• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

america should not let this happen anymore

davidmcbeth

Banned
The judge did not have to sentence him to all that time ... if he thinks that the minimum sentence is a violation of the constitution, like he said it was, then why impose the sentence?

onus

Obama asked to release music producer serving 55 years on pot and gun charges.

I don't think so. I think the jailed man is asking Obama to commute his sentence.

These kinds of stories are why I became a Libertarian. This man is arrested and jailed on federal charges.

Both democrats and republicans support this stuff.

onus

Dealing drugs? 55 years?

I see no problem.

How about freedom ? Liberty ? Lack of constitutional authority by the federal government ?

Also, most of those years came from merely possessing legally owned guns while selling marijuana.

Maybe you can explain why you feel a man should spend his entire adult life in a cage for this.

MyWifeSaidYes

I feel he should have gotten 0 time for the gun possession.

I feel he should have been summarily executed for dealing drugs.

55 years should be a good middle ground, in his opinion.

PistolPackingMomma

(snip)

And that's a power you are content to allow the government? :eek:

I am in a sharing mood tonight, so I will elaborate my view. Back when I was a right wing conservative, I believed in the death penalty. Damn right, we should execute the bad guys! They hurt people, and by God, they need to be punished! *slams fist on table*

But...what we are talking about here is giving the government, the United States of ****** Up Government, the ability to put a sliding scale of value on human life. The same government that spies on us, lies to us, and can't build a functional website with several million dollars at its disposal? The same government that routinely convicts INNOCENT, non-violent, and first time offenders alike, as well as having a documented history of racially prejudiced prosecution and the mentally ill? The same government involved in Operation Fast and Furious, Solyndra, Benghazi, Libya, drug trafficking and torture, and you want to allow them the power to execute one of its own citizens?

If you bitch about the government infringing upon your numerical rights, but still want to allow them the power to execute someone, then you need to stop bitching and start evaluating. Is human life sacred or not? Or is some life more valuable than others? Either way, is that a decision you want in the hands of powerful, unaccountable people with a long, torrid history of corruption?

Am I defending drug dealers? NO. Their clients make a choice that leads to addiction, self harm and possibly death, but that is what free well, self autonomy, what CHOICE, is all about. Does a drug dealer deserve to lose his/her life just because you find it wrong that someone voluntarily sought out the dealer for business?

Drug addiction is tragic, and there are many who are preyed upon by dealers, or circumstances, or upbringing. But is execution the best solution you can come up with? Does anyone believe murdering every drug dealer is going to stop addicts from finding any other substance to abuse? By blaming the dealer, you are removing personal responsibility from the individual.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

I am in a sharing mood tonight, so I will elaborate my view. Back when I was a right wing conservative, I believed in the death penalty. Damn right, we should execute the bad guys! They hurt people, and by God, they need to be punished! *slams fist on table*

But...what we are talking about here is giving the government, the United States of ****** Up Government, the ability to put a sliding scale of value on human life. The same government that spies on us, lies to us, and can't build a functional website with several million dollars at its disposal? The same government that routinely convicts INNOCENT, non-violent, and first time offenders alike, as well as having a documented history of racially prejudiced prosecution and the mentally ill? The same government involved in Operation Fast and Furious, Solyndra, Benghazi, Libya, drug trafficking and torture, and you want to allow them the power to execute one of its own citizens?

If you bitch about the government infringing upon your numerical rights, but still want to allow them the power to execute someone, then you need to stop bitching and start evaluating. Is human life sacred or not? Or is some life more valuable than others? Either way, is that a decision you want in the hands of powerful, unaccountable people with a long, torrid history of corruption?

Am I defending drug dealers? NO. Their clients make a choice that leads to addiction, self harm and possibly death, but that is what free well, self autonomy, what CHOICE, is all about. Does a drug dealer deserve to lose his/her life just because you find it wrong that someone voluntarily sought out the dealer for business?

Drug addiction is tragic, and there are many who are preyed upon by dealers, or circumstances, or upbringing. But is execution the best solution you can come up with? Does anyone believe murdering every drug dealer is going to stop addicts from finding any other substance to abuse? By blaming the dealer, you are removing personal responsibility from the individual.

+1

And, +1 to Onus pointing out lack of constitutional authority.

onus

I just saw online that the Taliban have a few new openings for camp counselors right now. Maybe you should apply. You can chop heads off all day long.

Jordan6679

55 years for selling weed and happened to have legal guns in the house? I hope he gets off with no time or fines that is absurd.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OC for ME

Summary execution for murdering drug dealers. The dude in the OP? Raw deal, if the sentencing judge thinks so it must be so. But.....the judge has got a cushy job and wants to keep it.....bang (sound of gavel).....55 years for you, sorry dude.

sudden valley gunner

+1

sudden valley gunner

How about freedom ? Liberty ? Lack of constitutional authority by the federal government ?

Also, most of those years came from merely possessing legally owned guns while selling marijuana.

Maybe you can explain why you feel a man should spend his entire adult life in a cage for this.

I feel he should have gotten 0 time for the gun possession.

55 years should be a good middle ground, in his opinion.

This wasn't an answer to question posed.

Why do you think that man is ugly? Because he's unattractive. Tautology....

PistolPackingMomma

I don't think anyone made the argument that weed is addictive. If you were referring to my post, I was generalizing the field, because a crack dealer's life should not be less sacred than a pot dealer. One is certainly more unsavory than the other, but I don't want the government having a points system deciding who deserves to live and who doesn't, based on emotion, prejudice, and perception of value.