• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

being able to OC anywhere with a permit

WCEarp

I know that the original bill got attached to a larger 2A bill, but I would like comment on this part of it. There have been a few comments about this bill being a step backwards. I think the below ordinance might explain why such a law is needed.

9.44.010 - Carrying weapons of any kind.

A.
carrying of firearms by any person not a member of the armed forces of the United States, or of the state, county, or city law enforcement bodies, is prohibited unless such person has a special permit to carry such firearms, which permit shall be issued by the city clerk after the application therefor shall have been passed upon by the city council and the permit has been signed by the mayor and city clerk.

B. All persons having a special police permit shall be allowed to carry firearms when they are engaged in their duty of guarding the premises of their employer's place of business, but no person shall carry such firearms when not on his or her employer's property. Such firearms shall be left on the employer's premises when such person finishes work each day.

C. No person shall in the city wear or carry under his or her clothes or conceal upon or about his person a dangerous or deadly weapon of any kind or description, or shall go into any church or place where people have assembled for religious worship, or into any schoolroom or place where people are assembled for educational, political, literary or social purposes, or to any election precinct on any election day, or into any courtroom during the sitting of court, or into any other public assemblage of persons met for any lawful purpose, other than for militia drill, or meetings called under militia law of this state, having upon or about his or her person, concealed or exposed, any kind of firearm, pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, Bowie knife, springback knife, razor, metal knucks, nunchakus, billy club, sword, cane, dirk, dagger, slingshot, B-B gun, pellet gun or other similar deadly weapons, or display in a menacing or threatening manner any simulated or artificial weapon or thing having the appearance of a weapon as described hereinabove.

This ordinance is from North Kansas City. Municode.com has it listed as being updated October 2013. A lot of cities have weapons codes like this one. Codes that are partially or completely voided by MO's CCW laws. By North KC code I am able to carry because of my military status. I'm not about to open carry there. I don't want to have to explain to a cop that their city says nothing about me having to be on duty to carry or that their code is voided by MO law. I am sure that they won't care if I conceal carry on their streets in violation of their code. The media has made sure that it was know to be state preempted, but that leaves OC up for debate. I don't visit there enough to make the time to visit their city council and try to get it changed.

My point to this is that there are a lot of city councils in MO who give no thought to their codes being outdated. If it is pointed out to these councils they sometimes look at their neighboring cities on how to change it. St. Louis county cities seem to do this, as far as I know. With the passage of state preemption for OC with a permit old codes like these will be less of an issue. Also, I feel that once OC falls under state preemption in this form it is a hop skip and a jump to full state firearm preemption with no permit for OC. The bill that the OC wording is attached to isn't perfect but its a step in the right direction. Remember that the anti-gun groups don't argue over the details of every bill. They're just happy to get anything that moves them closer to getting rid of guns completely. We need to be the same way, remember small baby steps is how the anti-gun groups got much of their stuff passed across the nation.

I know that MO legislation usually takes multiple tries to pass and get lumped together with other bills. I was honestly surprised that the first rendition of the 2A preservation act did as well as it did. I still don't like that th OC bill is attached to it, but that's MO politics. I'll support it and talk it up with my reps just like the last one.

Sorry for the long post, I've been gone for a while and wanted to get that off my chest.

OC for ME

If you have a endorsement you may carry concealed anywhere in Missouri. There are exceptions in RSMo 571 that need to be observed. You occupation is irrelevant.

mspgunner

I kmow the OC bill is far from the preemption we'd like, but it took 4 years to get it this far.
I talked to the 'POWERS THAT ARE" that I work with in the legislature about removing some of the "stuff" that is in the OC bill.
They advise "NO", with it's faults the OC bill has been vetted in the house and senate with minimal concerns and will not
pose a hazard to the SAPA. I agree the SAPA poses a threat to the OC bill but that's just where it ended up and I can't change that.

4 years folks, take it if you can get it, this isn't VA. AZ, OK or AK.....

WCEarp

If you have a endorsement you may carry concealed anywhere in Missouri. There are exceptions in RSMo 571 that need to be observed. You occupation is irrelevant.

Oh, I know that a CCW permit allows me CC carry throughout Missouri and that my occupation has nothing to do with it. Reading my post now, I realize that I was probably too tired to post coherently and concisely. My intention was to point out that not only does the OC bill allow permit holders to OC in towns that prohibit OC ,but also allows them to ignore outdated city codes.

I thought, and still do think, that the above example explains part of the problem with there not being full state preemption of firearm laws. If a person or say a LEO wanted to find out if OC was legal in said town, they would be treated with an ambiguous weapons code. Is the whole thing voided by state CCW laws? Would a person still have to get a permit from the city(in that example) to OC? If you still have to get a city permit to OC, is it only for security detail?

The OC bill would prevent permit holders from having to check and occasionally recheck town ordinances. Essentially turning the MO CCW permit into a statewide carry permit(both OC &CC). It's a big step forward for the CCW laws and a smaller step forward for OC rights.