• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you open carry?

TheAlien

First, please forgive me if this has been covered. Being new to the forum, I haven't had time to completely research the topic. I was wondering, why open carry? I get the whole "right to carry" issue. I have absolutely no problem with that. But from what I've read of the posts here, especially in the "NV - how did it go" thread, it seems like people open carry just to see if they can, and what type of confrontation/reaction they can get.

Yes, a lot of the stories are about how they were able to OC and nobody said anything, or someone appreciated it. But most of it seems like, "I wanna see what the reaction will be, just for the fun of it."

Although I don't wanna go back to "old-timey" days when everyone walked around with a holster on their hip, I don't envision a day when most people will carry and it will be so commonplace nobody is bothered. Everyone will eventually run into someone who will be uncomfortable, or will think (not knowing) that you're doing something illegal or may actually be a threat. Even I, when I lived in "The Burgh", was uncomfortable when I saw a black man with a pistol stuffed in the front of his pants while at my local poolhall. It was open, clearly visible. And, although it obviously sounds racist (though not meant to be), it made me uncomfortable. I dialed 911. I also admit, after the cops arrived and it was all explained, (I sat quietly in the corner and kept my mouth shut, un-noticed) I went over to the guy, told him it was I that called the police, and apologized. I felt like crap and told him so. He said he understood and didn't blame me. I still felt like crap for being both an unknowning butthole for not knowing the law, and for being, I guess, racist, in that situation. (And yes, I probably wouldn't have said a word if it was a white guy, and that makes me feel even worse)

Would I like to see open carry with no issues whatsoever? I'm actually not sure. I know this sounds stupid to most, but I think concealed carry would be more appropriate. You can protect yourself and others, without making anyone feel like I did. Am I happy there are people who are legally armed walking the streets? Absofrigginlutley. Would I carry? If I could get a concealed, you bet your ass.

So, with that in mind, why do you open carry? Are you trying to make it so commonplace that people like me aren't upset or worried? Are you doing it just to see the reaction? Is it something you're doing to make you feel more powerful because you feel lesser without it? Or are you doing it because you want to feel safe and cannot CC, or feel so afraid to go out in public because of all the crime? Is it because, "I can do that thing, so I must do that thing"? Or is it another reason altogether? I'm actually curious. Please don't take this is as me being a ****** or trying to incite. I'm trying to understand. I want to argue the point, if needed, to others if they ask, and I can't do that without a proper understanding. So please, be honest. I never argue unless I know I can win, and I want to be able to properly argue this point.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...But from what I've read of the posts here, especially in the "NV - how did it go" thread, it seems like people open carry just to see if they can, and what type of confrontation/reaction they can get.

Yes, a lot of the stories are about how they were able to OC and nobody said anything, or someone appreciated it. But most of it seems like, "I wanna see what the reaction will be, just for the fun of it."...

Really?

I'll comment more later, but please give some serious rethought to that, maybe going back through the thread if you need to. Could you give us an example of a post that you thought seemed that way?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Although I don't wanna go back to "old-timey" days when everyone walked around with a holster on their hip, I don't envision a day when most people will carry and it will be so commonplace nobody is bothered. Everyone will eventually run into someone who will be uncomfortable, or will think (not knowing) that you're doing something illegal or may actually be a threat. Even I, when I lived in "The Burgh", was uncomfortable when I saw a black man with a pistol stuffed in the front of his pants while at my local poolhall. It was open, clearly visible...

There was virtually no crime in the "old-timey" days. Once we urbanized, there was still very little crime, and now also less chance of wild animals in the streets and daily hunting for food, so carrying by "gentlemen" fell out of favor. No big deal because crime was unheard of enough to be a a good risk. They hadn't yet invented the Western movie with the gunfights and bank robberies in every plot. It took a couple generations before poorly bred people recognized the easy unarmed pickings in the urban areas. By this time, gentlemen looked out of place carrying a firearm and it mussed up their suit. So while concealed carry had been made illegal because it was only for criminals, now the gentlemen wanted to be armed but not look like working outdoorsy people, so they get licensed permission from the state to carry concealed derringers and other small less-useful guns designed for ladies and poker players.

People used to be a lot more "uncomfortable" around guys with tattoos. Why is that not so anymore? Because a lot more people started doing it, and doing it on places that they didn't cover up. It's actually normal now, and only other factors would cause someone to be uncomfortable around a tattooed man.

What is "The Burgh?" Was this man's gun in a holster? While legal, a "gun stuffed in the front of his pants" is not the same appearance as a holstered sidearm on the hip, which is how the vast majority of people carry. It's more the appearance of exposure of a concealed firearm, which should draw more attention because that is how all criminals carry. But, if it REALLY alarmed you enough to call the police, why did you also stay?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Would I like to see open carry with no issues whatsoever? I'm actually not sure. I know this sounds stupid to most, but I think concealed carry would be more appropriate. You can protect yourself and others, without making anyone feel like I did. Am I happy there are people who are legally armed walking the streets? Absofrigginlutley. Would I carry? If I could get a concealed, you bet your ass.

So, with that in mind, why do you open carry? Are you trying to make it so commonplace that people like me aren't upset or worried? Are you doing it just to see the reaction? Is it something you're doing to make you feel more powerful because you feel lesser without it? Or are you doing it because you want to feel safe and cannot CC, or feel so afraid to go out in public because of all the crime? Is it because, "I can do that thing, so I must do that thing"? Or is it another reason altogether? I'm actually curious. Please don't take this is as me being a ****** or trying to incite. I'm trying to understand. I want to argue the point, if needed, to others if they ask, and I can't do that without a proper understanding. So please, be honest. I never argue unless I know I can win, and I want to be able to properly argue this point.

Define "appropriate." Concealed carry is less comfortable, even with a smaller, less-useful firearm, especially in the usual warmer months.

A CCW permit here, even though an intrusive, expensive, 4-month process, is shall-issue. What prevents you from doing it? Because all of those are valid reasons, and there are some here who refuse to get such an insulting "permit" and would rather be free people like they keep being told they are by songs and other propaganda.

Of course I carry a firearm because it makes me more powerful. Indeed, it is the only thing that gives me any power. I'm a skinny weakling who doesn't know how to fight, especially against a dog, which is probably the most likely attacker in an urban environment outside of downtown alleyways. But John Browning helped make me equal to any other man, and superior to the animals, and I carry my tool in the most comfortable and accessible and secure way practical, a strong-side hip holster.

TheAlien

First of all, please understand, I did not mean any disrespect. If I came off that way, I truly apologize.

As to why I came to the conclusion that "most of it" seemed like just a reaction getter, a lot of the posts consist somewhere of something like, "I went in to blah blah to see..." That is what I'm going off of.

The Burgh is how I refer to my most recent hometown. I didn't want to give more specifics than that at the time and hoped someone would recognize it.

Thank you for the brief history of why wearing a gun went out of style, it actually makes sense. Your description of yourself makes me think I met you a few weeks ago. And the analogy of tattoos reminded me of the "boiling a frog" analogy...

The guy I called the cops on had the gun, literally stuffed, holster-less, down the front of his pants...kind of like some people in the movies stuff it down the back of their pants, with just the handle sticking out above his beltline. Being holster-less is what made it seem more inappropriate and intimidating. I stayed around to see if I did the right thing. Apparently I was overly cautious. I don't regret that part, just that I was wrong. Had I been correct in my bad assumption, I would have felt justified in getting a gangbanger off the street.

As for being a freedom loving gun owner, I am. And luckily, if something happens to my dad (he's old and his health is failing and that worries me) I'll have many more. My dad has made sure I get his guns, as well as the safe I bought him about 10 years ago.

Again, I appreciate the responses. I'm just trying to build a better argument for OC. Too many times I hear, "Are you just trying to tick people off?" or "Why would you want a scene?" kinds of responses. Not to mention the implication of it being putting your "manhood" on your hip...which just makes me shake my head nowadays. And I used to be just like them. I appreciate those who have a gun on them, post every article I can find to share, but with the current environment of fear that's being drilled into people, I couldn't rationalize OC. In order to argue against those people, I need better arguments than what I've come up with.

I can't carry at this time due to something that happened over 26 years ago. I'm in the process of attempting to get my record expunged. BTW, any advise there would be helpful as well. No attorney in Maryland (where the issue exists) has responded to my request for assistance, but it's all been using email through websites.

I hope this explains my original post. And thank you again for any responses.

Vegassteve

As to why I came to the conclusion that "most of it" seemed like just a reaction getter, a lot of the posts consist somewhere of something like, "I went in to blah blah to see..." That is what I'm going off of.

As for being a freedom loving gun owner, I am. And luckily, if something happens to my dad (he's old and his health is failing and that worries me) I'll have many more. My dad has made sure I get his guns, as well as the safe I bought him about 10 years ago.

I can't carry at this time due to something that happened over 26 years ago. I'm in the process of attempting to get my record expunged. BTW, any advise there would be helpful as well. No attorney in Maryland (where the issue exists) has responded to my request for assistance, but it's all been using email through websites.

I will take these one by one.

As far as folks saying I went to blah blah. That helps those who carry decide what places are friendly. Those places that deserve our time and money.

A freedom loving gun owner then wouldnt say things as you did. Like ..Would I like to see open carry with no issues whatsoever? I'm actually not sure.

And last you state you get your Dads guns but you cant carry? If you cant carry then more than likely you cant own it would seem. This is Nevada if you can own a gun you can carry a gun.

Fallschirjmäger

Is there ever an answer that satisfies the people that ask this question?

"Why do you open carry when it makes me nervous?"
I don't open carry for you. Without a firearm I look like nice fat prey on the hoof; with a firearm I'm prey that can fight back. It's just that simple.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I carry open, and concealed'
I mostly carry open, however I feel the need to conceal around some of my customers. I prefer open carry, here is why, in no particular order.

• While in line at the grocery, I usually get into a conversation with another gun owner about a topic I actually like, not the weather. When in line concealed, no one ever strikes up a conversation with me about firearms.
  • By open carrying, I do not represent myself as a potential victim. (deterrent value)
  • Open carry is much more comfortable than concealing, I drive quite a bit and my gun is just as comfortable driving, as walking.
  • By open Carrying I am quickly alerted by shop owners if their business is worthy of my support.
  • With open carry, access to my firearm remains much more consistent even though the clothes change season to season.
  • Since concealed carry is regulated more, there are less places that you can carry concealed. This also means that it would be easier to unknowingly break a law while conceal carrying.
  • I ride a motorcycle, locking my gun in the car is not always an option.
  • Open carry voids some not so good laws.
  • Chicks dig it!

Bernymac

I like pistols. I like the craftsmanship that goes into the making of a firearm. The beauty, the function, the utility of the firearm impresses me. I practice, I train so that I can effectively use them. The fact that I can carry them openly is a plus and I will take advantage of that. The external effect that comes about the open carry of the firearm is a plus. The disdain or discomfort of the observer to what I carry is not my concern. My reasoning to carry is irrelevant, your acceptance is irrelevant. You alone can affect your choice and the acceptance of another's choice. Your action that affects another's life or well being is relevant and if you chose to act as to affect mine, then you will meet with equal (or perhaps more) and opposite reaction.

And yeah, chicks dig it!

Last edited:

28kfps

I am actually glad the OP started this. Driving out some very good points. For the TheAlien to come to the conclusion to say, “ what I've read of the posts here, especially in the "NV - how did it go" thread, it seems like people open carry just to see if they can, and what type of confrontation/reaction they can get.” Is proof of another person letting the anti gun propaganda and brainwashing affect them.

I am gong out on a limb based on meeting many of the NV OC posters in person. I am of the opinion your statement ‘people open carry just to see if they can, and what type of confrontation/reaction they can get” may be correct however you are overlooking the mission of at least the majority of OCers I know in NV. That is looking for a confrontation and reaction NOT to happen. If a negative reaction does happen most preferred action is to educate them or depending on their reaction letting them know we will not set foot in their facility. The results are posted and we all learn from it.

None of the OCers I know mostly in NV like confrontation however due to the anti gun brainwashing group including the media effect on the masses negative confrontation and reaction to a completely legal and protected right is going to happen. Fortunately in NV these confrontation are happening less due to NV OCers willingness to train those that do confront and react to the legal activity of open carrying.

Now why do I open carry because it gives me a sense of security, I feel safer, my wife of 35 years feels safer and she likes me armed. I use to conceal carry for over 25 years found open carry more comfortable, I am on a motorcycle a lot and received more respect in heavy traffic. I get more respect standing in the check out line, in the aisle people are more likely to say excuse me. There is the collateral advantage of complete strangers asking about gun laws and positive real time feed back such as good to see you exercising your 2nd amendment rights.

To bad we do not have more of the NV OC meet ups or outings. I do believe if TheAlien could hang out with a group of NV open carry persons for a few hours I am fairly sure the person would come away with whole new appreciation for the NV open carry persons.

Maverick9

I think it might be prudent for the OP to tell the truth.

First if he can't carry, then he has outed him/her self for having firearms, somewhere and should probably delete those comments.

Perhaps the OP has anger, entitlement, substance abuse issues and thus can't get a permit. I don't believe you can purchase a firearm with felonies on your record.

Where the OP gets the idea the 'most OC-ers' do it to show off? Actually no OC-ers do it to show off and all of them would like to be left alone. They might OC to prevent the need to get a permission slip. Constitutional carry (OC or CC without permits) would be good.

We know that 'legally purchasing', or even BG checks do not prevent a lone nut from using a firearm to take lives or do unlawful things. The vast majority of LACs are just that, law-abiding.

Perhaps the OP should be asking 'should we stop permitting our LEOs from carrying firearms, they seem too eager to use them?'.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...To bad we do not have more of the NV OC meet ups or outings. I do believe if TheAlien could hang out with a group of NV open carry persons for a few hours I am fairly sure the person would come away with whole new appreciation for the NV open carry persons.

He was with us at that pub in the NW. Nice guy, too. He posted on that thread with the picture of us. You and I got sidetracked when we figured out our connection from long ago.

The Big Guy

Why do I open carry? Hmmmm! Let's see. First off I don't really give a rat's backside what others think of it. I don't care if it makes people "nervous". Their problems are not my concern. Truthfully I don't really have any problems with bad reactions. I do however get good reactions from other folks. For instance in the car dealers waiting room this last week a guy noticed and calmly said "38?" (By the way I get that question time and again.) To which I gave my standard reply "nope, .357." "Wow!" he said. "I'm sure glad to see that we still have that freedom here in NV." Interestingly enough, he didn't even know that you had to register in Clark County and that you didn't in other NV counties. Surprised him. Obviously not a gun guy.

Now for the answer to the question: Because I am no longer a young guy with the speed and strength I once had. Because of my bad back and leg and nerve damage and other assorted illnesses I'm no longer able to stand or flee. Armed is the best way I have to defend my family and myself. I open carry because it affords me the best opportunity to avoid trouble. Even if we had Constitutional carry I would still opt for OC because it gives me much quicker reaction time. Even more than that, I REFUSE to ask permission to do what I have a right to do, so I will not ask the Massa for a permission slip. I am armed therefore I am a free man.

The side benefits are that you get to meet a lot of like minded folks and have some truly stimulating conversations. You find out there are others out there that do understand where we are and where we are heading as a society. The more people see others OC the more they get used to it.

I do have to admit that the thought of causing the Libs to wet their pants curiously brings a smile to my face.

TBG

Last edited:

28kfps

He was with us at that pub in the NW. Nice guy, too. He posted on that thread with the picture of us. You and I got sidetracked when we figured out our connection from long ago.

Ok interesting, Kind of takes the wind out of the sails of my meeting those that open carry statement. If he is the one I remember he does not own a firearm of any kind. He was pleasant to talk to and appeared to be on our side of the fence.

TheAlien

First, implying that I am a liar is a really bad way to address anyone if they have no proof, and prevents me from paying much attention to any future posts from that particular individual.

Second, I do not "own" guns of any kind. My father has what used to be my guns, as well as many many more that I will get upon his demise. THIS is why I need to get my record expunged fairly soon.

Finally, yes, I was the guy some of you met at the pub. I found you all quite friendly, in person. I was asking the question in my original post for the reason I specified, there was no reason to doubt that reason. I appreciate all the responses I've gotten, and thank you for those. Yes, I am on "your side of the fence" and hope to one day, when I am legal to own a gun again, carry as well. THAT, as I said earlier, is why I asked... to answer the question with my own reasons and not feel like an idiot.

Again, thank you for your responses, feel free to continue posting them if you wish.

Now, somebody please direct me to a good attorney. :lol:

Turbod'1

In TheAliens defense, I think that much of it has to do with me and my transition from CCW to OC. Much like the "How did it go thread", I would give him updates on what did or didn't happen whist OC'ing.

While I made it clear that I WASN'T looking for a confrontation, truth be told, I was looking for CONFIRMATION that what I was doing was "acceptable" in NV; which I have determined it IS based upon numerous non-issues while OC'ing.

With that said, there were plenty of good points made in this thread but let us keep in mind that it can be a difficult transition for people not used to seeing guns openly. As such, we should educate and not demean those testing the waters. ;)

vegaspassat

I won't say that I've ignored this thread, but I have refrained from posting because there are MUCH smarter people on these forums than I am. That being said, I feel like I've waited long enough so here is my response:

Why do you open carry?

For safety

Most people will see the rationale for needing to "feel safe" by way of carrying a gun. (Though they may not agree with it. Most Americans, I've found, aren't anti gun. They are anti-people-they-don't-know/trust carrying guns. This is why every gun control advocate is ok with military and police open carrying.) Usually this brings the discussion to:

Then why don't you get a CCW? That way you don't draw that attention to yourself?

Why would I pay to do something I can do for free? I can carry MORE places openly than concealed, and I don't have to pay for it. The only difference being a piece of clothing covering my firearm (At this point I demonstrate by illegally covering my firearm with my shirt). You telling me I have to pay anywhere from 100 to 500 dollars and get a background check just to do this?

But you can't go into banks/bars/casinos/with cops around/etc.

Actually, in Nevada I can. And I have. With no issues

If they press the issue about safety, I like to break it down in a metaphor.

Are you REALLY that paranoid about somebody coming at you with a fully automatic glock machine gun that you have to carry a pistol? Are you planning/looking for trouble/to be a hero?

Do you wear your seat belt when you drive?

Yeah.

Does that mean that you are in constant fear of some drunk driver hitting you? Do you put it on so that you can drive recklessly?

The last thing an anti-open carrier cares about is what you want to do with your rights. I know this because I used to be one. Openly carrying a firearm is the same to an anti as shoving the word of yaweh/christ/allah/head of cabbage named fred down people's throats. To them, your rights are all well and good, and fine for you to exercise, as long as it doesn't make someone uncomfortable or offended.

Last edited:

28kfps

I won't say that I've ignored this thread, but I have refrained from posting because there are MUCH smarter people on these forums than I am. That being said, I feel like I've waited long enough so here is my response:

Why do you open carry?
For safety

Most people will see the rationale for needing to "feel safe" by way of carrying a gun. (Though they may not agree with it. Most Americans, I've found, aren't anti gun. They are anti-people-they-don't-know/trust carrying guns. This is why every gun control advocate is ok with military and police open carrying.) Usually this brings the discussion to:

Then why don't you get a CCW? That way you don't draw that attention to yourself?
Why would I pay to do something I can do for free? I can carry MORE places openly than concealed, and I don't have to pay for it. The only difference being a piece of clothing covering my firearm (At this point I demonstrate by illegally covering my firearm with my shirt). You telling me I have to pay anywhere from 100 to 500 dollars and get a background check just to do this?
But you can't go into banks/bars/casinos/with cops around/etc.
Actually, in Nevada I can. And I have. With no issues

If they press the issue about safety, I like to break it down in a metaphor.

Are you REALLY that paranoid about somebody coming at you with a fully automatic glock machine gun that you have to carry a pistol? Are you planning/looking for trouble/to be a hero?
Do you wear your seat belt when you drive?
Yeah.
Does that mean that you are in constant fear of some drunk driver hitting you? Do you put it on so that you can drive recklessly?

The last thing an anti-open carrier cares about is what you want to do with your rights. I know this because I used to be one. Openly carrying a firearm is the same to an anti as shoving the word of yaweh/christ/allah/head of cabbage named fred down people's throats. To them, your rights are all well and good, and fine for you to exercise, as long as it doesn't make someone uncomfortable or offended.

It would appear from this and other postings your views and opinion of not making someone uncomfortable or offend is lacking a serious dose of wisdom.