• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how practical are ankle holsters for self defense ?

Brace

Better than nothing, depends on your situation I imagine. Maybe you work in an office all day sitting in front of a monitor? In that case you're already sitting down and should be able to get to your gun fairly quickly. You can also train to couple your draw coupled with a push kick against your assailant but that's just dumb.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
From a seated position, they aren't too bad.

Remember that the best self-defense is to be somewhere else. That includes running away from a threat. But this doesn't always work. It's nice to put Plan B in your hands while you are running. You can't draw from an ankle holster while running. Try it. Make sure to film it for our amusement.

Same thing with a boot clip gun.

But don't forget about the option for one. I carry in a boot often. Sometimes, it's what you have available. If you are concealing, and going to be around people who hug, it's a great option to avoid the "What is that?" question.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Good point. Indeed, I don't find them concealable enough, even with slacks that cover them sufficiently while standing. Clipped into a cowboy boot is the only time I wear in that position.

Gil223

on a scale of 1-10 ?
I'd give ankle holsters a 5... and then only for carrying a backup gun. They can be somewhat awkward to get to (in order to be [easily?] accessed, they have a tendency to dictate how you dress from the waist down - although this is not a consideration if your everyday wear includes a kilt), the effectiveness of an ankle holster can be reduced by body type (really large calfs, swollen legs, pants with small cuff diameters, etc), and the gun you expect to place in the holster (your .50 Desert Eagle, UZI or MAC11-9 won't fit comfortably, but some of the smaller .380s, .38 "Airweight" and smaller calibers would work for "most people" who were interested in the ankle holster. And, IMHO, NEVER, EVER, EVER choose an ankle holster as the retention system for your primary EDC. They should be looked upon as a secondary defense holster. Just my 2¢. Pax...

Primus

I'd give ankle holsters a 5... and then only for carrying a backup gun. They can be somewhat awkward to get to (in order to be [easily?] accessed, they have a tendency to dictate how you dress from the waist down - although this is not a consideration if your everyday wear includes a kilt), the effectiveness of an ankle holster can be reduced by body type (really large calfs, swollen legs, pants with small cuff diameters, etc), and the gun you expect to place in the holster (your .50 Desert Eagle, UZI or MAC11-9 won't fit comfortably, but some of the smaller .380s, .38 "Airweight" and smaller calibers would work for "most people" who were interested in the ankle holster. And, IMHO, NEVER, EVER, EVER choose an ankle holster as the retention system for your primary EDC. They should be looked upon as a secondary defense holster. Just my 2¢. Pax...

I don't know what your talking about. I carry a Glock 37 with drim mag on left leg and a a tommy gun on my right leg. As far as clothes, who needs them? When your wearing that kind of hardware whos going to approach you? And that is just my Monday night dress. You should see me on a Friday night.... :lol:

MyWifeSaidYes

I have often stated that I would love to have an AK-47 style pistol, but only if I can find an ankle holster for it. :rolleyes:

If you want to carry a gun on your ankle, I would rate them a "10"

If you do not want to carry a gun on your ankle, I would rate them a "1"

Ankle holsters are simply an option. I can't really "rate" them unless I'm comparing one model to another. And even then, it depends on the size and weight of the gun you carry.

Firearms Iinstuctor

If they are the only way better then nothing.

I rate them a 1 for many reasons.

If out side gun can very be expose to all kinds of nasty things. Ever try running with one not a good thing (saw a nice model 36 go sliding) Unless they fit really well tend to rub ones legs.

Not all the concealable unless one has very loose pant legs even then they print a lot when sitting pant legs tend to slide up also.

Buy one and use it if you want.

WalkingWolf

I learned my lesson with a pig sticker years ago. After wrangling with a suspect I could not find my knife, fortunately it was picked up by another trooper.

I rate ankle holsters a negative 10.