Thread: Mansfield Gun Theft

Mansfield Gun Theft

http://www.wfsb.com/story/23994228/g...-middle-school

Kinda irresponsible to leave a gun in an unlocked car.

Quote Originally Posted by CT Barfly View Post

Why? I guess folks should drive around in armored cars with armed guards to protect themselves from bring called irresponsible?

Banned

http://www.wfsb.com/story/23888901/h...-on-craigslist

See this other story -- lady selling kids on craigslist ... linked on the link ...

Property is stolen .. happens every day. How do they know it was left unlocked? Its easy to unlock a car.

How about having firearms on school property

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Why? I guess folks should drive around in armored cars with armed guards to protect themselves from bring called irresponsible?
    How about having a firearm on school property? BTW it is a middle school and it is school property even if it is after hours. A school is a school is a school along with its property 24/7
    "It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice"
    Member: NRA - Life, CCDL,
    CT, MA, UT, FLA Pistol Permit Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor - Professional Safety Training

I think leaving a gun in an unlocked car is pretty irresponsible...personal opinion.

Bringing a gun onto school property...well...that is plain old illegal. I'm just not sure whether the guy could be charged with that since, well, there's no gun...only the report of a gun theft. Maybe the gun was stolen out of the car before he got to the school and he only NOTICED it was missing while at the school?

I would imagine that this guy's police chief would move to revoke the permit...unless of course this guy is LEO...which would explain the failure to charge and failure to name the gun owner publicly.

It isn't illegal for a LEO to carry on school property.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Quote Originally Posted by dmjs View Post
    How about having a firearm on school property? BTW it is a middle school and it is school property even if it is after hours. A school is a school is a school along with its property 24/7
    Stating that it's irresponsible for folks to expect others to not be criminals is.....irresponsible!

How about having a firearm on school property?
    What about it? There is a least one firearm on school property when I pick up my grand kids from school. Is that irresponsible?

Is it illegal to have a firearm in a car on school property in the locality that this occurred? If so why? What compelling government interest is served by making possession of a firearm on school property illegal?

Is the public somehow more at risk when a firearm is on one side of an arbitrary line?

Stating that it's irresponsible for folks to expect others to not be criminals is.....irresponsible!

What about it? There is a least one firearm on school property when I pick up my grand kids from school. Is that irresponsible?

Is it illegal to have a firearm in a car on school property in the locality that this occurred? If so why? What compelling government interest is served by making possession of a firearm on school property illegal?

Is the public somehow more at risk when a firearm is on one side of an arbitrary line?
    To AID someone else in being a criminal is irresponsible. Meaning, if you were to leave a gun on the seat with the windows rolled down doors unlocked, and someone took it.... that'd be AT LEAST irresponsible. It's not expecting them not to be criminals that's irresponsible, it's not realizing that there ARE criminals that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    To AID someone else in being a criminal is irresponsible.
    That doesn't mean what you think it means.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    It isn't illegal for a LEO to carry on school property.
    still not enough info to reach any conclusions...so we're in speculation land.

i would guess that the person reporting this theft is not prohibited from having a gun on school property and possibly that the gun was a long gun (or else he'd have had it on his person).

still not enough info to reach any conclusions...so we're in speculation land.

i would guess that the person reporting this theft is not prohibited from having a gun on school property and possibly that the gun was a long gun (or else he'd have had it on his person).
    You often play basketball with a handgun on your hip?

You often play basketball with a handgun on your hip?
    you'd be amazed how quickly defenders clear the lane....
    Last edited by CT Barfly; 11-19-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Banned
    you'd be amazed how quickly defenders clear the lane....
    I need even more help than that .. getting old ....

Given that this is getting very speculative, I'm leaning towards it being a LEO vehicle myself. Perhaps an unmarked State car. Maybe someone recognized the car/theft opportunity, tried the door and swiped the shotgun from the trunk. It's probably not as rare a happening as you might think. I've seen unmanned cruisers running outside of stores before. A thief doesn't need much motivation when it's presented on a silver platter.