miles away would have had the opportunity to make the purchase except for the radio shows advertisement that brought us together and therefore it is their fault as they put money before moral responsibilities etc etc.

More or less do anything but blame johnny for being a criminal after all, you must save the children who can never do wrong.....

Without much doubt it would not likely be economically viable, possibly pressed to imply illegal, and without any doubt a civil law suit nightmare, just ask most of the gun manufactures.

Some may be anti-gun but I would offer that a lot are just "anti-throw your money into the firestorm and pray" and without a large return, well it is not worth it.

logunowner

"It is not actually that simple, it is in fact very complex."

Nothing is ever simple. Thanks for the post. I believe I will just accept the station's desire to not sell handguns.....

Redbaron007

It is not actually that simple, it is in fact very complex.

Laws surrounding electioneering can get in the way since the government decided to make guns a political topic and broadcasting rules are actually pretty strict on the matter, one misguided verb or adjective can make the difference 60 days before an election.

Many radio stations cross state lines and it is virtually impossible to transfer guns across state lines to another person without an ffl and the radio station could be accused of facilitating that, a stretch but the anti's seem to know no limits to how much they will stretch anything.

On top of all of that, you have the civil liabilities and if I sold you a hand gun and you were not of legal age, then you did something wrong with it, well if the radio show advertised it, the lawyers would attach them to the liabilities in a civil action as well simply because of deeper pockets and what they think they can convince a jury through careful selection to do. It would be pretty easy to say that there is no way little johnny 35 miles away would have had the opportunity to make the purchase except for the radio shows advertisement that brought us together and therefore it is their fault as they put money before moral responsibilities etc etc.

More or less do anything but blame johnny for being a criminal after all, you must save the children who can never do wrong.....

Without much doubt it would not likely be economically viable, possibly pressed to imply illegal, and without any doubt a civil law suit nightmare, just ask most of the gun manufactures.

Some may be anti-gun but I would offer that a lot are just "anti-throw your money into the firestorm and pray" and without a large return, well it is not worth it.

Just to throw something else into the mix, many of the trading radio shows are not sponsored/owned by the medium they use. Some are, some aren't. If the show is a product of the station, your arguments are possible. However, if the show it's self is paying to be on the air (they then charge sponsors/underwriters for mentions of them on the air) it may not be as complex as originally thought.

Bottom line....anyone can be included on a suit at anytime for anything. Just because one is included, doesn't mean one is liable or will pay anything. Plaintiff attorneys like to use the shotgun approach at first.....try to get everybody/anybody they can with the first shot.

OC for ME

If radio is problematic, so is the Interwebs, "news paper classifieds", heck, any form of advertising beyond me walking down the street requesting to buy a gun for everyone i make contact with.

Anyone got a gun they want to sell?