• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Honest Question

devildogdiesel0311

Im not out to create a stir or piss anyone off, im just looking for an answer. I cant really go to the local law enforcement agency because my weapons may be considered illegal. Up until yesterday I was under the impression that my HK416, SCAR L, and my XDM .45 (high capacity double stacked mags) were all legal because they were grandfathered in when I moved here. Since I'm stationed here but have a home of record in Wisconsin, I was told by a local sheriff who I called maybe 12-14 months ago that my weapons were ok to bring into the state but I was the only one who could transport and shoot the weapons.

Yesterday i went to BEAR arms in Yucca Valley, Ca and tried to see if they would host or accept the purchase of my 2 lowers for my second scar that im building. They said no because it didnt have a bullet button and secondly all my weapons were illegal and california and if caught my weapons could be confiscated and i could face felony weapons charges. Is that true or just the opinion of one gun salesmen?

Not trying to create a stir just trying to find out if i need to ship my guns back home a.s.a.p.

JustaShooter

BTW, you would do well to ignore the postings of the one other respondent to your thread - even when he posts on-topic, his advice is suspect and at times has been demonstrated to be completely erroneous to the point it could get someone thrown in jail if followed.

I wish I could help but I'm not familiar with CA law - hopefully someone who is will post soon. Were it me, I would ship any non-CA compliant firearms to a trusted relative (via FFL to satisfy the legal aspects of the transfer) post-haste. I'd then start working on a transfer to a more 2A friendly state.

mjones

Yesterday i went to BEAR arms in Yucca Valley, Ca and tried to see if they would host or accept the purchase of my 2 lowers for my second scar that im building. They said no because it didnt have a bullet button and secondly all my weapons were illegal and california and if caught my weapons could be confiscated and i could face felony weapons charges. Is that true or just the opinion of one gun salesmen?

Not trying to create a stir just trying to find out if i need to ship my guns back home a.s.a.p.

Flowcharts for determining if any of your weapons are CA-Defined Assault Weapons (Pistols, Shotguns & Rifles) are available at CalGuns.net (Links at the top of every page) Here's a direct link to the one for rifles (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf)

If you do determine for any reason that you have accidentally imported an 'assault weapon', contact a lawyer immediately. Don Kilmer (NorCal) or Michel and Associates (SoCal)

Do Not attempt to move them out of state!!!! Transportation of an unregistered assault weapon is a felony (whereas simple possession is a 'fixable' wobbler)

Do not take legal advice from anyone but a lawyer (NO cops, NO gunshops & definitely not the CA DoJ)

I know this sounds like simply an opportunistic advertisement for lawyers; but its not. Please please please contact a lawyer immediately.

Illegal Importation of a large capacity magazine is almost impossible to prove unless you incriminate yourself somehow. Also, keep in mind that any large capacity magazine which you possessed within CA prior to 1/1/00 are perfectly legal to re-import into the state.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

They think they are not part of the United States. The rest of us wish they weren't. :)

+1 I believe the land West of Arizona you refer to is called the "The Peoples' Democratic Republic of Kalifornia", or "Kalifornia" for short. There is rumor that it was once a part of the Free world, and that the North was enslaved by the South at some point.

On topic: I suggest you take mjones's advice, seeing as it is better to be out a lawyer's hour worth of money (however much that is) than a few years worth of your time. Even if the food you receive during your stay is complementary.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
BTW, you would do well to ignore the postings of the one other respondent to your thread - even when he posts on-topic, his advice is suspect and at times has been demonstrated to be completely erroneous to the point it could get someone thrown in jail if followed...
+100

devildogdiesel0311

Flowcharts for determining if any of your weapons are CA-Defined Assault Weapons (Pistols, Shotguns & Rifles) are available at CalGuns.net (Links at the top of every page) Here's a direct link to the one for rifles (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf)

If you do determine for any reason that you have accidentally imported an 'assault weapon', contact a lawyer immediately. Don Kilmer (NorCal) or Michel and Associates (SoCal)

Do Not attempt to move them out of state!!!! Transportation of an unregistered assault weapon is a felony (whereas simple possession is a 'fixable' wobbler)

Do not take legal advice from anyone but a lawyer (NO cops, NO gunshops & definitely not the CA DoJ)

I know this sounds like simply an opportunistic advertisement for lawyers; but its not. Please please please contact a lawyer immediately.

Illegal Importation of a large capacity magazine is almost impossible to prove unless you incriminate yourself somehow. Also, keep in mind that any large capacity magazine which you possessed within CA prior to 1/1/00 are perfectly legal to re-import into the state.

I'm grandfathered and good! Consult was free, i did find out though only i can transport, hold and shoot it. No one but me. All 3 weapons are registered to me so im ok. Only 8 months left and im out, i can not wait to never come back here again.................

As an added bonus this might blow your minds....if your a CA resident and your transporting an assault rifle variant because of the bullet button the proper way for transport is no round in chamber, bolt forward, MAGAZINE INSERTED, BULLET BUTTON ENGAGED. Thats right you transport the rifle with the 10rd magazine inserted........f*cking genius.

Also if anyone of my weapons had been a bushmaster i would have been screwed all BUSHMASTER firearms are illegal, evenif they made a handgun if its stamped bushmaster its an auto illegal.

Last edited:

devildogdiesel0311

BTW, you would do well to ignore the postings of the one other respondent to your thread - even when he posts on-topic, his advice is suspect and at times has been demonstrated to be completely erroneous to the point it could get someone thrown in jail if followed.

I wish I could help but I'm not familiar with CA law - hopefully someone who is will post soon. Were it me, I would ship any non-CA compliant firearms to a trusted relative (via FFL to satisfy the legal aspects of the transfer) post-haste. I'd then start working on a transfer to a more 2A friendly state.

who is that, and cant im active duty been here on and off for 5 years.....afghan, 29, afghan, 29, undisclosed location, 29...................not even a nice part of cali im in the middle of the damn desert.......

JustaShooter

Yeah, I understand the military life. My father was career Air Force and until he had been in for a long time he had no choice in where he was stationed - and even then he couldn't choose where he went next, but at least had a half decent chance of getting the base he asked for.

Good luck dealing with your situation, and thank you for your service.

notalawyer

who is that, and cant im active duty been here on and off for 5 years.....afghan, 29, afghan, 29, undisclosed location, 29...................not even a nice part of cali im in the middle of the damn desert.......

I believe that is a reference to the first reply in the thread.