• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Then shoot me... If I'm stealing your money by threat of force then shoot me...

77zach

I know I said I'd knock off the government philosophy debate, but this shouldn't be controversial...

I have no problem with a disinterested private entity doing safety ratings, it's been done successfully. take a look at any electric or gas powered household appliance of your choice, the government didn't rate their safety or inspect them, but they are subject to inspections. look for a mark, I almost guarantee on most electronics you'll find a circle with "UL" inside of it, that would be Underwriters Laboratories, ammunition specs and power and pressure levels are published by SAAMI and not a government agency. there's other groups like ANSI (most safety glasses for instance are made to standards published by ANSI for what an acceptable level of eye protection while doing certain tasks is) etc

it need not nessecarily be a public agency, but as long as someone without a direct financial stake in a particular supplier does inspection or accreditation of sorts I'm willing to trust that. I'm even willing to go as far as to say an uninspected product can be available for sale on the condition that inspected products carry a seal or visible logo saying "meets [fill in name of public interest group or inspecting firm here) standards" so you have an informed choice of which one.

I often don't agree with you, but we are in complete agreement here.

sudden valley gunner

If you see a need for something to be done doesn't mean that need needs to be done by the most innefficient means possible and by force and coercion. You see a need set up a business that takes care of that need. Look even EMN mentioned a few.

Government has stunted many safety features of cars, seat belts for instance were not a government invention it was a private invention, yet when they were mandated and the features mandated, the further development in seat belt or similar technology has been stunted.

FDA kills people, ask the 17 year old kid who was dying of cancer, and they wouldn't let him try an experimental drug that could have prolonged his life because he wasn't 18, he didn't live to see his 18th.

Their food inspection is a joke, giving an illusion of safety that isn't there.

Every drug that has been recalled for killing people by the FDA was at one time approved and deemed safe by the FDA.

OC for ME

You may be willing to make that choice but what happens when you feed your kid some formula that has rat guts in and god forbid he or she dies? Do u then just go get money from the company? Would that bring them back? Would the money bring you back if it was you? Money is useless and there's no retribution because the CEO wouldn't go to jail for murder. Some things NEED to be prevented.

You may still disagree but I'm not a farmer so I need my milk from someone else as well as many other products. I am willing to pay the fda to make sure its safe for my son. I'm willing to pay the nhtsa some money to make sure if my truck gets hit it doesn't blow up from a faulty gas tank. And then be like "whoops need to take then to court for 10years and pay thousands to fight the corporation".

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Appeal to emotion.

If it were "allowed" by the feds to "grow" my own milk and to provide my excess home grown milk to my fellow citizens, for a nominal fee, to them for the convenience of they not having to grow their own milk I should be able to do just that. Sadly, that is not the case. The feds will use violent physical force, as a last option, if I do not comply with their mandate. If a citizen gets sick, or even dies, from my product I am then to be held to account. The feds harm more than me when they forcibly stop me from providing milk to my fellow citizens. This scenario is not new nor is it old news.

I know I said I'd knock off the government philosophy debate, but this shouldn't be controversial...

I have no problem with a disinterested private entity doing safety ratings, it's been done successfully. take a look at any electric or gas powered household appliance of your choice, the government didn't rate their safety or inspect them, but they are subject to inspections. look for a mark, I almost guarantee on most electronics you'll find a circle with "UL" inside of it, that would be Underwriters Laboratories, ammunition specs and power and pressure levels are published by SAAMI and not a government agency. there's other groups like ANSI (most safety glasses for instance are made to standards published by ANSI for what an acceptable level of eye protection while doing certain tasks is) etc

it need not necessarily be a public agency, but as long as someone without a direct financial stake in a particular supplier does inspection or accreditation of sorts I'm willing to trust that. I'm even willing to go as far as to say an uninspected product can be available for sale on the condition that inspected products carry a seal or visible logo saying "meets [fill in name of public interest group or inspecting firm here) standards" so you have an informed choice of which one.
No, the government did not rate their safety, but they mandate that safety ratings be established. Then they "approve or disapprove" the ratings. There have been legal actions brought by the feds against companies because the feds did not believe that a product met a certain safety standard. Buckey Balls is a good example.

But then the complaints started coming in. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warned that small children -- younger than the "14 and over" age group Zucker was targeting -- could swallow these powerful magnets, then pull them against their stomach walls with other Buckyballs. They were a danger, the agency declared. In fact, from 2009 to 2011, the CPSC says some 1,700 children have been hospitalized after ingesting Buckyballs or similar, high-powered magnets.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/20/buckyballs-magnate-says-feds-took-him-down-for-speaking-out/
A crystal clear case of nanny state interference and you as well as others are advocates of nanny state interference. Parents are too stupid and thus the feds will shoulder some of the parenting duties.

sudden valley gunner

To go along with the above post....

"Even after federal agents stormed the store in 2010, guns drawn, raiding the retailer for unmarked jugs of raw milk, patrons have continued to graze over to Rawesome for all their natural goat milk needs." http://rt.com/usa/food-agents-year-milk/

They were only supplying what people were wanting, yet because of government mandates (losses of liberty) violent coercive use of force, to stop someone from supplying healthy food, and it still doesn't work. Just like the loosing drug war, they can't even keep drugs out of prisons.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

To go along with the above post....

"Even after federal agents stormed the store in 2010, guns drawn, raiding the retailer for unmarked jugs of raw milk, patrons have continued to graze over to Rawesome for all their natural goat milk needs." http://rt.com/usa/food-agents-year-milk/

They were only supplying what people were wanting, yet because of government mandates (losses of liberty) violent coercive use of force, to stop someone from supplying healthy food, and it still doesn't work. Just like the loosing drug war, they can't even keep drugs out of prisons.

Wasn't Gipson(guitars) raided by the same thugs? For all things dyed wood.

sudden valley gunner

Wasn't Gipson(guitars) raided by the same thugs? For all things dyed wood.

They were raided and they followed the law.

I love Gibson guitars and part of that love is the wood they put into it.

It's sad that people will excuse these actions, the colonist tore down the houses of officials for enforcing a minimal tax, yet we shrug our shoulders and are glad it hasn't happened to us yet.

Look at how many take the oath to uphold the constitution, yet they don't even understand it and will just "follow orders". Or blame the victims for the acts of the aggressors by idiotic comment of well they can move.

sudden valley gunner

Seems like a founding father John Jay (who was fairly statist) disagrees with some of the posters ideas of "consent".

“No power on earth has a right to take our property from us without our consent.”—John Jay, first Chief Justice of the United States

Does look like he was saying you should just move.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Seems like a founding father John Jay (who was fairly statist) disagrees with some of the posters ideas of "consent".

“No power on earth has a right to take our property from us without our consent.”—John Jay, first Chief Justice of the United States

Does look like he was saying you should just move.

Great find!

Freedom1Man

sudden valley gunner

Gibson in aug 2012 unexpectedly capitulated and paid a 300K fine, forfeited 600K and made a 50K donation to wildlife.

shame but pursuing prob would have cost Gibson a fortune defending its position.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/gibson-guitars-exotic-wood_n_1747507.html

Gibson guitars is proof that, even if you follow the laws, the government will harm anyone they want to.

But hey guys don't say that's becoming the norm or you are cop bashing. :p

These examples are well known because of the high profile of the actors involved. Imagine the countless people who are just try to scratch a living out during their brief existence on this planet who are extorted, bribed, robbed, jailed, and can't even afford to make deals like Gibson.

Hell Martha Stewart, Michael Milken are rich and they couldn't win, they had to capitulate the violent force of government.