Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry: "Gun-toters looked like vigilantes"

Open Carry: "Gun-toters looked like vigilantes"

This false narrative is tiresome ....

Gun-toters looked like vigilantes
    Editor, Times-Dispatch:

Gov.-elect Terry McAuliffe received an “F” from the NRA. Good for him in taking on the NRA gun lobby in Virginia. It is about time someone stood up to the bullies.

In January, I along with colleagues of SALT, a faith-based ecumenical group of volunteers that advocates for the most vulnerable, were in Richmond to talk to members of the General Assembly. On the day we were there, hundreds of people were walking around the offices of Virginia delegates and senators with guns strapped to their hips.

I found this very alarming and asked one of the security guards if such was permitted in a public facility, especially one in which elected officials were gathered. With a frown on his face, he assured me that it was. He seemed uncomfortable, as was I.

I consider such to be extreme, unwarranted and very dangerous — and this comes from a guy who grew up in rural Illinois where everyone I knew had guns for hunting game. However, we did not take these lethal weapons to public meetings, schools, churches or to stores when shopping.

This display of lethal firepower at the offices of delegates and senators has nothing to do with the Second Amendment and the protection of citizens from the bad guys. How were any of us on a peaceful mission to know that those with weapons on their hips were the good guys? I felt threatened, and have to believe that some of our elected officials did not believe their security was being enhanced by many who looked like nothing more than vigilantes.

These folks displaying firearms in a public government building are not enhancing the security of Virginia citizens. That should be done by law enforcement. If we do not have sufficient number of law enforcement officers on the beat for security purposes, then shame on us.

Robert Stewart. Chantilly.
    So, OC is bullying? And this from a guy who claims to be "faith-based" ... well, thou shall not bear False Witness.

Founder's Club Member
    He's obviously a man of faith in contrary to evidence. He has faith that he either has no need to defend himself (because his life is of so little value), or believes that someone else will do it for him (their lives are of less value than his).

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    This false narrative is tiresome ....

Gun-toters looked like vigilantes

So, OC is bullying? And this from a guy who claims to be "faith-based" ... well, thou shall not bear False Witness.
    I am merely an atheist heathen, but I'm always amused by those of "faith" who think everyone should be disarmed. The bible is full of quotes about defending oneself.

Luke 22:36 - And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

As well, I've never understood how one can believe that any god, who would give them this most precious gift of life, would wish that they lay down and allow that gift to be stolen without a fight.

Mark 3:27 - But no one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house.

Banned
    If the guy was truly worried about his well being due to Americans being about, he would have ran home, locked himself in his bedroom, crawled under his bed and cried himself to sleep.

Founder's Club Member
    Yup. Apparently he was so scared that he openly talked about the people "scaring" him in public while in their presence. Something doesn't add up.

Amazing

"How were any of us on a peaceful mission to know that those with weapons on their hips were the good guys? "

I guess the criminals in Illinois always open carry their guns, right?

How do people this mentally deficient in common sense survive?

What Robert Stewart fails to understand is that by the time you see a criminal's gun, it is already too late. And just what made him think I or any of the other open carriers were there to provide security for him?

Fear not Robert Stewart, I promise I will NEVER use my gun to protect you. You have your "faith" for that!

Perhaps you should move back to Illinois where you won't be afraid of legally armed citizens and they practice your strange "faith".
    Last edited by va_tazdad; 11-21-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Hard-Core Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Yup. Apparently he was so scared that he openly talked about the people "scaring" him in public while in their presence. Something doesn't add up.
    Add this to the equation: if this facebook page is indeed him, he is a committed Progressive:
    Favorites

Newspapers
    Washington Post

Television
    The Rachel Maddow Show
    Hardball with Chris Matthews
    The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell
    PoliticsNation with Al Sharpton

Other
    I Am Fr. Rowe,
    American Girl,
    BlueMountain.com,
    Election 2012: Catholics Vote for the Common Good,
    Draft Ashley Judd for Senate: Defeat Mitch McConnell,
    Ethan Allen,
    Catholic Extension,
    Terry McAuliffe,
    Paul Krugman,
    Americans for Tax Fairness,
    Holy Trinity Catholic Church,
    Hung Nguyen for VA House of Delegates,
    Jennifer McClellan,
    Amending the Constitution so Corporations Can’t Buy Elections,
    Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    A "not from around here" guy moves to this freedom loving state, then wants to change it into what he left behind.

Sounds like a familiar lament of the weary, wayward wanderer & not to his native shore.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I love how OCing at the GA is not about the Second Amendment. Prolly 'cause 2A is only about hunting, right?

I'm not sure how many folks who own firearms would ever rise up and take arms against a government that refuses to abide by the rule of law. But I'm very happy to think that my elected representatives might be considering that the number might be greater than 1 when they are visually reminded that some of us have at least the means.

Please - no keyboard kommando comments. Let's stay on track for once and deal with Robert Stewart Chantilly's ignorance (which has nothing to do with his misplaced "feelings").

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Smile

Did it dawn on him to have conversation with one of those gun-toters to have a better understanding as to why one would carry a sidearm? It just cracks me up how these folks cower and then run away to complain on some public forum. Take some personal responsibility, you something wrong, take action and address it on the spot...
    "Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me"
    NRA Lifetime Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Sounds like a familiar lament of the weary, wayward wanderer & not to his native shore.
    Since 1865.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM15A View Post
    Did it dawn on him to have conversation with one of those gun-toters to have a better understanding as to why one would carry a sidearm?
    Even though I know you meant that rhetorically, I can categorically say: no.

It did not dawn on him because he, like millions of other progressive interlopers he PROJECTS his own sense of self onto others. That is a terrible thought to contemplate that a man, representing a "faith-based group" would have such a low opinion of HIMSELF (let alone his fellow man) as to believe the worst of everyone and that our RIGHT to self defense ends at the front door of whatever establishment or venue we happen to be in at the same time.

This guy is the worst kind of coward. I am not surprised in the least that he is from Illinois, from where at least two of the worst human beings to ever walk this earth (and hold the office of high potentate) came.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I wonder if this ninny had to change his Depends?

Sure there were people OC, but the majority of us were CC, between the cold weather and the Byzantian requirement for a CHP to enter the GA armed. He was around a whole lot more guns than he even knew. Imagine all those guns and no incident. You are not in Illinois, bucko. If freedom bothers you, go back where you came from!
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Lol Illinois

I was thinking on the way to work this morning:

Perhaps people like him fear others who legally protect themselves with firearms because he cannot trust himself with the responsibility of providing his own security. They must think that there is a 1-1 ratio of police officers to citizens everywhere. jeez.

Anyway, I laughed because my fiance is from Illinois. Firearms made her uncomfortable at first but I carry everywhere I go with her and she's agreed to taking a shooting class so she can perhaps buy her own. With knowledge, irrational fear can subside.
    Last edited by george11c; 11-22-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Since 1865.--snipped--
    1865? Do you refer to the end of the War Between the States?

I borrowed and adapted the reference from Poe who originally wrote To Helen in 1831, and then revised it in 1845. The trouble man died in 1849.

My point was that people relocating pack their personal baggage/beliefs/fears and then at the new location thrust the contents upon others. They try to duplicate their original environment. Question is of course, then why didn't they just stay where they were and save us all the aggravation?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

...a guy who grew up in rural Illinois where everyone I knew had guns for hunting game. However, we did not take these lethal weapons to public meetings, schools, churches or to stores when shopping...
    He intentionally leaves out the part that it isn't normal where he grew up because it is ILLEGAL where he grew up, except for cops, who are among the few classes of people who aren't potential random victims in Illinois.

He intentionally makes no distinction between a hunting arm and a sidearm.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-22-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I plan to OC again this year on lobby day at the general assembly.

I will be sure to wear my "Concealed Handgun Permit Holder" sash and badge to ease Robert's fears and so he can distinguish me from all the armed vigilantes running around that day.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

I also plan to OC

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    I will be sure to wear my "Concealed Handgun Permit Holder" sash and badge to ease Robert's fears and so he can distinguish me from all the armed vigilantes running around that day.
    But I will wear a "I'm a good guy" T-shirt. Wouldn't want to scare the "faith based" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    That's a collector's item. They http://www.dsmsafety.com/ccw.html dropped it years ago and now cater to The Only Ones only.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

My point was that people relocating pack their personal baggage/beliefs/fears and then at the new location thrust the contents upon others. They try to duplicate their original environment.
    You see that in all the states around Kalifornia - where they leave the state in search of paradise and end up putting up parking lots - OR, UT, NV, AZ and certainly Austin, TX.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    You see that in all the states around Kalifornia - where they leave the state in search of paradise and end up putting up parking lots - OR, UT, NV, AZ and certainly Austin, TX.
    That is exactly what we experience with many northern Virginia (NoVa) transplanted residents.

NoVa to at least one user here is anything north of the Ni river.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    A "not from around here" guy moves to this freedom loving state, then wants to change it into what he left behind.

My point was that people relocating pack their personal baggage/beliefs/fears and then at the new location thrust the contents upon others. They try to duplicate their original environment. Question is of course, then why didn't they just stay where they were and save us all the aggravation?
    I have been screaming and lamenting about this for years. For many of you people who live in the more Southern parts of the state, you may not see or hear what I do on a daily basis. I live on the western fringe of Prince William County and while not technically part of Northern Virginia, demographically it is. We are more conservative out here than the eastern part of the county, but it really gets bad as you approach and get inside the capital beltway. It's amazing how many people I run across in stores and other places who have a northeastern accent down here.

Grapeshot is dead on accurate and correct in his assessment of a major problem we are seeing in our state. The transformation of what has traditionally Virginia culture and heritage into something else entirely. This worries me greatly because once it's gone it isn't coming back. You'd be amazed how many times I have to remind people up here that they are in the South. The look on their faces is one of disbelief.... you'd think someone insulted them. We are seeing the Florida'ing of our state.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    ... We are seeing the Florida'ing of our state.
    Really of the whole coast as the Yankees escape their tolerant Utopias of Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati ad anuseam. Out west it's called "Californication."

Charleston will soon be indistinguishable from Myrtle Beach indistinguishable from Atlantic Beach. Soon, too, Door County will be just like the Dells just like Cape Cod. Ya gotta love "progress. **** damn interstate highways.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-23-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Grapeshot is dead on accurate and correct in his assessment of a major problem we are seeing in our state. The transformation of what has traditionally Virginia culture and heritage into something else entirely. This worries me greatly because once it's gone it isn't coming back. You'd be amazed how many times I have to remind people up here that they are in the South. The look on their faces is one of disbelief.... you'd think someone insulted them. We are seeing the Florida'ing of our state.
    Finally! A common thread of thinking. What has concerned me for a generation is the refusal of newcomers to assimilate -- yes, to fit in and be as much like us as those who are already here as feasible.

I have seen many LTEs published in the RTD from persons leaving and returning North complaining how backward we rednecks are or whatever.

How ungrateful. What a poor attitude.

Basically, I'm fed up with narcissists who come here for jobs and not our way of life.

Here's a slogan: "Fit in or F~~k off!"

A conscious concern of mine is to "not bring the sickness that I was escaping." It makes me discrete in the issues I take up; I have to bite my lip when rifle hunting is banned because shotgun slugs have hit houses. I have to bite my lip at the implicit threat for not wearing blaze-orange. Gun season opens today.

The other day I realized that blaze-orange is REALLY for the DNR wardens to see illegal hunters. The ferries have been jammed for the last 48 hours with big-city hunters coming to an 20 square mile Island with ~1% public land.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Deer hunting on public land these days may get you a private plot

I won't even go for a walk in the woods during deer season many places.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast