• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sen. Creigh Deeds stabbed, son shot

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sen. Creigh Deeds, D-Bath, is in critical condition after being stabbed in his home and his son Gus is dead from a gunshot wound, law enforcement sources told the Richmond Times-Dispatch this morning.
Deeds is being treated at the University of Virginia Medical Center.
Authorities said they are trying to determine the sequence of events at the Deeds home in Bath County early today.

Further details were not immediately available.

HPmatt

Bath County Courthouse.jpg

Here's an update - kid has a psych evaluation in Bath County Hospital on Monday - I've been through Bath county many times and have never noticed a medical facility - probably conducted by a high school teacher with a psych book at the back of the IGA store. Of course there are no psych beds in Western VA - no one 'that matters' lives in beautiful flyover country. So sorry for the family & the mentally tormented son. Prayers with them and his family. Would suppose that the son was depressed over not being able to get things together.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/s...cle_431e61ca-5128-11e3-944a-001a4bcf6878.html

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sen. Creigh Deeds was stabbed multiple times early today at his Bath County home and his son, Gus, is dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. Gus Deeds had been released Monday following a mental health evaluation performed under an emergency custody order, an official said.

I had to read the article twice ... not very well written IMO.

Crazy kid, crazy dad. Crazy kid stabs crazy dad. Crazy kid shoots and kills self.
Why did crazy kid not shoot crazy dad? Who knows - he was crazy.

Crazy kid was 24 yrs old. Good hospital he went to --- maybe obamacare made him get cut loose too soon...

I had nothing to do with the incident(s)....

"I urge all Virginians today to join me in praying for a full and complete recovery for Creigh and for many more years of his public service to the Commonwealth. At this moment, our state unites in prayer for Creigh Deeds and his family. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/19/creigh-deeds-stabbed_n_4302273.html

Pray for a full recovery? Hey, lets not get crazy. He's still a demorat.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sen. Creigh Deeds was stabbed multiple times early today at his Bath County home and his son, Gus, is dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. Gus Deeds had been released Monday following a mental health evaluation performed under an emergency custody order, an official said.

I had to read the article twice ... not very well written IMO.

Crazy kid, crazy dad. Crazy kid stabs crazy dad. Crazy kid shoots and kills self.
Why did crazy kid not shoot crazy dad? Who knows - he was crazy.

Crazy kid was 24 yrs old. Good hospital he went to --- maybe obamacare made him get cut loose too soon...

I had nothing to do with the incident(s)....

"I urge all Virginians today to join me in praying for a full and complete recovery for Creigh and for many more years of his public service to the Commonwealth. At this moment, our state unites in prayer for Creigh Deeds and his family. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/19/creigh-deeds-stabbed_n_4302273.html

Pray for a full recovery? Hey, lets not get crazy. He's still a demorat.

I find your comment above repugnant. I quoted it to show others how not to reply.

I wish no man ill will, especially under the circumstances as depicted on the news. This is a day that no member of his family will ever forget. It is said that Sen. Deeds loved his son very much. By any account it is a tragedy.

To paraphrase Thumper from Bambi, "If you can't say sumthin nice, put a sock in it."

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Been keeping the senator in my prayers. There's been a lot to keep up with today 'round here with this and the student getting shot by police at a Liberty University dorm.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

I find your comment above repugnant. I quoted it to show others how not to reply.

I wish no man ill will, especially under the circumstances as depicted on the news. This is a day that no member of his family will ever forget. It is said that Sen. Deeds loved his son very much. By any account it is a tragedy.

To paraphrase Thumper from Bambi, "If you can't say sumthin nice, put a sock in it."

Thank you for putting it better than I would have. I had to take a few minutes after reading that trash to cool off before posting. Still not sure I'd have been able to stay within forum rules. :mad::cuss:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My first reaction in a situation like this is to worry about how it can be used by the anti's and I have to admit to privately expressing some relief that there was not a third person involved.

That said, regardless of my opinion of the Senator's political views, I can only see him as a man struggling with death and knowing the pain of losing a son if he lives.
I used to wonder if you (David) are really as childish as you appear to be, I just don't care anymore though.

Grapeshot said:

Which is exactly why he's a far better man than many of us!

taurusfan

"I urge all Virginians today to join me in praying for a full and complete recovery for Creigh and for many more years of his public service to the Commonwealth. At this moment, our state unites in prayer for Creigh Deeds and his family."

Joined.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As has been noted, Gus had a psych eval and was supposed to be held for 72 hours. The assertion that there was "no bed available" is utter BS. The Sheriff could transport him to the nearest hospital with a bed in a secure ward, or if needed all the way to Western State Hospital in Staunton for the hold/eval.

This tragedy points out two things - the need for more stringent knife laws, icluding background checks, and the failure of the mental health sysyem. The only connection between guns and this tragedy is that Gus used one to (apparently) kill himself.

If a family member is disturbed enough to need an involuntary psych eval they are not stable/safe enough to bring back to a home where they can get access to knives, hammers, dental floss, or anything else that could be used to harm themself or anybody else. Allowing them to return home to wait for a bed to become available is not good for them or anybody else.

stay safe.

Primus

As has been noted, Gus had a psych eval and was supposed to be held for 72 hours. The assertion that there was "no bed available" is utter BS. The Sheriff could transport him to the nearest hospital with a bed in a secure ward, or if needed all the way to Western State Hospital in Staunton for the hold/eval.

This tragedy points out two things - the need for more stringent knife laws, icluding background checks, and the failure of the mental health sysyem. The only connection between guns and this tragedy is that Gus used one to (apparently) kill himself.

If a family member is disturbed enough to need an involuntary psych eval they are not stable/safe enough to bring back to a home where they can get access to knives, hammers, dental floss, or anything else that could be used to harm themself or anybody else. Allowing them to return home to wait for a bed to become available is not good for them or anybody else.

stay safe.

Not vouching for anyone or anything because I wasn't there, but I have to disagree on it being that easy to just "transport". I'm pretty familiar with the process, I was a security officer with a local large hospital for a few years (go ahead chuckle) and had to deal with mentally unstable people ALOT. In our ER it was a constant occurance. Patient gets sectioned (legal jargon for being forced to get help) they come to hospital. Counselor sees them, they swear they aren't crazy or they even admit to being crazy. Counselor makes some phone calls about a bed, meaning treatment centers. This is based on a few variables to include health insurance (beds aren't free). If there aren't any beds they either let you go home with FAMILY or keep you in hospital. The problem is if a guy says hes stable, the family takes him home, and then he snaps you get this.

I'm familiar with it on this end because now I'm one of the guys who has to go to your house when you (anyone) is freaking out apeshit with the knife. We then grab you and force you in the ambulance so you don't stab anyone else. If there are no beds they can and do release you, sometimes. Flip side.... if the hospital holds you waiting for a bed you are taking up valuable safe for the other sick people and you scream (I would) that they are holding you against your free will.

Moral of the story... mental health is NEVER simple and a convoluted process at best. My heart goes out to the family I wish them the best.

JohnM15A

stay safe.

Bingo! Unfortunately this fathers love for his son is probably what affected his better judgement.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not vouching for anyone or anything because I wasn't there......--snipped--

Moral of the story... mental health is NEVER simple and a convoluted process at best. My heart goes out to the family I wish them the best.

But if your background/experience wasn't in Virginia, then it isn't relevant.

Skidmark's comments come from an in depth knowledge of working with these specific issues in Virginia.

Bottom line IMO is that the system failed........again.

Primus

But if your background/experience wasn't in Virginia, then it isn't relevant.

Skidmark's comments come from an in depth knowledge of working with these specific issues in Virginia.

Bottom line IMO is that the system failed........again.

Sir, pretty sure that the mental health issues we are talking about are Nation wide. In fact, he made a blanket statement saying that if you have mental health problems you shouldn't be released to place that has "floss, knives, etc. etc.". I wasn't under the impression that he was specifically speaking for Virginia's mentally ill or Virginia's mental health problem. Also, I was under the impression that this was in the light of the OC/gun rights and mental health issues as several guys have made comments about the connection.

If I'm wrong and this was specifically about Virginia's mentally ill and their specific mental health care (it sounds the same as our process) then I apologize for butting in.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sir, pretty sure that the mental health issues we are talking about are Nation wide. In fact, he made a blanket statement saying that if you have mental health problems you shouldn't be released to place that has "floss, knives, etc. etc.". I wasn't under the impression that he was specifically speaking for Virginia's mentally ill or Virginia's mental health problem. Also, I was under the impression that this was in the light of the OC/gun rights and mental health issues as several guys have made comments about the connection.

If I'm wrong and this was specifically about Virginia's mentally ill and their specific mental health care (it sounds the same as our process) then I apologize for butting in.
This is not a general mental heath issue thread. Nation wide issues have no place here and are off topic.

This thread is about a member of the Virginia General Assembly (Sen. Deeds), his family, and events affected by Virginia's mental health system that transpired in the last few days.

va_tazdad

Men of class.

My first reaction in a situation like this is to worry about how it can be used by the anti's and I have to admit to privately expressing some relief that there was not a third person involved.

That said, regardless of my opinion of the Senator's political views, I can only see him as a man struggling with death and knowing the pain of losing a son if he lives.
I used to wonder if you (David) are really as childish as you appear to be, I just don't care anymore though.

Grapeshot said:

Which is exactly why he's a far better man than many of us!

Childish? Far nicer than I would have put it.

You and Grapeshot have far more tolerance than I of his kind.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ever consider that the Sen. shot his kid but would not want to admit to that?

Oh, the antis would not like that outcome .. a citizen defending himself ...

But that scenario makes more sense to me.

Primus

Ever consider that the Sen. shot his kid but would not want to admit to that?

Oh, the antis would not like that outcome .. a citizen defending himself ...

But that scenario makes more sense to me.

So your implying it's a cover up? By who? "antis"? Which ones?