Thread: 2A and NON-Firearms?

2A and NON-Firearms?

Just wondering... is there any precedent that the 2A was used to defend having 'prohibited offense weapons' such as knives, billy clubs, baseball bats, etc?

I'm curious as, I can't quite get my mind around the fact that I can OC a Glock --while, simultaneously, my carry of a Gerber "springloaded" knife is a no-no.

From my Rent-a-cop days, I carried a Glock 17, Asp Baton, Fox Labs OC spray [stated on the can "For Law Enforcement Only"], generic 'snapblade' and a kubaton to boot; If you look at that list (other than the Glock), as a 'normal civilian' with no certifications/permits -- all are "prohibited offense weapons".

So, the guy that has a bat in his car and has to use or present it, against a road rager will likely be questioned as to whether he was en route to a ball game? Then charged with a crime?

I think the Oregon Supreme Court ruled switchblades to be protected arms, but I ca'nt remember if their reasoning was the second amendment or independent grounds of the state constitution.

either way, the ruling doesn't mean much outside of Oregon...
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    Just wondering... is there any precedent that the 2A was used to defend having 'prohibited offense weapons' such as knives, billy clubs, baseball bats, etc?

I'm curious as, I can't quite get my mind around the fact that I can OC a Glock --while, simultaneously, my carry of a Gerber "springloaded" knife is a no-no.

From my Rent-a-cop days, I carried a Glock 17, Asp Baton, Fox Labs OC spray [stated on the can "For Law Enforcement Only"], generic 'snapblade' and a kubaton to boot; If you look at that list (other than the Glock), as a 'normal civilian' with no certifications/permits -- all are "prohibited offense weapons".

So, the guy that has a bat in his car and has to use or present it, against a road rager will likely be questioned as to whether he was en route to a ball game? Then charged with a crime?
    You should read the 1939 case US v. Miller

The Second Amendment says "arms" and we argue that it enumerates the right to life from natural rights. The states screw things up. My state goes so far as to except "switchblades" from the deadly weapons authorized by our Concealed Weapons License. Worse, it defines "switchblade" in such a way as to arguably include my CRKT.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Many days later, I was really hoping that "The Law Library" would have something and... not really.

To me, "arms" are arms and I see no need to differentiate guns/knives --more so that, if you concede to a background check, to lawfully carry a FIREARM-- How could a spring blade, nay, BATTLE-AXE on your person be a crime?

Now, you're gonna ask, "Why not an RPG or NUKE?!" and to that I'll say:

I was just asking about knives.

That said, if you studied the "Wild West", where guns were plenty, It wasn't all that wild because the truth is akin to arguing on the internet and meeting in person: people are essentially good and yet, nothing ends an argument before it goes overboard like both sides wanting to live.

What if they're crazy?

That's why we bear arms. :/

Banned
    Read US v. Miller 1939 for some idea...

Knives and the Second Amendment, by Dave Kopel 23 November 2013

Many days later, I was really hoping that "The Law Library" would have something and... not really/
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...cond-Amendment

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/at...0&d=1385343140
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Most states it is legal to OC a knife, but concealing knifes is not the same. Pocket knifes are allowed to be concealed in many states as long as they meet the states rules/laws/rulings. Here in NC I can OC any knife I wish, billy club, sword but if I wish to conceal a knife it must be a folding knife designed to be carried in the pocket.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I thank you all for the input!

Has anything been tested in court? A precedent?

In Illinois virtually anything that could even possibly be used in self defense is prolly not only illegal but a felony to possess.

Gort. Klaatu barada nikto.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt555gs View Post
    In Illinois virtually anything that could even possibly be used in self defense is prolly not only illegal but a felony to possess.
    I'm guessing that your crime rate is quite low there?

Quote Originally Posted by kurt555gs View Post

Gort. Klaatu barada nikto.
    Things may have changed since I worked in Il, but as long as the knife was not concealed it was legal. It was common in rural towns and cities to see residents carrying fixed blade hunting knives on the belt, or folding buck knives on a case on the belt.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Most states it is legal to OC a knife, but concealing knifes is not the same. Pocket knifes are allowed to be concealed in many states as long as they meet the states rules/laws/rulings. Here in NC I can OC any knife I wish, billy club, sword but if I wish to conceal a knife it must be a folding knife designed to be carried in the pocket.
    When I was at Fort Bragg ('07-'10), being a soldier, I didn't have the "luxury" of a firearm on post which meant that when I ventured out into in Fayettenam, I was always in peril because it seemed like every damn thing was illegal.

PS: I lived.

When I was at Fort Bragg ('07-'10), being a soldier, I didn't have the "luxury" of a firearm on post which meant that when I ventured out into in Fayettenam, I was always in peril because it seemed like every damn thing was illegal.

PS: I lived.
    Open carry of a firearm or a knife or both is legal in NC, once you are off base. Has been for about a hundred years. Kerner V State.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Open carry of a firearm or a knife or both is legal in NC, once you are off base. Has been for about a hundred years. Kerner V State.
    Well, since I lived in the barracks, under military control, just owning a gun was a PITA as --you had to draw it from the Arms Room (and I was the Armorer ) so...

I did however, see at least one person OC at Walmart in NC and yet, in NV, outside of an event... just me.

Weird.

Well, since I lived in the barracks, under military control, just owning a gun was a PITA as --you had to draw it from the Arms Room (and I was the Armorer ) so...

I did however, see at least one person OC at Walmart in NC and yet, in NV, outside of an event... just me.

Weird.
    Maybe some current Ft Bragg members can clear up whether OC of knife on base is a no no. Didn't the army issue you a survival knife?
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 11-26-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I pocket carry a Kershaw, and belt carry either a Buck or military survival knife on and off Ft. Bragg. Entirely legal. Uniformed soldiers also pocket and belt carry.
    Even my contractor employer doesn't say anything about it.