Thread: Ready to go shooting http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.png

Ready to go shooting http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.png

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	10976

Activist Member
    Does that PVC go directly behind the center of the target? If so, it won't last too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    Does that PVC go directly behind the center of the target? If so, it won't last too long.
    Depends on who is shooting.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Depends on who is shooting.
    Ouch.

On topic: Why not spread the PVC farther apart into TWO different buckets to minimize the likelihood of hitting one of the pipes?
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    The pipe is on the outside border of the target area, no glue used just a few screws to keep it from twisting over in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles CZ75B View Post
    The pipe is on the outside border of the target area, no glue used just a few screws to keep it from twisting over in the wind.
    I will post a picture of the back of it .

Name:	DSC01551.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	10980
    I will post a picture of the back of it .

Name:	DSC01551.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	10980
    Using buck shot. Ok just kidding. Like the target idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Using buck shot. Ok just kidding. Like the target idea.
    No buckshot LOL it is 1" schedule 40 PVC the base and target are separate, 1 1/4" PVC in the bucket so it all breaks down if needed.

I had made a few PVC stands years back before I broke down and bought the metal stands that use 1x3 boards. I think your design is optimal for minimizing the chance of hitting the stand itself, but the one reason I disliked PVC is that when that one stray flier does hit, it shatters. My PVC design wasn't good enough to continue once it hit the stand, meaning I was done for the day when idiot friends missed. The 1x3's however will take numerous hits before they break apart, hence my reason for switching.

But with every design I see on the Internet, I end up with the "Why didn't I think of that?!" feeling: In your case, I really like the Homer bucket as a base. I imagine it's filled with sand/dirt to weight it down and hold the target upright? GENIUS!

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    ... I imagine it's filled with sand/dirt to weight it down and hold the target upright? GENIUS!
    And if you have a shovel, they can be empty during storage and transport, assuming you are shooting somewhere near dirt. Brilliant!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123
    ... I imagine it's filled with sand/dirt to weight it down and hold the target upright? GENIUS!
    And if you have a shovel, they can be empty during storage and transport, assuming you are shooting somewhere near dirt. Brilliant!
    And if you have a rake (or old broom), it can be used to carry your spent brass home. INGENIOUS!
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

go steel targets and never look back. They are so much more reactive than punching holes in paper. I have three stands made of 2x4s with a 12" square target about chest height and an 8" round target at head height. Lots of fun.

Lowes:

Name:	721161012663lg.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	10983

About 13 bucks. Lasts 5-10 range sessions. Folds up and fits in back of an SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Lowes:

Name:	721161012663lg.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	10983

About 13 bucks. Lasts 5-10 range sessions. Folds up and fits in back of an SUV.
    Why ya gotta be like that?
    Here is a man (Charles CZ75B [great platform, by the way]) that is exercising the old noodle to be a little bit more self-reliant and inventive, and you come in showing everyone a mass-produced and cheap alternative to DIY stands.

Then again, if it's lighter, it may be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    My PVC design wasn't good enough to continue once it hit the stand, meaning I was done for the day when idiot friends missed. The 1x3's however will take numerous hits before they break apart, hence my reason for switching.

But with every design I see on the Internet, I end up with the "Why didn't I think of that?!" feeling: In your case, I really like the Homer bucket as a base. I imagine it's filled with sand/dirt to weight it down and hold the target upright? GENIUS!
    I take a few of each length for repairs with me when i go and with no glue an easy fix. The bucket is a quarter full with cement and easy to move and the 1 1/4" PVC to hold the target does not move at all, very stable and cheap to maintain. And as a side note my Brother inlaw is the one that likes to shoot PVC !

You can't hold a 12 pack of.....sodas.....with ice in that ladder though.

Check and mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Why ya gotta be like that?
    Here is a man (Charles CZ75B [great platform, by the way]) that is exercising the old noodle to be a little bit more self-reliant and inventive, and you come in showing everyone a mass-produced and cheap alternative to DIY stands.

Then again, if it's lighter, it may be worth it.
    If I had my own range, backyard, on my property, sure, I'd put up PVC type semi-permanent stands. But we use a shooting club, have to load everything in the car, set up, shoot, and pack up. We can do it all in about two hours, including driving time out and back. My gf can set up the targets move them, and grab two of them and toss 'em in the car herself.

So cost, time, weight, replaceability, mobility, storage space, believe me, these are impossible to beat. Buy four of them for about $58, and they last a year of 50 rounds per session, 15-30 shoots per year (more when ammo was cheaper).

I do applaud D-I-Y-S projects, but sometimes you need to grab and go.
    HTH