• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mansfield Gun Theft

davidmcbeth

Banned

dmjs

How about having firearms on school property

Why? I guess folks should drive around in armored cars with armed guards to protect themselves from bring called irresponsible?

How about having a firearm on school property? BTW it is a middle school and it is school property even if it is after hours. A school is a school is a school along with its property 24/7

CT Barfly

I think leaving a gun in an unlocked car is pretty irresponsible...personal opinion.

Bringing a gun onto school property...well...that is plain old illegal. I'm just not sure whether the guy could be charged with that since, well, there's no gun...only the report of a gun theft. Maybe the gun was stolen out of the car before he got to the school and he only NOTICED it was missing while at the school?

I would imagine that this guy's police chief would move to revoke the permit...unless of course this guy is LEO...which would explain the failure to charge and failure to name the gun owner publicly.

notalawyer

How about having a firearm on school property? BTW it is a middle school and it is school property even if it is after hours. A school is a school is a school along with its property 24/7

Stating that it's irresponsible for folks to expect others to not be criminals is.....irresponsible!:D

How about having a firearm on school property?
What about it? There is a least one firearm on school property when I pick up my grand kids from school. Is that irresponsible?

Is it illegal to have a firearm in a car on school property in the locality that this occurred? If so why? What compelling government interest is served by making possession of a firearm on school property illegal?

Is the public somehow more at risk when a firearm is on one side of an arbitrary line?

Primus

Stating that it's irresponsible for folks to expect others to not be criminals is.....irresponsible!:D

What about it? There is a least one firearm on school property when I pick up my grand kids from school. Is that irresponsible?

Is it illegal to have a firearm in a car on school property in the locality that this occurred? If so why? What compelling government interest is served by making possession of a firearm on school property illegal?

Is the public somehow more at risk when a firearm is on one side of an arbitrary line?

To AID someone else in being a criminal is irresponsible. Meaning, if you were to leave a gun on the seat with the windows rolled down doors unlocked, and someone took it.... that'd be AT LEAST irresponsible. It's not expecting them not to be criminals that's irresponsible, it's not realizing that there ARE criminals that is.

CT Barfly

It isn't illegal for a LEO to carry on school property.

still not enough info to reach any conclusions...so we're in speculation land.

i would guess that the person reporting this theft is not prohibited from having a gun on school property and possibly that the gun was a long gun (or else he'd have had it on his person).

notalawyer

still not enough info to reach any conclusions...so we're in speculation land.

i would guess that the person reporting this theft is not prohibited from having a gun on school property and possibly that the gun was a long gun (or else he'd have had it on his person).

You often play basketball with a handgun on your hip?

AGust82

Given that this is getting very speculative, I'm leaning towards it being a LEO vehicle myself. Perhaps an unmarked State car. Maybe someone recognized the car/theft opportunity, tried the door and swiped the shotgun from the trunk. It's probably not as rare a happening as you might think. I've seen unmanned cruisers running outside of stores before. A thief doesn't need much motivation when it's presented on a silver platter.