• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry: "Gun-toters looked like vigilantes"

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
A "not from around here" guy moves to this freedom loving state, then wants to change it into what he left behind.

Sounds like a familiar lament of the weary, wayward wanderer & not to his native shore.

My point was that people relocating pack their personal baggage/beliefs/fears and then at the new location thrust the contents upon others. They try to duplicate their original environment. Question is of course, then why didn't they just stay where they were and save us all the aggravation?

I have been screaming and lamenting about this for years. For many of you people who live in the more Southern parts of the state, you may not see or hear what I do on a daily basis. I live on the western fringe of Prince William County and while not technically part of Northern Virginia, demographically it is. We are more conservative out here than the eastern part of the county, but it really gets bad as you approach and get inside the capital beltway. It's amazing how many people I run across in stores and other places who have a northeastern accent down here.

Grapeshot is dead on accurate and correct in his assessment of a major problem we are seeing in our state. The transformation of what has traditionally Virginia culture and heritage into something else entirely. This worries me greatly because once it's gone it isn't coming back. You'd be amazed how many times I have to remind people up here that they are in the South. The look on their faces is one of disbelief.... you'd think someone insulted them. We are seeing the Florida'ing of our state.

Repeater

Grapeshot is dead on accurate and correct in his assessment of a major problem we are seeing in our state. The transformation of what has traditionally Virginia culture and heritage into something else entirely. This worries me greatly because once it's gone it isn't coming back. You'd be amazed how many times I have to remind people up here that they are in the South. The look on their faces is one of disbelief.... you'd think someone insulted them. We are seeing the Florida'ing of our state.

Finally! A common thread of thinking. What has concerned me for a generation is the refusal of newcomers to assimilate -- yes, to fit in and be as much like us as those who are already here as feasible.

I have seen many LTEs published in the RTD from persons leaving and returning North complaining how backward we rednecks are or whatever.

How ungrateful. What a poor attitude.

Basically, I'm fed up with narcissists who come here for jobs and not our way of life.

Here's a slogan: "Fit in or F~~k off!"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Deer hunting on public land these days may get you a private plot :uhoh:

I won't even go for a walk in the woods during deer season many places. :(

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Finally! A common thread of thinking. What has concerned me for a generation is the refusal of newcomers to assimilate -- yes, to fit in and be as much like us as those who are already here as feasible.

And what so many who defend the actions of those who come here and want to change things are apt to point out is that we are resistant to change. Well gee, I'll bet the same feelings exist in many other parts of the country, too. What we want to do is to preserve that which makes the South so special and so desirable for us. If we Florida'ize it, then everything that is special will be gone. I'll offer an example.

A few years back, the little town of Culpeper was "discovered". Life was a slower, simpler, and more laid back and home prices were a lot less than those of Fairfax, Loudoun, and Arlington. For the price of some miles and time, a different life could be had. So the closer-ins bought and settled in Culpeper. Before long, they began to find out that the local folks did things differently... had traditions and a way of life that was foreign to the newbies. One of those enjoyments was shooting on one's property. Can't have that, can we?

So the newbies tried their best to get this changed at town council meetings. Pass a law, stop the shooting, think of the children. Great way to ingratiate one's self with the local gentry. Fortunately, the locals won out. But that is a good example of outsiders moving in and wanting to change things that have existed for generations.... because they don't like it, they are not accustomed to it, and they want it stopped, as in changed.

When in Rome, do as the Romans is a time honored concept. You'd think with their higher education, they'd know this.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's the Ni River influence.......:uhoh:

All kidding aside, I've been beating this drum for years.

Last edited: