Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Advise and help?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Liberty
    Posts
    60

    Advise and help?

    So my wonderful wife is getting interested in guns and has been thinking about a gun for OC. She has been shooting for a bit any loves my .22 and .44 rifles but is newer to hand guns We went to a couple of shops and let her handle a few to see what she liked (can't find a rental range to shoot some). She had her mind set on a j-frame, not my first choice for a first gun, but ok I can work with her. Don't get me wrong, love a snubbie but a little harder to shoot accurately for a first timer, but practice,practice,practice. Now we hit another shop and, wait for it, the person behind the counter in a moment of poor judgement decides a first time woman shooter with smallish hands should like this and hands her a .38 cal cobra derringer with pretty pink grips and pink holster. Her eyes lit up, kool aid smile and the this is the one honey. Every time I try to explain the down side she looks like she's gonna cry. Any advise on a good way to change a mind without a fight or tears. I'm proud she wants to start shooting and carrying and I don't want to discourage her from it but I am concerned that a little hand cannon with a 30lb trigger pull and no accuracy, not to mention the other things wrong with it for OC or CC as a primary, will do it for me. So, if anyone else has had to talk a loved one off the ledge I would greatly appreciate some ideas. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by rs3604 View Post
    So my wonderful wife is getting interested in guns and has been thinking about a gun for OC. She has been shooting for a bit any loves my .22 and .44 rifles but is newer to hand guns We went to a couple of shops and let her handle a few to see what she liked (can't find a rental range to shoot some). She had her mind set on a j-frame, not my first choice for a first gun, but ok I can work with her. Don't get me wrong, love a snubbie but a little harder to shoot accurately for a first timer, but practice,practice,practice. Now we hit another shop and, wait for it, the person behind the counter in a moment of poor judgement decides a first time woman shooter with smallish hands should like this and hands her a .38 cal cobra derringer with pretty pink grips and pink holster. Her eyes lit up, kool aid smile and the this is the one honey. Every time I try to explain the down side she looks like she's gonna cry. Any advise on a good way to change a mind without a fight or tears. I'm proud she wants to start shooting and carrying and I don't want to discourage her from it but I am concerned that a little hand cannon with a 30lb trigger pull and no accuracy, not to mention the other things wrong with it for OC or CC as a primary, will do it for me. So, if anyone else has had to talk a loved one off the ledge I would greatly appreciate some ideas. Thank you.
    My advice would be to find someone that owns some of the guns she liked (ESPECIALLY that "cute little derringer") to shoot them. If that isn't possible, show her some YouTube videos of GIRLS shooting the guns (I've heard great things about the Range Time with Cory & Erika videos; the channel belongs to cory07ink).
    Also, MAKE SURE you show her a video of a girl whose bf or husband decided to be an a$$ and give her a gun with high recoil (like a Derringer) to shoot for her first range day. DON'T scare her with any other videos; you only want her to see the recoil of that "cute little Derringer".
    If she still has her heart set on that "cute little Derringer", you may need to buy it so she can learn firsthand that "cute little gun" does not necessarily equal "good self-defense gun".
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  3. #3
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    I would ALWAYS suggest a semi-auto for someone's first firearm. People think that they are soo difficult to use and complicated but they are actually very simple and can be very reliable.

    I would only suggest a revolver for "bearcat" cartridges and other specialized roles.

    I have had women look at the Walther PK380, the Sig 238/938 and the Berretta PX4 favorably, maybe show her some of these.

    If you can, persuade her to get a 9mm over most other rounds, practice is key and they are still one of the least expensive cartridges.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Liberty
    Posts
    60
    Rusty, thanks never occurred to me to try YouTube. 09j, my same thought, not my first choose for a first time gun would rather see her with a semi as well, but at this point if she would just get back to the revolver we can work with that.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by rs3604 View Post
    Rusty, thanks never occurred to me to try YouTube. 09j, my same thought, not my first choose for a first time gun would rather see her with a semi as well, but at this point if she would just get back to the revolver we can work with that.
    Glad it helped.
    Don't discount the CZ 75B. My mother (and I) loved the gun: perfect ergonomics and its all-steel construction made recoil nearly non-existent, even in her hands (it was her first time shooting). We tried the 9mm.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I suggest you let her get what will get her excited about carry .. even if its a crap gun at first.

    You can buy another one later.


    Her 2nd gun, in the future?

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...f/S%26W500.jpg

    The ol' S&W 500 .... maybe

  7. #7
    Regular Member MyWifeSaidYes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Logan, OH
    Posts
    1,028
    First, there is nothing wrong with a revolver other than capacity, IMHO.

    Second, how accurate does a gun need to be at self-defense distances?

    They are actually pretty accurate. See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk

    Third, she likes it.

    My advice would be to go with what makes her happy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

    Recoil.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    First, there is nothing wrong with a revolver other than capacity, IMHO.

    Second, how accurate does a gun need to be at self-defense distances?

    They are actually pretty accurate. See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk

    Third, she likes it.

    My advice would be to go with what makes her happy.
    This ^, in spades.

    Besides, if she finds that the derringer is not to her liking you will have a permanent, built-in comeback to her whenever she starts asking you why you want another gun. "Because I want it" takes on a whole new meaning.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Liberty
    Posts
    60
    David, I thought about that and was concerned that it might put her off all together. As for the 500 well, if she don't like it then I guess I'll have a new deer gun. Mywifesaidyes, I love revolvers and plan on getting a few. Just a little concerned about the accuracy but, practice,practice,practice like I said in my op. Skidmark, never thought of the come back, good looking out . Rusty, I would love to get her into a cz.

  10. #10
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    The Walther PK380 is a great gun for the first-time female or male shooter that's just getting started. My best friend's first gun was the PK380 ( I didn't recommend it though) and he liked it quite well until it came time to break it down to clean internally. It was then that his mind changed and he learned why I didn't recommend this particular gun to him in the first place. Don't get me wrong, it really is a great gun, small but not too small, great grip and good feel but alas, it is a poly gun and to field strip it, you MUST have this inane hard plastic key thing to take it apart, BIG NO-NO in my book.

    But he finally learned his lesson about not listening to advise given and decided to trade it off for a guitar and so about a month ago, as he was taking classes that would lead him to a career that would take him away from this area, he decided once again that he needed a suitable sidearm but this time he heeded my advise and went with a 9mm that was larger and with a bit more heft to it though it is still a poly gun, it is a nice and reasonably priced new gun from a Turkish military contractor (I had no input on that side of it though. *LOL).

    So, you could use this as an example of people not listening and learning a lesson the hard way.

    P.S. If you're near or going to be in the Lexington area, check out Bud's, they have a great rental and range.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nothern KY
    Posts
    201
    I will throw out the Kahr pm9/cm9 as a contender. I kept trying to steer my wife toward it but she fell in love with the looks of the sig p290. After shooting her sister's Kahr she decided she likes it a LOT better than her sig. BUT, like everyone is saying, you should let her make her mistakes if she cannot be talked out of them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •