• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to remove firearm at Olive Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill45

Did you contact corporate? If not, that's your fault. OG is gun friendly.

Don't confuse "gun friendly" with simply "gun tolerant".

Everyone thought Starbucks was gun friendly when they were just tolerating the situation for profit sake.
If OG's tolerance gets any press coverage then the tolerance will become anti-gun in a heartbeat.

The lessons learned via the Starbucks situation should be remembered here: Don't draw the anti gun press attention to this tolerance.
Just enjoy your free meals in silence.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If a carrier does not tell corporate of a bad experience, especially when against corporate policy, how can you expect any change for the better? You can't complain that their policies are ignored if you are part of the reason they are ignorant of the problem.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MattinWA One unfriendly manager (well two in my case, three if you include OP story) have allowed me to conclude that they are not gun friendly.

I have never been asked to leave my home for OC, perhaps that is one good point.

Only takes 1 for me ...
That is disappointing, but I'll take you word for it.

Glad that every one doesn't give up so easily.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Everyone thought Starbucks was gun friendly...

Actually, there were MANY here who tried to say very clearly from the outset that Starbucks was only gun tolerant and not gun friendly, and therefore not to push them. We were ignored then, and forgotten now, apparently.

SPOProds

That is the the worst advice of the day. When asked to leave an establishment, you are trespassing if you remain, regardless of company policy.

Like GrapeShot mentioned I said nothing of the sort.

Plenty of friendlier places to support, why would I go back?

Because if you did follow up with corporate they would have fixed the issue. Then you could go back and patronize a restaurant that isn't pro or anti.

Same thing with WalMart you get kicked out. Shoot corporate an email when you get home and the problem is fixed.

Spokane OG's manager may be misinformed. Why not fix the problem? Allow corporate to inform him that they follow state law.

Individually Responsible.
Sent from the back of a black van

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did you contact corporate? If not, that's your fault. OG is gun friendly.

Don't confuse "gun friendly" with simply "gun tolerant".

Everyone thought Starbucks was gun friendly when they were just tolerating the situation for profit sake.
If OG's tolerance gets any press coverage then the tolerance will become anti-gun in a heartbeat.

The lessons learned via the Starbucks situation should be remembered here: Don't draw the anti gun press attention to this tolerance.
Just enjoy your free meals in silence.

Friendly and tolerant are the same for our conversational purposes.

Starbuck is still tolerant. Staples is tolerant.

Darden Industries is tolerant.

They all greet me in a friendly manner.

There are degrees and limits to acceptance. Had the particpants at Starbucks OCing with long guns adhered to the principles of OCDO (carrying holstered handguns) the issue would likely not have grown to such proportions.

Attracting the anti press is not a choice - it is a fact with which we must deal; otherwise we lose before we begin.

Difdi

That is the the worst advice of the day. When asked to leave an establishment, you are trespassing if you remain, regardless of company policy.

While it's true, it's also a non sequitur. You're the first person to mention doing any such thing in this thread.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Good job!

The OP did what he felt was right and it worked out in favor of gun carriers and cleared up a misunderstanding.

Good thing the Vancouver PD and prosecutor didn't get involved, they have a different history with law abiding gun owners.

MattinWA

Then let it be. By continuing in this way, you belittle the efforts of those who seek to improve conditions.

Nothing in this world is perfect.

I work six days a week, full time parent, home owner, and still spend time at gonzaga making people aware of illegal theft of students firearms (by the school), calls to city parks to get illegal no gun signs removed, and you think I am actively belittling ocdo efforts. I dont have time/care about spending money with my pistol at an establishment that obviously wants neither my money or my gear there.

You Cite this "company policy" BS-
my reply: actions speak louder then words.

Its low on my to do list to force a company to allow me to eat noodles with a pistol.
Low even for my 2A to do list

Last edited:

MattinWA

While it's true, it's also a non sequitur. You're the first person to mention doing any such thing in this thread.

Nah guy wanted me to call corp. When asked to leave. Unless I missed something, there is no trespass exemption to "call the company" to discus their firearm policy. He went on to say it was my fault. My fault im not in jail? Hmmm

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Nah guy wanted me to call corp. When asked to leave. Unless I missed something, there is no trespass exemption to "call the company" to discus their firearm policy...

He didn't say not to leave before doing it. You are correct that you need to leave when asked.

But it is very clear now that he also meant to leave first. Why are we still playing a blame game when everyone was right?

MattinWA

He didn't say not to leave before doing it. You are correct that you need to leave when asked.

But it is very clear now that he also meant to leave first. Why are we still playing a blame game when everyone was right?

he didnt say TO leave before doing it, and insinuated fault. Was i expected to wait in the parking lot while i called Darden and wait for my free meal? Please, i have no time/patience for that & I had a hungry kiddo with me. Why did I not call after I left? A) it was sunday. B) I had promptly filled my belly elsewhere.
Problem solved. They get no more money.

Im simply replying to accusations that I am "at fault" and "belittling" OCDO, and now that I am playing some sort of "blame game"

I address accusations head on. This is a discussion board, is it not?

Last edited:

Maverick9

Because if you did follow up with corporate they would have fixed the issue. Then you could go back and patronize a restaurant that isn't pro or anti.

Bear in mind that just because corporate says it's OK does not mean it's even tolerated. It's begrudged. If something happens you know the establishment is not going to take your side.

If a customer complains, corporate be damned (for example).

My beef is with the 'solution' of putting your firearm in the car and grumbling about it here.

MattinWA

Bear in mind that just because corporate says it's OK does not mean it's even tolerated. It's begrudged. If something happens you know the establishment is not going to take your side.

If a customer complains, corporate be damned (for example).

My beef is with the 'solution' of putting your firearm in the car and grumbling about it here.

Ya, they gave me that option too. I didnt stick around

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I work six days a week, full time parent, home owner, and still spend time at gonzaga making people aware of illegal theft of students firearms (by the school), calls to city parks to get illegal no gun signs removed, and you think I am actively belittling ocdo efforts. I dont have time/care about spending money with my pistol at an establishment that obviously wants neither my money or my gear there.

You Cite this "company policy" BS-
my reply: actions speak louder then words.

Its low on my to do list to force a company to allow me to eat noodles with a pistol.
Low even for my 2A to do list
Repeat - nothing in this world is perfect.

Your public response is what belittles the efforts of others. You don't want to eat there then don't, but what you say here and how that effects our efforts is my business....officially.

Perhaps a bit more tolerance and understanding of others would be of benefit, no reason to roll over either. That is not a personal attack - it is intended as advice that I would give to anyone. Attempting to accomplish good public relations works.

Last edited:

MattinWA

Repeat - nothing in this world is perfect.

Your public response is what belittles the efforts of others. You don't want to eat there then don't, but what you say here and how that effects our efforts is my business....officially.

my public response? I told them their error (at olive garden) then left without commotion. How would it have been better handled at the time?

So OCDO only values opinions of those that are exactly in line with your (collective) established norm. Those who do not fit as cogs in your machine are berated as belittlers, at fault for something (still not sure what) Doesnt leave much room for discussion on the discussion board.

You preach tolerance, yet call me a belittler and start to remind me . of your position of power on OCDO the moment I disagree with your established way of doing things. I cant fight every battle and dont care enough about OG to change their minds. I would rather battle the city, the parks and gonzaga.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
my public response? I told them their error (at olive garden) then left without commotion. How would it have been better handled at the time?

So OCDO only values opinions of those that are exactly in line with your (collective) established norm. Those who do not fit as cogs in your machine are berated as belittlers, at fault for something (still not sure what) Doesnt leave much room for discussion on the discussion board.

You preach tolerance, yet call me a belittler and start to remind me . of your position of power on OCDO the moment I disagree with your established way of doing things. I cant fight every battle and dont care enough about OG to change their minds. I would rather battle the city, the parks and gonzaga.

Then you miss the point totally. I refer to your reply on this forum (public response) not to how you view Olive Garden. The rest is a bit of an unnecessary rant.

I comend you for what you do.

MattinWA

Then you miss the point totally. I refer to your reply on this forum (public response) not to how you view Olive Garden. The rest is a bit of an unnecessary rant.

I comend you for what you do.
And I commend you for what you do, sir, and mean no disrespect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.