• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Far-Left Incursion into the Commonwealth: like metastatic cancer

Repeater

Cure for cancer?

This new graphic is disgusting looking. It looks like our beloved Virginia with stage 4 cancer:
528bea62186cd.image.jpg

God help us.

Last edited:

Repeater

Pull-Quote

I don't really like this:
Northern Virginia also demonstrates the dangers for the GOP if the party does not respond to a rapidly changing state electorate. While the percentages for the Democratic candidates were about the same in Fairfax County, doing as well translated into nearly 13,000 more votes for the Democrats in 2013. The GOP, in contrast, only ended up with 6,600 more Fairfax votes than the party received eight years earlier.

Republican candidates for statewide office need to focus on where the voters are, geographically as well as demographically and culturally.

Given voting trends that are at best problematic going forward, Republicans would be wise to seek more moderate statewide candidates.

So, their advice is what, nominating pro-gun control "moderate" RINO's in order to [strike]appeal[/strike] capitulate to the urban cancer centers?

DrakeZ07

I don't really like this:

So, their advice is what, nominating pro-gun control "moderate" RINO's in order to [strike]appeal[/strike] capitulate to the urban cancer centers?

"Despite his very thin governing credentials, McAuliffe effectively painted his opponent as an extremist who cared more about closing abortion clinics than getting Virginians back to work." - Dat article.

Guns aren't the only deciding factors in elections, dude; As much of a shocker as it seems, guns and run rights aren't the sole inhabitant of politics in the U.S. I know nothing about McAuliffe, or the republican or third-party candidates, other than what I've seen and heard from NPR radio. And frankly, I don't much care about non-Kentucky state-politics; but I just wanted to mention that gun's aren't as important of an issue to the general voting populace as we gun-nuts might believe it to be. Supposedly the majority of voters, Democrat/Republican/Independant/Third-Party voted for, and got elected a Democratic candidate, even though they are anti-gun. That might be a sign that the majority of voters don't want someone who is So republican, that they make Reagen look Democrat. Or it might mean that the majority of voters wanted a person who wasn't going to talk about keeping the gov't out of our holsters, but then demand that the gov't have its hand shoved up a woman's vag to protect a fetus.

Sorry to get off track, but looking at other electoral sources, Democrats and republicans voted for McAuliffe, just as Demorats and republicans voted for the Cooch. Don't be blaming the Dems for your GOP candidate losing, it's just a sign of what the majority of voters wanted. Even if it's a close margin, or if it's a wide-berth between the two's results. The people have, figuratively, spoken. Deal with it. Just as how the people who voted for Al Gore, or Kerry, had to deal with having a Republican somewhat-pro-gun, anti-choice, warmonger as president for eight years.

Don't like how things are and how results are, good or bad? You could go live in Communist Vietnam, only one party, and they're awesome at showing just how conservative communism can be, with their gay marriage ban, and ban on abortions! Oh, wait, they ban guns. Huh. You could go live in Somalia! Free guns for everyone, true liberty to do and say as you please, you can even die freely there, and since it's mostly muslim, you don't have to worry about those pesky women getting uppity and wanting abortions, because you can stand in line to help stone them!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Appreciate your thoughts, dude, but I see no relevance in what Communist Vietnam or Somalia do - hardly relevant to Virginia politics/elections or the results thereof.

There being a segment of the voting population that wishes to be supported by and taken care of by others is no surprise. That they are influenced by outside money is no surprise either. The misleading graphic in the OP is just one example of how low that (not from Virginia or by Virginians) effort will stoop.

Neither my RKBA nor my family's safety are for sale. The fact that others try to trade them for their own benefit (intentionally or by default) matters not. What matters is whether we are willing to accept that as just the way things are. We are not so willing and that was the point of the OP.

The gun grabbers did not come away with a mandate or control of the legislature. They will find it very hard to push their agenda forward. Hopefully the General Assembly will rise up and push back and keep Virginia for Virginians in accordance with our Constitution.

We will "deal with it." We have in the past and will continue to do so, now more than ever. We have been given a wake up call. We will respond with renewed vigor. That, dude, is who and what we are.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Now the question is why? Better organization getting out the vote?
The question of "why" about what? The OP has shared an image of party breakdown by area and remarked how distasteful is was - generated by those opposed to us. Think he was more considering how such information is portrayed rather than analyzing the results.

This is not a thread on why the election went the way it did - plenty of existing threads for that.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The question of "why" about what? The OP has shared an image of party breakdown by area and remarked how distasteful is was - generated by those opposed to us. Think he was more considering how such information is portrayed rather than analyzing the results.

This is not a thread on why the election went the way it did - plenty of existing threads for that.

Grape .. I've run political campaigns .... and got out a larger vote for my side than the other side while the reg. voters of the other side outnumbered my side 2-1.... so votes cast for one side or another is only the end result ... why the result occurs is not so straightforward.

And I think that the OP was exampling data to show that democrats are gaining ground and is a cancer to freedom.

You're not wearing google glasses are you Grape? lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape .. I've run political campaigns .... and got out a larger vote for my side than the other side while the reg. voters of the other side outnumbered my side 2-1.... so votes cast for one side or another is only the end result ... why the result occurs is not so straightforward.
--snipped--l
Perhaps you should offer your services on a national and multi-state level - get wealthy, become famous while producing results that could have profound results for our side. Then there would be no need to ask why.

Repeater

Well, the prescription from the political science professor, Stephen J. Farnsworth, is that the GOP needs to "moderate" its image, message, or whatever - and that often is code for "reasonable" or "common-sense" gun control, like "universal" background checks.

Years ago, I remember another professor, William Tonso, who wrote about the civil war between the Cosmopolitans and the Bedrock Americans. One of his papers can be found here:
Social Science and Sagecraft in the Debate Over Gun Control

Some time later, Joseph P. Tartaro wrote about that theme in a commentary:
Bedrock vs. Cosmopolitan

There is a significant difference in the way people who live in highly urbanized areas as opposed to rural and small town communities (not suburban areas) view guns, gun ownership and self-protection. Prof. William Tonso, a sociologist at the University of Evansville, has identified this difference broadly as related to two distinctly different cultures: one individual, bedrock and traditional American, the other collective, cosmopolitan and more European in character.

Perhaps this is why Congressional - or even state - votes on gun legislation are clearly divided along geographic rather than party lines or broad political philosophy. If Democrats more frequently appear to be the party supporting gun laws in Congress and in many states, that is because they are more frequently the party of urbanized areas. But when you look at those Democrats who voted against the ban, you will find that they come from less urbanized areas, from traditionalist Democratic strongholds in the South and West.

A closer look at Republican votes reveals that most GOP votes for new gun laws tend to come from urban and suburban areas. Take a look at the roll call vote for the Feinstein-Schumer "assault weapon" and "large capacity magazine" ban. Republicans like Henry Hyde of Illinois and Jack Quinn of New York, as just two examples of Republicans who voted for the ban, are urban-suburban Republicans. They will tell you that their constituent polls showed support for the ban, or that local law enforcement officials urged them to vote for it. But neither reason would have applied in a different geographic area. The police chiefs and sheriffs in more rural, bedrock areas, who actually outnumber their colleagues in the urban, cosmopolitan areas, did not support the ban, and did not get lawmakers who otherwise would have voted against it to switch.

That brings us to the influence of the law-enforcement community on the issue, and a major root cause for the anti-gun vote. But first, remember that the National Association of Chiefs of Police (NACOP) polls, which survey all command level police across the country, differ from the oft repeated claim that law-enforcement endorsed the ban. The police organizations which supported Feinstein-Schumer are dominated by urban-suburban types who, while fewer in number, are also more easily linked to the big city media and more susceptible to political pressure.

Under this theory, as Virginia becomes more overwhelmed by urbanized Progressive-minded Cosmopolitans, the worse it will become for the rest of us.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, the prescription from the political science professor, Stephen J. Farnsworth, is that the GOP needs to "moderate" its image, message, or whatever - and that often is code for "reasonable" or "common-sense" gun control, like "universal" background checks.

Years ago, I remember another professor, William Tonso, who wrote about the civil war between the Cosmopolitans and the Bedrock Americans. One of his papers can be found here:
Social Science and Sagecraft in the Debate Over Gun Control

Some time later, Joseph P. Tartaro wrote about that theme in a commentary:

Under this theory, as Virginia becomes more overwhelmed by urbanized Progressive-minded Cosmopolitans, the worse it will become for the rest of us.

With that in mind, Thomas Jefferson has something to say on the subject of cities and the urban mind set.
http://www.planetizen.com/node/18841

Primus

With that in mind, Thomas Jefferson has something to say on the subject of cities and the urban mind set.

Interesting read. Have to say I agree with him. I live in a fairly large city and it sucks. The dependence on services is through the roof. You learn to be independent and self sufficient when you grow your own food and raise your own meat, not take a little blue card and get it from the the mini mart at every corner, with your blunt wraps of course.

Repeater

Yes, I'm very much aware of Jefferson's understanding of nature. He, and others, understand that people best appreciate the laws of nature when they live in or near nature, that is, the real world. However, people who are sequestered in urban centers are divorced from the laws of nature and tend to become more leftist over time.