• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Political Correctness and Darwin

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I get it. We project our desire of what it should be based on what we know to be fact. I was not there, obviously, and don't care. My clinging to my religion does not preclude me from accepting the facts of nature presented to me, right before my very own eyes.

You, I think, and others choose to be open minded, or deny. I choose to simplify and give credit.....or blame, to God. He did it and not one person in my lifetime will change my mind.....except God himself. If he wants to change my mind, my belief, he will let me know and I will change. No big deal.

It is exceedingly hi-larry-ious that this topic gets so many folks all in a tizzy. You'd think that my belief was akin to slapping their mama in the face. I suspect that their disdain for God and those who believe in God derives from some small insecurity that requires a unambiguous answer to every question. Sorry to let you folks down, but some things require a little faith until God reveals the answer.

So you accept evolution?

And if so are you a Christian?

jhfc

Christian, Jews and Muslims all believe in the same Abrahamic god. Being one or the other is mostly a matter of geography and where you were raised.

True to an extent, however various groups assign mutually exclusive properties to their beliefs - triune god or not, Jesus divine or not, Mohamed the last prophet or not and so on. So while there is a large amount of commonality, there are also radically divergent beliefs.

I would go a bit further and say one's choice of any religion is largely an accident of geography and the indigenous culture. Not many Hindus outside of India for example and yet close to a billion people think it has the "ring of truth".

Last edited:

77zach

Nothing in history has been as successful in producing tangible, independently verifiable results. The evidence is there for anyone to examine and with sufficient education, understand it and replicate the results.

I would agree with this and is why I started the thread.

I find it odd that humans would invent the God of the Bible. In fact, it's different from all religions in that it proclaims a salvation by grace. All other systems require works to appease God or to get in touch with him.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I would go a bit further and say one's choice of any religion is largely an accident of geography and the indigenous culture. Not many Hindus outside of India for example and yet close to a billion people think it has the "ring of truth".

I would rephrase it as "most commonly a product of", but, yes, you're absolutely correct.

This precise observation is the reason I abandoned religion many years before I eschewed faith itself in favor of skepticism (I was raised Presbyterian).

It's a tad arrogant to believe that one – belonging to a minority, no less – is so inherently worthy (i.e. valuable) compared to the rest of earth's billions as to be by pure happenstance the (comparatively) exclusive benefactor of God's grace and salvation. Upon having this thought, I immediately concluded (and still maintain) that God, if he exists, cannot reasonably be expected to care what your religion is, beyond how you act on earth and – possibly – whether you believe in him.

Last edited:

OC for ME

So you accept evolution?

And if so are you a Christian?
What does my faith have to do with science? You present a false choice. God created all that there is and that includes evolution. Your zeal to denigrate religion and subsequently a citizen's faith is noted.

fini

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
What does my faith have to do with science? You present a false choice. God created all that there is and that includes evolution. Your zeal to denigrate religion and subsequently a citizen's faith is noted.

fini

I was wondering as to the object of that question.

Belief in God is certainly not mutually exclusive with belief in evolution ("intraspecial", "extraspecial" [sic], or for that matter cosmological). If God can create a universe, why can he not design such processes?

They may tend to oppose each other in some individuals, but many intelligent folks have reconciled the two. (Of course, holding both views probably means accepting Biblical fallibility, but such is life.)

Last edited:

77zach

I was wondering as to the object of that question.

Belief in God is certainly not mutually exclusive with belief in evolution ("intraspecial", "extraspecial" [sic], or for that matter cosmological). If God can create a universe, why can he not design such processes?

They may tend to oppose each other in some individuals, but many intelligent folks have reconciled the two. (Of course, holding both views probably means accepting Biblical fallibility, but such is life.)

I do agree that in order for evolution ( birds to dinosaur kind of evolution) to occur God would have to do it supernaturally. The thermodynamics and mathematics involved make it necessary.

eye95

fini

Some insist on trying to use science to destroy faith. They are the true shallow-minded. Both can coexist perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I do agree that in order for evolution ( birds to dinosaur kind of evolution) to occur God would have to do it supernaturally. The thermodynamics and mathematics involved make it necessary.

Your view of God's power is surprisingly limited.

You're asserting that God's power and insight are so limited as to render him unable to design a process which, once set in motion, could spontaneously (naturally) evolve dinosaurs into birds without his further ("supernatural") input.

This is a remarkable assertion.

What do you imagine thermodynamics have to do with it, anyway?

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I imagine that the change in entropy of order from dino to bird DNA is vanishingly small.

There are numerous examples of processes which reduce entropy in a system utilizing energy external to that system. On earth, we have a sun.

Even if the second law of thermodynamics is universally valid (a proposition of which I am not convinced), there is no reason entropy cannot be exchanged by subsystems within that closed system. This is exactly analogous to (and equally misguided as) zero-sum economics. Earth is not a closed system.

Trivial obstacle.

Last edited:

georg jetson

I would agree with this and is why I started the thread.

I find it odd that humans would invent the God of the Bible. In fact, it's different from all religions in that it proclaims a salvation by grace. All other systems require works to appease God or to get in touch with him.

Indeed. It's the only belief system I know of that teaches salvation is free. It's not achieved by good works.

77zach

Your view of God's power is surprisingly limited.

You're asserting that God's power and insight are so limited as to render him unable to design a process which, once set in motion, could spontaneously (naturally) evolve dinosaurs into birds without his further ("supernatural") input.

This is a remarkable assertion.

What do you imagine thermodynamics have to do with it, anyway?

Even God can't do the impossible without changing the rules.

georg jetson

I think it's hard to have a discussion about God/no-God when the term God is ambiguous. I understand that a certain degree of ambiguity is necessary because we're not going to be able to define an infinite being. However, we can attach some ideas to the term "God" that may have us agreeing more than not.

One attribute I give to the term "God" is knowledge and another is eternal.

While the eternal part doesn't take much explaining, lets talk about the knowledge part. Our senses tell us that there are rules of nature. We've discovered order and seeming chaos in these rules. However, in order to explain any particular thing in the natural world, we need to use these rules. I submit that these rules are the "knowledge". Even things that come from random chance still use the rules of probability. There is no way for anything to exist without first having the rules for existence.

Another attribute I give to the term "God" is self awareness. After all, he's all knowledge that exists and we see in reality that knowledge comes from and is contained in vessels that are self aware (ie people).

So... would those that think the big bang happens over and over without beginning or end agree with either of my other two attributes. We already agree on the first and perhaps even on the second. All knowledge is contained in the singularity.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
All knowledge is contained in the singularity.

Absolutely. And this may be "God". I'm 100% with you here, and I could elaborate further in a different vein, were this another discussion.

It doesn't, however, convince me that God is an individuality entity (and therefore capable of possessing will, much less power to act on will), nor that it's responsible for creation.

Last edited:

Venator

fini
I denigrate nothing. It was a question you refused to answer.

My question about Christianity and evolution was a legitimate one. Why, because evolution suggests that there was no Adam and Eve, if so then there was no original sin, therefore no need for a redeemer (Jesus) to save us from that sin, therefore Christianity falls flat. That was the only reason I asked, evolution is at odds with Christianity.

Now if you believe an A god, but not the model of a Christian god, then I agree one can have it both way, EXCEPT that evolution has no need for a creator.

Last edited:

Venator

Some insist on trying to use science to destroy faith. They are the true shallow-minded. Both can coexist perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>
But science and religion are incompatible.

Faith is belief without evidence.
Science is belief with evidence. Or better yet probability/confidence.

Victor stenger wrote this:
"I don't deny that many scientists are also religious, but they have compartmentalized their brains into two sections that don't talk to each other.

Science and religion are fundamentally incompatible because of their unequivocally opposed epistemologies -- the assumptions they make concerning what we can know about the world. Every human alive is aware of a world that seems to exist outside his or her body, the world of sensory experience we call the natural. Science is the systematic study of the observations we make about the natural world with our senses and scientific instruments and the application the knowledge obtained to human activity.

All major religions teach that humans possess an additional "internal" sense that enables us to gain access to a realm that lies beyond the world we see around us -- a divine, transcendent reality we call the supernatural. Religion is a set of practices intended to communicate with the supernatural and apply the insights gained thereby to human needs.

The working hypothesis of science is that empirical data is our only reliable source of knowledge about the world. No doubt science has its limits. But it doesn't follow that religion or any other alternative system of thought automatically provides any insight into what lies beyond those limits.

The scientific community in general believes that science has nothing to say about the supernatural. However, if we truly possess this inner sense and it is telling us about an unobservable reality that matters to us and influences our lives, then we should be able to observe the effects of that reality. So far we see no evidence for and have no reason to rely on this inner sense of the supernatural. If such evidence or reason should show up, however, then scientists will have to consider it."

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

Indeed. It's the only belief system I know of that teaches salvation is free. It's not achieved by good works.

Incorrect.

The belief system does append a price of human sacrifice to offer a PATH to metaphorical salvation by belief in said sacrificed individual.

I'm pretty sure every Christian on the planet has heard, "Jesus paid the price for y/our sins".