• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boston PD to monitor police cars by GPS tracking... officers don't like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKEgal

The headline says:
"Boston police officers wary of GPS for cruisers
Fear too much scrutiny of police under city’s plan"

Excuses range from being tracked to a meeting with a CI to the system being hacked and criminals knowing when it's safe to rob a bank.

administrators say the system gives dispatchers the ability to see where officers are, rather than wait for a radio response. Using GPS, they say, accelerates their response to a call

“No one likes it. Who wants to be followed all over the place?” said one officer...
It’s quite an intrusion on people’s lives

They'll also now be recording via in-station cameras, instead of only having live monitoring.
That's good for innocent officers who do not mistreat arrestees.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Reminds me of when I worked for Motorola in the public safety radio division. One optional feature for the portable radios was the ability of the dispatcher to remotely turn on the radio's mike if they weren't getting a response. More than once the dispatcher heard sounds that were indicative of anything but official business...

Most police unions pressured their jurisdiction to NOT include that particular feature...

Rusty Young Man

And the department must alert an officer if anyone from the public requests his or her GPS records.

“Our interest was the scrutiny,” said Joseph Sandulli, a lawyer for the Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association. “This thing keeps a permanent record of where an officer is all day. If he stops to go to the bathroom, that stop appears on the screen. If he goes a mile over the speed limit, someone can question that. It’s quite an intrusion on people’s lives.”

Davis acknowledged that one of the advantages to installing the system will be the ability to keep track of officers and make sure they are not leaving their district or patrol area without permission or driving recklessly.

One mile over the speed limit, unexplained stops, intruding into people's lives... where have I heard that happening before...:confused:

I would like to think that this system will help locate and hopefully indict the bad apples that give honourable police officers a bad name.

ron73440

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

Isn't that what we hear from the statists all the time?

Rusty Young Man

+1
Now, if we could see more bills requiring officers to carry a lapel voice/video recorder, we could really toss out the self-aggrandizing, heavy-handed thugs and reward the officers that really do the most to serve and protect the people and preserve the peace.

One thing I don't know if I like is the fact that the officer will be notified when a FOIA request comes in about their whereabouts at a particular time (to be fair, chances are they would receive an off-the-record heads-up anyway).

sudden valley gunner

One mile over the speed limit, unexplained stops, intruding into people's lives... where have I heard that happening before...:confused:

I would like to think that this system will help locate and hopefully indict the bad apples that give honourable police officers a bad name.

No such thing as a bad apple when the whole barrel is rotten....;)

+1

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I would like to think that this system will help locate and hopefully indict the bad apples that give honourable police officers a bad name.

Which is why all the honorable officers are fully and publicly supporting this program.

Primus

Which is why all the honorable officers are fully and publicly supporting this program.

I'd wear a body cam in a heart beat. The 1 thing that would screw me is my mouth. I tend to swear alot when people act belligerent. I'm all sirs and ma'ams until they start yelling and swearing.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'd wear a body cam in a heart beat. The 1 thing that would screw me is my mouth. I tend to swear alot when people act belligerent. I'm all sirs and ma'ams until they start yelling and swearing.

I rarely swear ... except when I'm doing my 1040 ... then its all swearing ... lol

Good and bad about recording yourself ... you are creating a record that could be used against you in court. w/o one - its he said-she said.

Nice video .... it shows why many of my cop friends don't respond to domestic violence calls. You never know what the heck is going on ... many girls being beat up will jump on the cop who is trying to protect her. Goofy.

people can wear body cams or mic themselves up .... just know that your recording could be used against you; even a snippet may sound bad.

I generally do record at admin hearings though.

Primus

Well, returning swearing with swearing is not escalating.

+1

Nailed it. I START with sir and ma'am. Always. Until they yell and swear and then I'll still attempt the niceties. In the end, some people literally won't listen until you talk like them. It's part of knowing who your dealing with and how to deal with them. Some people respond very well to niceties and appreciate the respect. Others will just do their own thing and yell over your or worse, until you respond in kind.

Primus

I rarely swear ... except when I'm doing my 1040 ... then its all swearing ... lol

Good and bad about recording yourself ... you are creating a record that could be used against you in court. w/o one - its he said-she said.

Nice video .... it shows why many of my cop friends don't respond to domestic violence calls. You never know what the heck is going on ... many girls being beat up will jump on the cop who is trying to protect her. Goofy.

people can wear body cams or mic themselves up .... just know that your recording could be used against you; even a snippet may sound bad.

I generally do record at admin hearings though.

What? How do they have an option? You go where your sent.... at least we do.

Primus

You can just quit can go to another department. Right?

Yes sir, I certainly could. Without even changing my address. I happen to actually like going to where I'm needed. For some crazy reason I actually want to help out that lady getting her face smashed in or getting stabbed by someone. I certainly don't do what I do for the free coffee.

And if I did move out of the city into a different place, my tax rate would change to something lower..... :lol:

sudden valley gunner

Yes sir, I certainly could. Without even changing my address. I happen to actually like going to where I'm needed. For some crazy reason I actually want to help out that lady getting her face smashed in or getting stabbed by someone. I certainly don't do what I do for the free coffee.

And if I did move out of the city into a different place, my tax rate would change to something lower..... :lol:

Oh ok so you were saying "how do you have an option" meaning "you have an option". Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.