Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rounds are needed when carrying?

Banned

How many rounds are needed when carrying?

Just wondering people's viewpoint ... I don't think there is a right answer ..

How many rounds?

Enough...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Kind'a like how many dollars are needed when carrying your wallet? My CCW holds ten in the magazine and one chambered. If that's not enough then I'll stop by the ATM and withdraw more.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Depends what I'm carrying:
    1911 - 8
    Taurus 24/7 9mm - 15
    PF9 - 7
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

That's up to the BG

The number of rounds that a law-abiding citizen needs to carry in order to win a gun fight, is always determined by the bad guy(s). That number is completely out of our hands. I would say it has to do with how many bad guys and how many rounds they have.

OK, to be serious, I try to have at least one reload for the firearm I am carrying. Even though stats say I would never need more.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Most of today and yesterday it was 5 I was carrying my 5 shot 44mag and no spare ammo. But then I was out in the woods and didn't expect to run into any large gangs of anything.

A lot of days it is 26 my Glock 23 and one spare mag that when I remember to take the spare mag.

Not enough when you need more too much when you have to carry it.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    As many as you may deem necessary for you. That, is the correct answer.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

I carry one mag, not counting the one in the gun. First round of fun is 10 plus 1

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

19+1 in the gun, and another 19 in the spare mag.

It isn't really in case of reload, it's more in case of malfunction.
    I carry everywhere because crime doesn't make appointments.

Old gun fighting adage: "There is no such thing as too much ammo in a gunfight."

Standard LEO carry is two spares. That of course will result in a varying number of rounds depending on the gun carried. Personally, I carry one spare mag but that is due to convenience. I found that carrying two spare mags was a bit bulky for me.

It is surprising to most just how many rounds one discharges in a simulated gun fight, especially if the first couple of rounds are not effective in stopping the threat (makes a strong case for hollow point defensive ammo), not to mention multiple aggressors. If a couple of “center body mass” rounds do not put the target down, it may be time to switch to a head shot, and the head is a hard target to hit, especially in the heat of the battle. Your aggressor may be wearing body armor.

Your aggressor may also be a wild animal. Wild animals do not respond to being shot as we humans do. Sometimes it only makes them more aggressive. You may have to conduct your defense on the run, and you don’t want to run out.

The other comment concerning clearing a malfunction is also an excellent reason for carrying a spare mag.

Good question though.

Here’s another good question. Do you know if your pistol will fire with the magazine removed, i.e., does it have a magazine lock?
    Last edited by CitizenJohn; 11-16-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Varies from 7 to 38.

7 means I'm carrying my BUG as primary with no spare mags.

38 means my EDC & 2 spares, and my BUG with a spare.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

6-9, depending on the gun for that day. I rarely carry extra. The truck, on the other hand, is loaded for an invasion.

Plan A is to avoid fights.
    Plan B is to haul ass.
    Plan C is to fire two rounds and then haul ass.

If it goes past that, well, I'll be in conservation mode sooner than some.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Depends how I'm carrying. CC then 1 mag, 13+1. OC, then 1 spare mag and the 13+1.

I'm carrying other stuff around town then 2 ammo cans with belts, backpack with 40mm and smoke, plus minimum 7 mags (used to carry 13 in some areas).

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenJohn View Post
    Old gun fighting adage: "There is no such thing as too much ammo in a gunfight."

Standard LEO carry is two spares. That of course will result in a varying number of rounds depending on the gun carried. Personally, I carry one spare mag but that is due to convenience. I found that carrying two spare mags was a bit bulky for me.

It is surprising to most just how many rounds one discharges in a simulated gun fight, especially if the first couple of rounds are not effective in stopping the threat (makes a strong case for hollow point defensive ammo), not to mention multiple aggressors. If a couple of “center body mass” rounds do not put the target down, it may be time to switch to a head shot, and the head is a hard target to hit, especially in the heat of the battle. Your aggressor may be wearing body armor.

Your aggressor may also be a wild animal. Wild animals do not respond to being shot as we humans do. Sometimes it only makes them more aggressive. You may have to conduct your defense on the run, and you don’t want to run out.

The other comment concerning clearing a malfunction is also an excellent reason for carrying a spare mag.

Good question though.

Here’s another good question. Do you know if your pistol will fire with the magazine removed, i.e., does it have a magazine lock?
    I ordered mine with the magazine disconnect. I treat it though as if it does not have one. As all things mechanical, safeties can fail.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mpguy; 11-16-2013 at 11:22 PM.

+1 I once answered the "how much ammo is enough" question with "one more bullet than I have to shoot".

Not to rekindle the whole "hollow point vs FMJ" debate again, but I stick to 230 grain hardball for my 1911. Besides the fact that I live on a tight budget because of tuition, it was the cartridge the gun was designed for. Haven't yet tried any +P ammo (any thoughts from the 1911 gurus?).
    If I could just get my hands on some USGI mags (you know, the "hardball only" ones designed by John Moses Browning?), I'd be set.

The way I see it, ballistics gel only tells half the story because the media used assumes the bullet only travels through that which is fleshy and excludes BONE; armor is not even mentioned.
    If you shoot, you want to end the threat as soon as possible (less shots that way), and sometimes two holes for every bullet downrange may be desirable: bullet enters BG, bullet loses kinetic energy and causes havoc as it goes through BG, bullet MAY exit BG through a messy hole, bullet no longer carries enough kinetic energy to kill anyone.
    Maybe it's just conjecture and theoretical physics (calling eye95 to let me know if the numbers crunch out?), but I've yet to see a legitimate case of overpenetration from a center-of-mass hit causing the death of a bystander.
    I've considered buying a CZ 75 in 9mm and carrying FMJ for the same reasons (if what I've heard about it penetrating better is true), and an extension of magazine capacity (plus, the platform seems to have been designed for my hand).

Good question though.

Wild animals = more predictable than drugged-up berserkers.

As to the malfunction thing, I carry two spare mags for that very reason, and I try to check my mags for deformation (or any funny business) about every 2-3 months (gun as well).
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 11-17-2013 at 01:06 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post

Wild animals = more predictable than drugged-up berserkers.

Maybe may be not I seen both do some strange things that one would not normally expect from them.

The only thing you can count on is the unexpected.

You can carry FMJs for me a good JHP for defense most of the time. As with many things nothing is 100% perfect.

The bullet that cause gets to the vital organs and causes the most damage to them is the most effective.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I always carry a spare mag but it's more for if the gun jams, then I reload with the full mag and same muscle memory.

Founder's Club Member

How many rounds are needed when carrying?

Hahahahahahaha!!

Its a trick question. False premise. Need doesn't enter into it.

Its the same false premise as the anti-gunner assertion, "You don't need to carry a gun here."

The old saw applies: "If I knew I was going to need a gun, I'd bring a rifle. Then I'd bring all my friends who have rifles." If I knew I was going to need a certain amount of ammo, I either wouldn't go, or I'd bring a rifle--with lots of ammo.
    Last edited by Citizen; 11-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Hahahahahahaha!!

Its a trick question. False premise. Need doesn't enter into it.

Its the same false premise as the anti-gunner assertion, "You don't need to carry a gun here."
    Good point...
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

i carry 14 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, and a second mag. if i cant neutralize a threat in 29 rounds i have no business carrying, consealed or openly...

As has been pointed out, this is a "How long is a piece of string?" question, to which the correct answer is "One more than you needed to stop the threat."

My personal approach is to carry a spare magazine or speed loader. For my usual EDC that means 5+1 plus a 7 round spare. For other occasions, it could mean 15+1 plus a 15 round spare, or even 6 plus 6 in a speed loader. I'm not as hung up on the number as I am concerned about having a spare mag for clearing malfunctions.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I carry a full mag of 13 in the gun. I don't both with the +1, so it's one in the pipe and 12 on deck. I also carry an extra full mag of 13. I load the rounds in both mags so that I start with a JHP and then alternate between FMJ and JHP.

BTW, how do you guys load your +1 round? Do you put your mag in, cycle the slide, release the mag, top off the mag, and then load the mag again? That sounds like such a PITA.

I carry 10+1 in my pistol, and it stays loaded so it's not a PITA to add the +1, I usually do what you said, but if I have the rounds loose, I'll throw one in the chamber and then put a full mag in the gun.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post

BTW, how do you guys load your +1 round? Do you put your mag in, cycle the slide, release the mag, top off the mag, and then load the mag again? That sounds like such a PITA.
    thats how i do it. load mag. chamber a round. release mag. add one more round to it. reholster. takes about 10 seconds. really not as much of a pita as one would imagine

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast