• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New NHTSA Attacks on 4th Amendment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/No...adblock-Asked-for-Saliva-Blood-232438621.html

This report is out of Ft. Worth, where local police were cooperating with NHTSA in setting up roadblocks, where law-abiding drivers were forced into detainment areas for the purposes of obtaining DNA, blood and breathalyzer values.

FUQ:

Some drivers along a busy Fort Worth street on Friday were stopped at a police roadblock and directed into a parking lot, where they were asked by federal contractors for samples of their breath, saliva and even blood.

It was part of a government research study aimed at determining the number of drunken or drug-impaired drivers.​

Once detained, the drivers were asked to voluntarily submit to DNA swabbing, blood sampling and breathalyzer testing in order to collect data for the NHTSA study. Payment was offered for participation. While categorized as voluntary, the drivers were given no option to detainment, however temporarily, while the request for participation was explained to them. Apparently, during the discussion, the drivers breath was being passively analyzed for alcohol content. What's really bothersome is the participation by local law enforcement who are interfering with the driving public's right of unhindered travel in order to facilitate a government data collection program.

Although this report came from Ft. Worth, NHTSA sources indicate that this program is being executed in 30 U.S. cities.

mikeyb

And some SS directed people into the cattle-cars, not the ovens, just following orders.

Really? You're pathetic to invoke the wartime actions of the SS to this. There was no detaining of people. They didn't have to stop AT ALL. 1 in 6 cars refused the survey or didn't stop.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Misstated. Officers directed cars. There was no detaining.

Legally, you may be correct but in actuality the driver had no recourse but to interrupt her planned route and be shunted into an area where she was given the "opportunity" to participate in the survey. She had indicated to the officer that she desired to proceed straight ahead but he denied her right to proceed. In my book, he was preventing her from her right of free travel in order to meet the needs of NHTSA. While it may not be a legal detainment, their actions certainly detained her from her original route.

Had she been knowledgeable about how to resist such stops, i.e., "Am I being detained? If not, am I free to go?" she might not have been forced into a "holding" area where she was passively tested for indications of alcohol on her breath.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Really? You're pathetic to invoke the wartime actions of the SS to this. There was no detaining of people. They didn't have to stop AT ALL. 1 in 6 cars refused the survey or didn't stop.

According to the article, the driver indicated that she wanted to proceed on her way, but the officer demanded that she alter her course to the inspection area.

eye95

Legally, you may be correct but in actuality the driver had no recourse but to interrupt her planned route and be shunted into an area where she was given the "opportunity" to participate in the survey. She had indicated to the officer that she desired to proceed straight ahead but he denied her right to proceed. In my book, he was preventing her from her right of free travel in order to meet the needs of NHTSA. While it may not be a legal detainment, their actions certainly detained her from her original route.

Had she been knowledgeable about how to resist such stops, i.e., "Am I being detained? If not, am I free to go?" she might not have been forced into a "holding" area where she was passively tested for indications of alcohol on her breath.

Nope, I'd say that you are describing a detention. I believe Terry refers to such a seizure as the person reasonably believing they were not free to go. That would be true no matter how short the stop.

If I had standing, I'd be threatening to sue, hoping for change without the suit, but still willing to bring it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Status
Not open for further replies.