• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll Finds Americans Skeptical of So-called Smart Guns

OC for ME

"Smart Guns" is a made-up term for a conceptual firearm that incorporates technology that theoretically permits the gun to be fired only by the authorized user. Failed attempts to develop and market "smart guns" have been going on for years.

NRA does not oppose new technological developments in firearms; however, we are opposed to government mandates that require the use of expensive, unreliable features, such as grips that would read your fingerprints before the gun will fire. And NRA recognizes that the "smart guns" issue clearly has the potential to mesh with the anti-gunner's agenda, opening the door to a ban on all guns that do not possess the government-required technology.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/a...ricans-skeptical-of-so-called-smart-guns.aspx
The real story is not what the NRA has to say, but that NJ has had a law on the books for 10 years mandating every pistol in NJ be a "smart gun."

Google "smart gun" and read. Is the "sky falling"? Not today it seems.

JustaShooter

Every implementation of the so-called smart guns I have seen are full of fail when it comes to personal defense, even if they work perfectly as designed. I'll never rely on one, not no way, not no how. :uhoh:

OC for ME

Let us not get all wound up in the possible advancements in gun tech due to the advances in electronic that make guns more fun. The op gives a hint as to what the perils of smart tech is for our 2A protected right.

here is another hint: RFID.

BrianB

Future news story:

According to anonymous persons close to the family Sarah Brady's head reportedly exploded yesterday morning. Less than 24 hours after smart gun technology became mandatory for all firearms a group of hackers has released code that converts the most common smart gun firing system to fully automatic. Sources at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives, and Health Insurance have confirmed that the hack does indeed work as reported and takes only about 2 minutes to implement. They are asking all smart gun owners to bring their firearms to their local BATFEHI office for a software upgrade to ensure the continued safe operation of their firearm. So far only two people have showed up requesting the upgrade. Reportedly both were confused and thought the BATFEHI would actually install the full-auto hack for them.