• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry: "Gun-toters looked like vigilantes"

Repeater

This false narrative is tiresome ....

Gun-toters looked like vigilantes
Editor, Times-Dispatch:

Gov.-elect Terry McAuliffe received an “F” from the NRA. Good for him in taking on the NRA gun lobby in Virginia. It is about time someone stood up to the bullies.

In January, I along with colleagues of SALT, a faith-based ecumenical group of volunteers that advocates for the most vulnerable, were in Richmond to talk to members of the General Assembly. On the day we were there, hundreds of people were walking around the offices of Virginia delegates and senators with guns strapped to their hips.

I found this very alarming and asked one of the security guards if such was permitted in a public facility, especially one in which elected officials were gathered. With a frown on his face, he assured me that it was. He seemed uncomfortable, as was I.

I consider such to be extreme, unwarranted and very dangerous — and this comes from a guy who grew up in rural Illinois where everyone I knew had guns for hunting game. However, we did not take these lethal weapons to public meetings, schools, churches or to stores when shopping.

This display of lethal firepower at the offices of delegates and senators has nothing to do with the Second Amendment and the protection of citizens from the bad guys. How were any of us on a peaceful mission to know that those with weapons on their hips were the good guys? I felt threatened, and have to believe that some of our elected officials did not believe their security was being enhanced by many who looked like nothing more than vigilantes.

These folks displaying firearms in a public government building are not enhancing the security of Virginia citizens. That should be done by law enforcement. If we do not have sufficient number of law enforcement officers on the beat for security purposes, then shame on us.

Robert Stewart. Chantilly.

So, OC is bullying? And this from a guy who claims to be "faith-based" ... well, thou shall not bear False Witness.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
He's obviously a man of faith in contrary to evidence. He has faith that he either has no need to defend himself (because his life is of so little value), or believes that someone else will do it for him (their lives are of less value than his).

builtjeep

This false narrative is tiresome ....

Gun-toters looked like vigilantes

So, OC is bullying? And this from a guy who claims to be "faith-based" ... well, thou shall not bear False Witness.

I am merely an atheist heathen, but I'm always amused by those of "faith" who think everyone should be disarmed. The bible is full of quotes about defending oneself.

Luke 22:36 - And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

As well, I've never understood how one can believe that any god, who would give them this most precious gift of life, would wish that they lay down and allow that gift to be stolen without a fight.

Mark 3:27 - But no one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If the guy was truly worried about his well being due to Americans being about, he would have ran home, locked himself in his bedroom, crawled under his bed and cried himself to sleep.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Yup. Apparently he was so scared that he openly talked about the people "scaring" him in public while in their presence. Something doesn't add up.

va_tazdad

Amazing

"How were any of us on a peaceful mission to know that those with weapons on their hips were the good guys? "

I guess the criminals in Illinois always open carry their guns, right?

How do people this mentally deficient in common sense survive?

What Robert Stewart fails to understand is that by the time you see a criminal's gun, it is already too late. And just what made him think I or any of the other open carriers were there to provide security for him?

Fear not Robert Stewart, I promise I will NEVER use my gun to protect you. You have your "faith" for that!

Perhaps you should move back to Illinois where you won't be afraid of legally armed citizens and they practice your strange "faith".

Last edited:

Repeater

Hard-Core Progressive

Yup. Apparently he was so scared that he openly talked about the people "scaring" him in public while in their presence. Something doesn't add up.

Add this to the equation: if this facebook page is indeed him, he is a committed Progressive:
Favorites

Newspapers
Washington Post

Television
The Rachel Maddow Show
Hardball with Chris Matthews
The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell
PoliticsNation with Al Sharpton

Other
I Am Fr. Rowe,
American Girl,
BlueMountain.com,
Election 2012: Catholics Vote for the Common Good,
Draft Ashley Judd for Senate: Defeat Mitch McConnell,
Ethan Allen,
Catholic Extension,
Terry McAuliffe,
Paul Krugman,
Americans for Tax Fairness,
Holy Trinity Catholic Church,
Hung Nguyen for VA House of Delegates,
Jennifer McClellan,
Amending the Constitution so Corporations Can’t Buy Elections,
Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A "not from around here" guy moves to this freedom loving state, then wants to change it into what he left behind.

Sounds like a familiar lament of the weary, wayward wanderer & not to his native shore.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I love how OCing at the GA is not about the Second Amendment. Prolly 'cause 2A is only about hunting, right?

I'm not sure how many folks who own firearms would ever rise up and take arms against a government that refuses to abide by the rule of law. But I'm very happy to think that my elected representatives might be considering that the number might be greater than 1 when they are visually reminded that some of us have at least the means.

Please - no keyboard kommando comments. Let's stay on track for once and deal with Robert Stewart Chantilly's ignorance (which has nothing to do with his misplaced "feelings").

stay safe.

JohnM15A

Did it dawn on him to have conversation with one of those gun-toters to have a better understanding as to why one would carry a sidearm? It just cracks me up how these folks cower and then run away to complain on some public forum. Take some personal responsibility, you something wrong, take action and address it on the spot...

wylde007

Sounds like a familiar lament of the weary, wayward wanderer & not to his native shore.
Since 1865.
Did it dawn on him to have conversation with one of those gun-toters to have a better understanding as to why one would carry a sidearm?
Even though I know you meant that rhetorically, I can categorically say: no.

It did not dawn on him because he, like millions of other progressive interlopers he PROJECTS his own sense of self onto others. That is a terrible thought to contemplate that a man, representing a "faith-based group" would have such a low opinion of HIMSELF (let alone his fellow man) as to believe the worst of everyone and that our RIGHT to self defense ends at the front door of whatever establishment or venue we happen to be in at the same time.

This guy is the worst kind of coward. I am not surprised in the least that he is from Illinois, from where at least two of the worst human beings to ever walk this earth (and hold the office of high potentate) came.

The Wolfhound

I wonder if this ninny had to change his Depends?

Sure there were people OC, but the majority of us were CC, between the cold weather and the Byzantian requirement for a CHP to enter the GA armed. He was around a whole lot more guns than he even knew. Imagine all those guns and no incident. You are not in Illinois, bucko. If freedom bothers you, go back where you came from!

george11c

Lol Illinois

I was thinking on the way to work this morning:

Perhaps people like him fear others who legally protect themselves with firearms because he cannot trust himself with the responsibility of providing his own security. They must think that there is a 1-1 ratio of police officers to citizens everywhere. jeez.

Anyway, I laughed because my fiance is from Illinois. Firearms made her uncomfortable at first but I carry everywhere I go with her and she's agreed to taking a shooting class so she can perhaps buy her own. With knowledge, irrational fear can subside. :dude:

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Since 1865.--snipped--
1865? Do you refer to the end of the War Between the States?

I borrowed and adapted the reference from Poe who originally wrote To Helen in 1831, and then revised it in 1845. The trouble man died in 1849.

My point was that people relocating pack their personal baggage/beliefs/fears and then at the new location thrust the contents upon others. They try to duplicate their original environment. Question is of course, then why didn't they just stay where they were and save us all the aggravation?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...a guy who grew up in rural Illinois where everyone I knew had guns for hunting game. However, we did not take these lethal weapons to public meetings, schools, churches or to stores when shopping...

He intentionally leaves out the part that it isn't normal where he grew up because it is ILLEGAL where he grew up, except for cops, who are among the few classes of people who aren't potential random victims in Illinois.

He intentionally makes no distinction between a hunting arm and a sidearm.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

I plan to OC again this year on lobby day at the general assembly.

I will be sure to wear my "Concealed Handgun Permit Holder" sash and badge to ease Robert's fears and so he can distinguish me from all the armed vigilantes running around that day.

HPmatt

My point was that people relocating pack their personal baggage/beliefs/fears and then at the new location thrust the contents upon others. They try to duplicate their original environment.

You see that in all the states around Kalifornia - where they leave the state in search of paradise and end up putting up parking lots - OR, UT, NV, AZ and certainly Austin, TX.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You see that in all the states around Kalifornia - where they leave the state in search of paradise and end up putting up parking lots - OR, UT, NV, AZ and certainly Austin, TX.
That is exactly what we experience with many northern Virginia (NoVa) transplanted residents.

NoVa to at least one user here is anything north of the Ni river. :uhoh: