Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun safety gun safety gun safety... How many times does it have to be said???

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

Gun safety gun safety gun safety... How many times does it have to be said???

Warning - graphic medical photos... Guy shoots himself in the hand while disassembling his pistol because he ignored multiple gun safety rules.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6829209&type=1
    Advocate freedom please

How many times? Just once to who will listen and hear. Like reactor safety, there are no accidents, but only negligence.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

While I applaud his decision to share his foul up for the benefit of others, something like this should never happen to a properly trained individual. You have to screw up so many fundamentals for something like this to happen. Excellent example of why they should be called "negligent discharges" not "accidental discharges".

Hopefully the guy heals up quick and gets himself into a safety class ASAP.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)
    If you CCW, consider the benefits of joining CCWSafe.com.

How Many Times?

Usually just one personal example will suffice. I doubt this guy will do it again.

Wow!!!

I bet he was dry firing a GLOCK, just like the vidio shows
    So that you can take off the slide...
    The Official company vidio shows you to point it right into your hand as you dry fire it!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    The Official company vidio shows you to point it right into your hand as you dry fire it!!!
    "Vidio ?" Contraction for Vidiot?

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I think that you are right

"... A customer of ours shared these photos with us so others can learn from his mistake -- pulling the trigger on his pistol when beginning the disassembly process before making sure it was unloaded (and making sure the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction). ..."
    Advocate freedom please

I guess I am slow~~I just don't understand how anyone dry fires a firearm without visually inspecting the chamber SEVERAL times. And certainly never point a firearm at yourself or anything else even when dry firing.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I guess I am slow~~I just don't understand how anyone dry fires a firearm without visually inspecting the chamber SEVERAL times. And certainly never point a firearm at yourself or anything else even when dry firing.
    Lots of stupid people in the world.

<humor>Never point a firearm at anything even when dry firing, what are you supposed to do with the muzzle?</humor>Even an air-shot will kill the baby that's a mile away and in the other direction.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-22-2013 at 06:09 PM.

One example of how this can happen:

1. Guy racks the slide to eject a round, allows it to go into battery.
    2. After step 1, guy ejects the magazine.
    3. Guy pulls trigger.....BOOOM!!

The reason I know about this is that we had quite a few military policemen do just this with 1911A1s. Most were lucky and shot no one. Some few either killed themselves or fellow MPs.

All it takes is just a moment's lapse of attention, allowing something or someone to distract you, or, even if you follow the correct procedures, not adequately checking the chamber.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

stupid people are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post

The reason I know about this is that we had quite a few military policemen do just this with 1911A1s. Most were lucky and shot no one. Some few either killed themselves or fellow MPs.

All it takes is just a moment's lapse of attention, allowing something or someone to distract you, or, even if you follow the correct procedures, not adequately checking the chamber.
    But you see I am anal OCD about checking the chamber, I usually count to three, then put it down, pick it up, count to three times again to make sure it is empty. But I will admit I only clear it a few times a year, most of the time I leave it loaded.

Everybody should be OCD when clearing a firearm.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I try to make it a habit to rack the slide repeatedly and "frantically" before dry firing. Meaning, I make a "big deal" out of it. I do this to try and break the "routine" feeling of it. With many things, many routines, I may be thinking "did I do that already?" and think back to the morning, or previous day even, and remember doing it then, and then realize that I hadn't done it yet now, in this instance, but I was remembering a past instance. Well, with guns, falling into that sort of routine and having those memory mixups can be deadly, so I try to break the "routine" feeling of it any way that I can.
    Advocate freedom please

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post

No it's simple stupidity. If you understand how your firearm operates you cannot possibly shoot yourself if you have half a brain!

A solution that involves either a thin pencil and/or a bucket of sand is readily available.

Lock the slide, drop the pencil down the barrel until you see it in the chamber. Put the magazine away. Remove pencil.

Close slide after inserting a snap cap. Point down into the bucket of sand and flex the trigger finger. 100% safe. If it goes off somehow, the round is captured by the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    A solution that involves either a thin pencil and/or a bucket of sand is readily available.

Lock the slide, drop the pencil down the barrel until you see it in the chamber. Put the magazine away. Remove pencil.

Close slide after inserting a snap cap. Point down into the bucket of sand and flex the trigger finger. 100% safe. If it goes off somehow, the round is captured by the bucket.
    A better solution is to have more than five or six functioning brain cells!

Protocol currently being reviewed by the national law enforcement instructors group has folks dropping the magazine, racking the slide to extract/eject the round in the chamber, and then inserting a new magazine loaded with one (1) snap cap. Release the slide, thus placing the snap cap in the chamber.

Makes lots of sense.

Odds of any but the few already anally contientious doing all those steps? Diminishingly slim.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

A pencil is a good way to check the firing pin for function. As far as a empty chamber, look, look again, and then look again. You can never look too many times.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

But you see I am anal OCD about checking the chamber, I usually count to three, then put it down, pick it up, count to three times again to make sure it is empty. But I will admit I only clear it a few times a year, most of the time I leave it loaded.

Everybody should be OCD when clearing a firearm.
    I was just about to start a thread about that.
    Question: when you store your pistol, do you just leave a live round in the chamber, a full magazine in the magwell and the hammer back and safety on?

The reason I ask is because I carry a 1911, but my clearing the gun to store it (I can't take it onto university property) but then clambering a new round from the magazine has led to 7 rounds with visible set back that I can now never use in my 1911.

Also, I agree with triple-checking for an empty chamber (even though my 1911 has a "loaded chamber indicator" notch in the barrel hood).
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I was just about to start a thread about that.
    Question: when you store your pistol, do you just leave a live round in the chamber, a full magazine in the magwell and the hammer back and safety on?

The reason I ask is because I carry a 1911, but my clearing the gun to store it (I can't take it onto university property) but then clambering a new round from the magazine has led to 7 rounds with visible set back that I can now never use in my 1911.

Also, I agree with triple-checking for an empty chamber (even though my 1911 has a "loaded chamber indicator" notch in the barrel hood).
    Unless I service my sidearms they remain loaded all the time. As far as university property buy a lock box for the trunk, put the gun in loaded and cable it to a frame section of the trunk. We have a lock box under the seat, plus two cables with locks in the trunk. The cables are used for guns with a mag safety, or revolvers. DA revolvers cannot fire if the cable is behind the trigger.

SA revolvers I only carry when I know I will not have to stow them in the car. If it does come up, I do unload them, or remove the cylinder.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    A pencil is a good way to check the firing pin for function. As far as a empty chamber, look, look again, and then look again. You can never look too many times.
    Or just a primed piece of brass.

This guy made a mistake; it only hurt himself.

Out of handling +200MM guns by citizens this is bound to be seen.

He did not get any special stitch design ... like a bald eagle pattern.

Bummer...at least get a cool scar to go the the stupid story (I'm sure he'll be talking about a gator attack or something lol)

Why waste a primer, the pencil works just fine.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Why waste a primer, the pencil works just fine.
    How very thoughtful of both of you.

Quick question: Would my 1911 take well to always (except for cleaning/handling) being stored in Condition 1? I guess the springs shouldn't wear since they won't be compressed and relaxed so often anymore, right?
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast